TRANSIT WOES

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had you not done the mini-sub thing would you still be due for shocks and struts?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unbelievable! Have you double checked with other Ford dealers? I imagine after pulling and replacing the dash it will rattle and squeak.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, no! But if Ford is correct struts for front have 7 hour labor cost, because............you have to remove the dash because they are bolted up behind the dash.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

WOM, my dealer gave me a service department DVD disk. When I get home I'll look up the front strut replacement. Can't believe the dash would need to come out! Remember before the Transit's were released people were saying the headlight bulbs weren't replaceable, they were saying that you had to buy the complete headlight assembly. Turns out it's just 2 easy screws right on top of the headlight assembly for bulb replacement. The struts themselves are reasonably priced.
c05487ab8a6c5b65457a092b8202d77c.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As previously mentioned, I was gifted with incredible good looks but not much automotive knowledge. So just a parrot repeating what I was told. Look forward to what you find.

Just hold off on getting it done yet. I'll be home Tuesday and not going back in service until Monday. If it doesn't require dash removal we could probably do it at my house. Might cost you parts plus dinner!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I just visited my favorite dealer and had a nice chat with the service manager. Dash does not need to be removed. Certain lower dash parts need to be removed. Stuff like the lower panels on the floor, drink holder, fuse box cover on the drivers side. On the passenger side, the strut is accessible by removing the glove box door and inner glove box. And Ford flat rate is 5.8 hours. Warranty flat rate is 3.6 hours. And the original Ford strut is actually cheaper retail price then the aftermarket strut. $109 retail and just over $90 with my discount. They agreed to a lower $90 shop rate for the 5.8 hours for you and will install aftermarket struts for no extra charge if that's what you prefer. They will do mine, when needed for $90 for the 3.8 hour flat rate. When mine wear out, I'll probably just try and do them myself in my driveway. Rear shocks are easy.

Plus they printed out that section of the service manual for me. I could email scan copies if you needed them.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Hang on to info and let's see where our travels take us this trip out. Every Transit owner should take note since, even with your discovery, Front Struts are a major expense. Another thoughtful design by the Transit engineering group