non cdl truck?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i thought trucks over 10k needed to log and thus were cdl trucks. i also know that you can get a truck from penske that is non cdl. in the classifieds here i find two trucks that are non-cdl. one is a box and the other has a sleeper and a box. when does a box truck become a cdl required vehicle?

thanks

Jack Berry

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Jack: Here's the regs:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of the expedite carriers put HAZMAT on trucks that are less than 10,001 GVWR; therefore, the driver must have a minimum class C CDL with an H or HAZMAT endorsement. When carrying HAZMAT the driver must log and comply with HOS. This applies also if truck is over 10,000#.

Another non-CDL vehicle is one used for personal use and not for the transport of people or freight for hire. A Penske rental to move your household stuff would be non commercial, but if you leased a rental truck to a commercial carrier, the truck and the driver would be subject to the federal comm'l vehicle regs.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So as per the regs, the hot shot idiot who passed me this morning flying down the freeway at 80 plus with 5 cars on his trailer needs a class A?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
thanks terry.

i brought this up at break with one of the other load planners. he said if it was a truck to do commercial frt hauling then a cdl would be required. these ads make it sound like no cdl is needed to move freight.

Jack Berry

fastrod

Expert Expediter
If the truck is 26,000 lbs. or under you do not need a cdl to haul freight. I ran a 25,500 lbs straight truck with air brakes for a company about 4 years ago. No cdl needed, just a medical certificate and a log book.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Fastrod:

As indicated above, No CDL needed UNLESS the truck is hauling placarded HAZMAT. Any driver of a truck under 26,000 hauling placarded HAZMAT must have a CDL with HAZMAT endorsement.

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
YOU DO NOT NEED A LOG BOOK IF YOU DRIVE WITHIN A 150 AIR MILES OF WHERE YOU STARTED,AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A AIR BREAK ENDOR FOR ANY TRK UNDER 26,000.ACCORDING TO THE GOOD D.O.T. FOLKS HERE IN MARYLAND.

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
>YOU DO NOT NEED A LOG BOOK IF YOU DRIVE WITHIN A 150 AIR
>MILES OF WHERE YOU STARTED,

That may be true in certain states - but the DOT regulation is 100 air miles (115 "normal" miles) and not more than 12 hours from starting work at your "terminal" to going off duty at that same terminal. I drive mostly in New England and rarely log.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>So as per the regs, the hot shot idiot who passed me this
>morning flying down the freeway at 80 plus with 5 cars on
>his trailer needs a class A?
I'd say a 5 car load definately requires a Class A . Some 3 car haulers try to run under 26,000 but they're pushing it .

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Up here in Ontario those car haulers with 3 car trailers are supposed to have a class A as the towed vehicle and the dually pickup is enough weight.

Also of minor note you know those 5th wheel travel trailers? Well the guys with dually pickups and those real big 5th wheel trailers are also supposed to have class A. I met a DOT officer who was giving the holiday crowd notices to upgrade their licence or receive a ticket for not being properly lic'd (bet that was a shock to most).

Rob Fis

tbc27143

Seasoned Expediter
If they are towing their own personal fifth wheel trailer and not for commercial transport then a CDL is not required no matter how heavy it is. CDL is COMMERCIAL drivers license.

If a private truck and trailer is stopping at the scales then they are nuts anyway. They need to read the signs.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your hauling HazMat in a rental truck, do you need to have the DOT numbers on the side?

If you're hauling hazmat in a Chevy Spark, it's a commercial motor vehicle. Lettering, placards, CDL with endorsements, the whole kit and caboodle.

Reactions: TeamPaul

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If you're hauling hazmat in a Chevy Spark, it's a commercial motor vehicle. Lettering, placards, CDL with endorsements, the whole kit and caboodle.

I thought it was if the load is over 1000 lbs if under you can haul it non placards and without the endorsement? Did that change recently?
Or is that classification specific

Reactions: ajakapari

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If your hauling HazMat in a rental truck, do you need to have the DOT numbers on the side?
If by "HazMat" you mean hazardous material which requires placards, yes, you need the DOT numbers displayed on the side of the vehicle. If the load requires placards, then as xmudman noted, you need the entire caboodle kit.
I thought it was if the load is over 1000 lbs if under you can haul it non placards and without the endorsement? Did that change recently?
Or is that classification specific
You may have touched on it with the "classification specific" question. Hazardous material is broken down into two different groups, more specifically, two different Placard Table categories, known oddly enough as Table 1 and Table 2.

Anything on any amount on Table 1 must be placarded, always.

Anything on Table 2 that weighs (in aggregate) more than 1000 pounds must be placarded, anything 1000 pounds or less does not require placards. The exception is Class 9 material, which does not require placards for domestic transport (and thus, regardless of the amount, does not require a HAZMAT endorsement).

"In aggregate" means the total weight of all hazardous materials including their packaging (including their pallets, etc.) regardless of the weight of an individual material. For example, if you have a 800 pound pallet of truck batteries and a 500 pound drum of motor oil, that's 1300 pounds in aggregate of hazardous material, and thus must be placarded.

Reactions: TeamPaul

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may be right, however, if you haul hazmat in a Chevy Spark, it's probably radioactive :eek: