TRANSIT WOES

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No money saved, engine blew and caught fire on I-45 going thru Huntsville. Probably have to sell a kidney for this. Will check in with local Ford in AM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Please tell me your joking!

6ca065bd8cf354f7e7524970c354b536.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I'm also waiting for the 'just kidding' response. Ugh.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No money saved, engine blew and caught fire on I-45 going thru Huntsville.
Engine blew? Fire sounds like fuel. Could they have screwed up the install of the throttle body resulting in a fire? Electrical fire due water? Hope you get it all sorted out and the dealership takes responsibility if it was the throttle body. Good luck!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
200,000 miles on an electronic throttle body? As far as I'm concerned it served its purpose, don't complain about having to change it, no different than changing spark plugs, they wear out after so long.

Yup, that is now my understanding after talking to mechanic here in Houston. That I have 275,000 is considered above average. The things you learn
next is a new engine....guess we will find out what them engines are really made of...
feeling kind of bad making this statement....like I cursed him....:(

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
At Ford, given the LOUD BANG at 65mph, oil smoke, flames, I would say threw a rod, possibly due to water in engine causing extreme hydraulic pressure. No idea how water could get in engine:think3:. But will wait for official word from Ford??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At Ford, given the LOUD BANG at 65mph, oil smoke, flames, I would say threw a rod, possibly due to water in engine causing extreme hydraulic pressure. No idea how water could get in engine:think3:. But will wait for official word from Ford??
did you check oil after it dried out?...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't think the water would affect the throttle body, that was just a coincidence. But was wondering how these 2 hot running high rpm turbos survived being doused with cold water. If a turbo seal goes bad, it can suck all the oil from your crankcase before you even have time to pull the truck over to the shoulder.

And shortly before my GM 4.8 blew the engine, I chased a misfire for months. Tried spark plugs, coils, injectors but nothing stopped the misfire until it just went bang and stopped. Turned out that a piston broke and the upper pin pulled right out of the piston and the rod then jammed into the block. Sometimes an incurable misfire is just the final event before complete failure.

Interesting to find out the cost to have these engines swapped out. And I would think with your Duck adventures that you could easily blame the failure on water damage to either the engine or the turbos being damaged by the water and causing the resulting engine failure. Good luck WOM!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Intentional? Got off exit ramp from I-10 and had no choice but to go thru intersection full of water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app
WOM ... i just hope this works out where you can purchase a New Van/Engine or some kind of insurance/warrenty assits in replacement ... you can always PM me if needed ... best of luck

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.