The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Too many people likely have access to Trumps returns at the IRS. Just playing the odds, has to be a handful at the IRS that are Colburn fans and hate his guts. Leak should have happened already if there was a good smoking gun. Just my take. Everything else gets leaked.

I heard a news story on the radio a while back that talked about how the president's tax return is treated very carefully at the IRS. I don't recall the details but remember something about the returns being kept in a special safe. While recent presidents and presidential candidates release their returns for public view, the IRS is very careful with presidential tax returns.

That protection does not protect Trump from the subpoena power of investigating entities. Depending on how events unfold, a subpoena might bring Trump's tax returns into the light of day.

Reactions: Grizzly

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Now, now boys,,,we are still waiting on documents from Mr.President use to be dude....now what was his name...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That protection does not protect Trump from the subpoena power of investigating entities. Depending on how events unfold, a subpoena might bring Trump's tax returns into the light of day.
What is Trump hiding, and when did he hide it.

Reactions: skyraider

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Those protections maybe exist once they are president, but not likely prior. My guess would be if there was a smoking gun, it would have shown up during the election. Just my personal opinion based on how much stuff has been leaked already.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cop knocks on your door, says "I want to search your house."
You: "No"
Cop: "What are you hiding? If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind me searching your house."

Democrats to Trump: "If you have nothing to hide, release your tax returns."

Same thing. Exactly.

Reactions: RoadTime and davekc

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cop knocks on your door, says "I want to search your house."
You: "No"
Cop: "What are you hiding? If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind me searching your house."

Democrats to Trump: "If you have nothing to hide, release your tax returns."

Same thing. Exactly.

I guess just a few minor differences ...
I didn't run to be POTUS.
I wasn't elected to be POTUS.
I don't have the ability to use the launch codes for nuclear strikes.
Yada, yada, yada ...
I guess you're right ... practically identical :)

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess just a few minor differences ...
I didn't run to be POTUS.
I wasn't elected to be POTUS.
I don't have the ability to use the launch codes for nuclear strikes.
Yada, yada, yada ...
I guess you're right ... practically identical.
Yada, yada, yada ... = Deflection, deflection, deflection

There is no requirement of releasing tax returns as a prerequisite for running for the office of President. People had every right, and every opportunity, to NOT vote for Trump due to him not releasing his tax returns. Also, there is no requirement to release tax returns after being elected to that office. And, there's certainly no requirement to release tax returns in exchange for being given the ability to use launch codes for nuclear strikes.

What's going on here is liberals and never-Trumpers want his tax returns released so they can find something with which they can use to damage him. And they justify it in either one or to ways, or sometimes both. One is, they want it really really badly, <stomp stomp> therefore they should have it, WAAAAHHHH! or, they use the even more annoying, and more dangerous, argument of, "If you have nothing to fear, then you have nothing to hide."

Personally, I think Trump should have released his tax returns last summer, but I didn't fault him for not doing so, as he has every right not to release them. But at this point, I hope he doesn't release them, simply because it makes those on the Left look like the immature little children throwing a temper tantrump that they are.

Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

The Constitution doesn't explicitly mention a right to privacy, because it would be utterly redundant, as the entire document screams the right to be left alone, to be free of undue and unjustifiable intrusion and infringement.

The right to privacy is the right to self. You "own" you. You decide when you want to share you and when you don't. It is really that simple.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is a opinion piece that could be written by any democrat.
The same kind of an "I Have a Dream" piece was written by a republican about Obama. You also get the same kind of "I Have a Dream" type pieces written about how a president can, and should, serve a third term.

He, hey! It could happen!

Reactions: davekc

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always understood the requirements & the right to self privacy.
Too many possible conflicts of interest in Trump's case.
It's never going to go away. If he is clean he should release them at some point.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Susan Rice is refusing an invitation to testify in front of Congress.

I wonder what she's hiding.

