The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree, it's definitely going to take time. It's possible (very likely) that he's a trained mechanic as well as a befuddled golfer. He'll have his fair share of mistakes under the hood and off the tee.

I think most every one thought that if Trump won it would be on the job training. The nuances of negotiating a business deal with another decision-maker CEO are different than in negotiating a deal with another world leader who has their own political and financial backlash that is out of their control. Still, many of the elements are translatable. What he's doing on the border wall thing with Mexico is practically page-for-page out of his book The Art of the Deal.

Lawrence O'Donnell over at MSNBC did a lengthy thought piece on how Trump's very first negotiation (with Mexico and the wall) was a complete failure. He waxed poetic about what good negotiators do. He'd be exactly right, if the negotiations were complete. But they've just started. Clearly, O'Donnell is kind of an idiot on both what a negotiation entails, and what good negotiators do within the negotiations. Trump Tweeting that if the President of Mexico wasn't going to pay for the wall that he might as well cancel the meeting was a genius negotiating tactic. President Nieto's approval rating in Mexico is in the single digits. Nieto stands up to Trump and cancels the meeting, and get a huge boost back home, saving a little face and increasing some pride back home. But that cancellation merely added to Trump's already formidable leverage. Trump will tell Nieto that he did him a favor in letting Nieto cancel the meeting, and he'll get Nieto to believe it (if he hasn't already). Trump will word towards having the details will be worked out so that both Trump and Nieto come off looking good.

One of the reasons Trump has moved so fast with the wall is because of the leverage he has over Mexico. So, he's milking the US’s leverage over Mexico, aiming for the areas where it most hurts. In value, Mexican exports amounted to 37% of the country’s GDP in 2015, the vast majority of it to the US. They would take a big hit if Trump walked away from NAFTA, or implemented border taxes. Remittances from immigrants abroad, which he has threatened to tax or simply confiscate to pay for the wall, far surpass the revenues from Mexico’s oil industry.

Trump sees publicity as a key tool to drive a deal. From the book: "One thing I’ve learned about the press is that they’re always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better… if you are a little different, a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you."

The border wall and his texts about them hit all of those marks: A little different, check. Outrageous, check. Bold, controversial, check and check.

Reactions: davekc and RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure the country is in a better position than eight years ago regardless of how some people would like to spin it.
Our choice of presidential candidates from the two major parties in 2016 contradicts your statement, regardless of how some people would like to spin it.:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Immediately after Trump took the oath of office, the redecorating of the White House and the Oval Office began. One of the first things was to hang a portrait of Andrew Jackson in the Oval office, picked from the White House Art Collection. He also replaced the brown/gray suede couches for sofas in a way fancier brocade fabric. The sofas came from a storage facility at the White House. They had been in the Oval Office for a time during the George W Bush years.

The most visible replacement was, of course, The Drapes. With the gold drapes, the press got giddy. CNN's Don Lemon giggled and described it as "all gold everything," noting that Trump "didn't waste any time getting gold drapes into the Oval Office." Then shook his head in haughty derision.

Moron.

Where did those drapes come from? They were the gold drapes that were hand picked by Hillary Clinton and hung for 8 years in the Bill Clinton Oval Office, and hung in there for the first year of George W. Bush's presidency, before Bush replaced them with a different set of gold drapes.

Trump also got rid of a rug with quotes from four former presidents and Martin Luther King, Jr. The rug there now has "lots and lot of gold on it" (except it's mostly beige, with gold details on the presidential seal). It's the one that was designed by Laura Bush and was there when George W. Bush was President.

The other big change was to the President's personal kitchen. While Obama and Bush had it stocked with healthy snacks, Trump went in a different direction. It's the same snacks that his private plane was stocked with, as well as Air Force One is now stocked.

trump-chips-3.jpg

Reactions: RoadTime and Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Walls don't work, they say.

Well, they certainly have an effect.

In 2006 in the Yuma (AZ) Sector of the border (126 miles), they had 118,000 apprehensions (in places other than border crossing checkpoints), or about 323 a day. They started building the wall down there in 2007, and apprehensions dropped to 37,000, about 100 a day. Since 2008 they have averaged 6,200 apprehensions per year, about 17 a day.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I still say we should move some military training bases along our southern boarder
I think that would give them something to think about
And face it most of our last few wars have been more police actions instead of war

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we spent a generation tearing down a wall...Walls have a way of turning away from the purpose they claimed to relieve.....that movie when the Ice age the glaciers were moving down and Americans were clamouring to cross the border to survive subarctic temperatures...and Mexico refused entry.....
1 gun tower every 1 mile with a trained sniper..lethal force would be a lot cheaper...

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still say we should move some military training bases along our southern boarder
I think that would give them something to think about
And face it most of our last few wars have been more police actions instead of war

ironically these illegals crossers are Illegal in Mexico as well...they are not Mexicans per say....El Salavador, Guatamala, Panama

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
True but isn't that Mexico's problem for alowING them in if they didn't have a place to go Mexico wouldn't let then in

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
True but isn't that Mexico's problem for alowING them in if they didn't have a place to go Mexico wouldn't let then in
why spend money on something that is just passing thru so to speak?

I am surprised the Mexican President hasn't mentioned about deporting the 1,000's of Americans working in Mexico....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
why spend money on something that is just passing thru so to speak?

I am surprised the Mexican President hasn't mentioned about deporting the 1,000's of Americans working in Mexico....

If we do away with nafta most of the Americans working in Mexico will out of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So would Hillary been any better at least he's got some ideas to put this country back on track

This country is back on track, but i wonder if Trump will keep it on track.

We are not really on track from the last eight years. It is nothing more than a illusion. By any measure that matters, we as a country are worse off with the exception of some industries and the stock market. How did that happen? We manufactured and printed a outcome. That is how we are now 20 trillion in debt and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Follow the money instead of that silliness you see on TV.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So would Hillary been any better at least he's got some ideas to put this country back on track

This country is back on track, but i wonder if Trump will keep it on track.

We are not really on track from the last eight years. It is nothing more than a illusion. By any measure that matters, we as a country are worse off with the exception of some industries and the stock market. How did that happen? We manufactured and printed a outcome. That is how we are now 20 trillion in debt and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Follow the money instead of that silliness you see on TV.

Alibaba founder Jack Ma has a brutal theory of how America went wrong over the past 30 years

Reactions: davekc

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator