Is becoming a sprinter van O/O still a viable option?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
is it worth the 15-20 thou for a van? how many miles can you average?
I guess you haven't done any research here yet. As is stated in a few other threads asking the same type questions 1500 paid miles per week for most seem to be the max, while some are getting more and some are getting less. It all depends which carrier you are with and mostly being in the right place at the right time dictates whether you get a load or not. Also getting into a business like this is going to be a hard realty check. I hope you have at least 3-6 months living expenses plus a healthy maintenance fund for your van. If you do you probably can survive this storm, otherwise it will rough sailing.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even if it's a very used one for $5000, or one that you already own and is paid for, or one that you've stolen, it's a viable option only if you play fast and loose with the word viable. Average weekly miles are half what they used to be, and average rate per mile is likewise half again. 1500 miles is now about 800, and what used to be a dollar per is now 60 cents, give or take.

If it was just half the miles or half the rate it would still be viable for some people. But combine the two? You'd have a better chance of winning at playing poker with Penn and Teller.

"These are too many vans" is not just the whine of a whiner, it's a cold mathematical fact of which no one entering this business will be the exception to and can beat the odds.

Reactions: jcochristoph

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah that's all kinda how I figured it would be with the vans....Now how about with the sleeper box trucks ran as team, do they have work or is it the same deal as the vans?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah that's all kinda how I figured it would be with the vans....Now how about with the sleeper box trucks ran as team, do they have work or is it the same deal as the vans?
They seem to be doing alright but then again I've heard that some are running at a cheaper rate also.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
They seem to be doing alright but then again I've heard that some are running at a cheaper rate also.
that's good, too bad for the vans it would be really nice to not have to worry about the DOT. That's something I could buy right now unlike a class B. But I don't wanna do that and get like 500 miles a week at super low paying loads.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
that's good, too bad for the vans it would be really nice to not have to worry about the DOT. That's something I could buy right now unlike a class B. But I don't wanna do that and get like 500 miles a week at super low paying loads.
That's the thing! Everyone thinks that I can get a van and drive solo or team and make a killing. Too many people and it's just not going to happen.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Here is something for you. Not to long ago I was in the Midwest, delivered on a Fri at 11:30am. Nothing came that day. I should have moved that weekend but didn't want to DH and was told by dispatch that I wasn't in to bad of a area.

I stayed til Mon afternoon. I decided to move cause I didn't wont to sit all week hoping for something and it never would come. I DH out and got a load after that and got back in that same area again. I've DH empty as much as the loaded miles that week.

I didn't make hardly anything, but the van made its money. I use the .50cent rule as the cost of my van. Alittle high but it's a safe number.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
And sadly that is the biggest problem in the van segment. Anybody can get one
I hear ya. who would wanna touch any commercial vehicle and go along with all the BS that can come with when you can just do it in a van. Makes sense that the easiest work that is much less in demand (as far as driving goes) is going to not be as reliable as the latter.

That's the thing! Everyone thinks that I can get a van and drive solo or team and make a killing. Too many people and it's just not going to happen.
Yeah, I for sure wouldn't expect to make a killing, but if I could make enough to live comfortably.....say like $25-30,000 profit....I think it would be a lot of fun.

Ive been driving class A OTR for almost 6 months and I enjoy the lifestyle and all that but the thing that I really dislike is the sheer size. 70ft long trying to maneuver in places it wasn't ment to, tight truck stops, I would enjoy my work sooo much more in a van or a class B.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I hear ya. who would wanna touch any commercial vehicle and go along with all the BS that can come with when you can just do it in a van. Makes sense that the easiest work that is much less in demand (as far as driving goes) is going to not be as reliable as the latter.

Yeah, I for sure wouldn't expect to make a killing, but if I could make enough to live comfortably.....say like $25-30,000 profit....I think it would be a lot of fun.

Ive been driving class A OTR for almost 6 months and I enjoy the lifestyle and all that but the thing that I really dislike is the sheer size. 70ft long trying to maneuver in places it wasn't ment to, tight truck stops, I would enjoy my work sooo much more in a van or a class B.
Alot of TT drivers move down to the str8 truck. That's what I would focus on. Not a van.

Reactions: RoadTime

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Alot of TT drivers move down to the str8 truck. That's what I would focus on. Not a van.

I'm talking to a Fleetowner who might let me come on as a Solo Driver in a Class B truck. Possibly running with FedEx. They are asking me if I would consider teaming and I would do so if I already knew another driver, but I'm not sure I want to team with a random assigned driver.

Can a Solo Driver do okay in a Straight Truck doing the 60/40 split with a Fleet Owner? I am one of those T/T drivers that would like to try something different. I have done the Van thing with Tri-State and would consider that if I could make a living with it.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I'm talking to a Fleetowner who might let me come on as a Solo Driver in a Class B truck. Possibly running with FedEx. They are asking me if I would consider teaming and I would do so if I already knew another driver, but I'm not sure I want to team with a random assigned driver.

Can a Solo Driver do okay in a Straight Truck doing the 60/40 split with a Fleet Owner? I am one of those T/T drivers that would like to try something different. I have done the Van thing with Tri-State and would consider that if I could make a living with it.

I don't blame you for not wonting to team with a stranger. You can make money solo in a str8 but alot of variables in my opinion. The right company is the biggest thing. Don't know about FedEx but if you stay in there lanes you should do ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Don't know what I've done. Just click on the post.