Anybody remember how in 2005 the Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security, John Bolton, got skewered, grilled and baked over his unambiguously justifiable10 requests across 4 years to have to names unmasked of American citizens caught up in National Security Agency monitoring, and how the Democrats went on and on ad nauseum about how an appointed policy maker has no reasonable reason for asking for the unmasking (despite the fact that the conversations in question were directly related to arms control and international security), and how such requests were highly unusual, not at all routine, and were deeply troubling as a matter of democracy and privacy? And remember how not a single one of those 10 names, even to this day, ever got leaked by a Republican administration?

Remember how in 2017 when appointed policy maker Susan Rice, the National Security Adviser, unmasked dozens of names of people associated with the Trump campaign and transition team, and how she and other Democrats justified it as perfectly normal, quite usual, and routinely routine, not at all troubling in the least? And remember how no fewer than nine Obama administration officials have been confirmed as either leaking or confirming the identity and conversations Michael Flynn?

Ahhh, what a tangled double standard we weave.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Too many possible conflicts of interest in Trump's case.
That still doesn't justify a fishing expedition of requiring him to release his tax returns in the hopes that we can find something in there that can be used to mold, bend, twist and pound into some kind of evidentiary basis to prove bribery or corruption. The President is exempt from federal conflict of interest laws, anyway. Everyone knows that Trump has a lot of conflicts of interests, and those who voted for him knew it when they did so.

There were all kinds of potential possible conflicts of interest, and reason to believe actual corruption, between the Democratic National Committee, the Clinton Campaign, and The Press, but none of that justifies the hacking of the DNC and Podesta emails (even though the "hacking" occurred as a result of the total technotardisnism and stupidity of the DNC officials and Podesta), despite the fact that the hacked emails confirmed the suspicions.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally, I could care less about Trumps tax returns. I could not image any possible thing, that had already been fine combed by the IRS, that would make me say OMG I never should of voted for him

Maybe people just want a free class on how to maximize their own returns

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trump yesterday to Australia's PM: "You have better health care than we do."
Yep! They do. Australia has universal health care.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Personally, I could care less about Trumps tax returns. I could not image any possible thing, that had already been fine combed by the IRS, that would make me say OMG I never should of voted for him
emoji849.png

Maybe people just want a free class on how to maximize their own returns
emoji57.png
That's it exactly. People (liberals ,anti-Trumpers) say they want to get all up in his tax returns so they can find potential conflicts of interest, you know, for the good of the country, and democracy, and, of course, for the children, but what they really want is to get all up in his business so they can find out that he used legal loopholes to legally avoid paying taxes. "Shaaaaame on you, Trump." They believe rich people need to be turned into poor people so the poor won't be poor anymore.

Trump yesterday to Australia's PM: "You have better health care than we do."
Yep! They do. Australia has universal health care.
Once you get the government broadly involved in health care, which Obamacare did, the only destination that road can take you is universal health care. The republicans can try and detour it, but the detour still brings you back to the same road. It could happen as quickly as the end of Trump's second term (or within the next 8 years regardless of who is president), where the health care industry has strict price controls and we have government-controlled single-payer, universal health care.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Charles Krauthamer said about as much last night. Single payer in about 7 years.
Krauthammer: ‘We will be in a single-payer system’ within 7 years
Interesting, and he said that for the same reasons that I believe that's where we're headed with it.

I had it in there but deleted it out of my post above (and I've posted it here in the past), that the only other alternative would be to repeal Obamacare, and then stop right there and don't do anything else. That would actually bring things back to a true free market.

I removed it because I also had in there that if that happened, poor people wouldn't be able to afford health care or health insurance, just like it was before Obamacare. And there are lots of things poor people can't afford. It's airways been that way and it always will be that way. But if we take poor people not being able to have health insurance off the table, then the only thing left is universal health care.

This nonsense about doing the free market half way, make it so that people can buy insurance across state lines which will magically make it affordable, won't work. Insurance companies aren't stupid.

Reactions: Grizzly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
well half way to Trumpcare....now for the Senate....and we will have probably have yet another mess to deal with....
1/2 private, 1/2 government just won't work down here....its either private and the government subsidizes the working poor or complete Universal care....gee whiz......

Reactions: Grizzly and Turtle