The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Remind me again - Exactly how many trademarks has China granted to Biden or his family members ?

I dunno. Remind me again, exactly how many China trademark applications has Biden or his family members submitted? I'm guessing zero. Apparently, you think there is something mystical, or nefarious, or corrupt about getting a trademark application approved in China. There is not. The way you get a trademark in any country, including China, is to submit an application, and as long as no one else has already registered the trademark, you get it. In the case of China specifically, you can directly file an application with the China Trade Mark Office (CTMO) or file the application through the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). That's it. That's all there is to it. And once you get it, all it means is no one else can sell goods or services using your trademark.

China approves thousands of trademarks every year. In 2005 alone, Donald Trump had 126 trademarks registered in China. You think they were approved because Trump was thinking about maybe running for President in 10 years? Trademarks protect your brand from theft and copycats. That's all they do. Even in China.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It’s an authoritarian, communist country.
So are Laos, Vietnam, Cuba and North Korea. Yet, somehow, companies from all over the world, including, believe it or not, the United States, have registered trademarks in those countries. I don't know who it was who first jumped on this Trump China Trademark bandwagon, but it's stupid. Breathtakingly stupid. Its trying to manufacture controversy where even the mechanisms for controversy, corruption and conflict of interest aren't even a thing. A registered trademark isn't a gift, nor does it give anyone leverage, other than leverage to the trademark holder to pursue legal solutions against a trademark infringement. That's it.

There is no upside to playing games with registered trademarks. In fact, the consequences for doing so can be as bad as losing your own country's trademarks all over the world. Not just in retaliation by individual countries, but as a hammer from the WIPO. The WIPO is one of the specialized agencies of the UN, and oversees international IP promotion, rules and regulations, and disputes. There are 193 member states of the WIPO, all of which are signatories of the 26 odd international treaties within the body, and all (mostly) abide by the membership requirements. The only countries which are not member states of the WIPO are the Federated States of Micronesia, Palau and South Sudan.

Getting a registered trademark in an authoritarian, communist country is easy. Getting one in the South Sudan, not so easy.
... “Wuhan Flu” ... remember ?
Unlike some people, I can't read minds, so I have no idea what the possible connection to Wuhan Flu and registered trademarks would be. Is that a brand name of a virus? Does it affect the price of tea in China?

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Trump now says wearing masks is patriotic and he tweeted a photo of himself masked to make the point. Will those who criticized masks and refused to wear them because they were a violation of their constitutional rights now criticize Trump for also violating their rights? What happened to these rights now that the president encourages mask wearing?

Has Trump now become the Mask-Nazi in Chief?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Donald Trump recently tweeted a photo of himself wearing a mask and wrote: "many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can't socially distance. There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President!"

On another occasion, he said, "Whether you like the mask or not, they have an impact," and later added that he "will use it gladly, no problem with it."

Trump also said the pandemic will get worse before it gets better. He did not say it is under control. He did not say it will magically disappear. He did not say it is a hoax.

Last night on Hannity, explaining why he canceled the Republican convention in Jacksonville, FL, he said he is "setting an example" with the last-minute change, which he hopes will encourage citizens to practice social distancing.

These statements and actions are quite different than those before. Why is he making this shift? Hint: Polls

Trump supporters like to say the polls don't matter because they are wrong. My guess is Trump is paying very close attention to the polls and he believes them.

Biden % / Trump %

Recent Fox Poll
Michigan: 49/40*
Minnesota: 51/38
Pennsylvania: 50/39*

Quinnipiac Poll
Florida: 51/38*

Other Polls in Selected States (Source: FiveThirtyEight)
Arizona: 49/45*
Iowa 48/46*
Nebraska 51/34*
Ohio 50/46*
Wisconsin 48/45*

National (Quinnipiac): 52/37

*Trump won electoral vote in this state in 2016

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I see Dems are now criticizing Trump for cancelling the convention while still advocating that schools need to be open. He's just following science though.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Donald Trump recently tweeted a photo of himself wearing a mask and wrote: "many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can't socially distance. There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President!"

On another occasion, he said, "Whether you like the mask or not, they have an impact," and later added that he "will use it gladly, no problem with it."

Trump also said the pandemic will get worse before it gets better. He did not say it is under control. He did not say it will magically disappear. He did not say it is a hoax.

Last night on Hannity, explaining why he canceled the Republican convention in Jacksonville, FL, he said he is "setting an example" with the last-minute change, which he hopes will encourage citizens to practice social distancing.

These statements and actions are quite different than those before. Why is he making this shift? Hint: Polls

Trump supporters like to say the polls don't matter because they are wrong. My guess is Trump is paying very close attention to the polls and he believes them.

Biden % / Trump %

Recent Fox Poll
Michigan: 49/40*
Minnesota: 51/38
Pennsylvania: 50/39*

Quinnipiac Poll
Florida: 51/38*

Other Polls in Selected States (Source: FiveThirtyEight)
Arizona: 49/45*
Iowa 48/46*
Nebraska 51/34*
Ohio 50/46*
Wisconsin 48/45*

National (Quinnipiac): 52/37

*Trump won electoral vote in this state in 2016
I think in the coming months you'll see an onslaught of Trump appearances/interviews with mostly all takers in lieu of the convention and rallies. ( I'm seeing it already) He will make himself extremely accessible and communicate to as many audiences as he can. That, as well as "actuon, action, action" as Steve Bannon likes to say will at least make his case to the electorate. Biden, on the other hand, doesn't have a message other than to capitulate to the unhinged radical mob on every issue. There will definitely be a clear choice between the candidates.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think in the coming months you'll see an onslaught of Trump appearances/interviews with mostly all takers in lieu of the convention and rallies. ( I'm seeing it already) He will make himself extremely accessible and communicate to as many audiences as he can. That, as well as "actuon, action, action" as Steve Bannon likes to say will at least make his case to the electorate. Biden, on the other hand, doesn't have a message other than to capitulate to the unhinged radical mob on every issue. There will definitely be a clear choice between the candidates.

You might be right. It may be that Biden's campaign strategy is to stay as quiet and say as little as possible. Instead of working to defeat Trump, let Trump self-destruct. Poll numbers suggest that strategy is working so far, and now that Trump has resumed his coronavirus briefings, more self-destruction is likely. His recent Fox News interview did not gain him any additional votes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have no way to know the mind of Fox News, but one thing thing I'm watching for as a possibility is the Fox News decision to turn on Trump or somehow distance themselves from him in some way. If they come to believe he is going to lose (which they may already believe), their challenge will be how to proceed post-Trump. Trump himself may want to take his audience with him to a new media outlet of some type ("Trump TV"). Hard to know but it will be interesting to see what Fox does.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I have no way to know the mind of Fox News, but one thing thing I'm watching for as a possibility is the Fox News decision to turn on Trump or somehow distance themselves from him in some way. If they come to believe he is going to lose (which they may already believe), their challenge will be how to proceed post-Trump. Trump himself may want to take his audience with him to a new media outlet of some type ("Trump TV"). Hard to know but it will be interesting to see what Fox does.
They've had anti Trump individuals the whole time he has been President. See Neil Cavuto's unhinged rant about Trump and hydroxochliroquine. Nothing new.