You WILL vote in the next election

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's not even close to what he actually said. Apparently, reading comprehension is not a strength for you - or do you just deliberately misrepresent what people say when you don't agree with them?
BTW: the clickbait headline outrage tactic backfires when the audience catches on - just saying. Well, except at certain websites, where most of the audience only reads the headlines. And looks at the photos, of course, because there's lots of skin on display.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
He said it's an idea that has merit, and too many Americans won't go for it. I agree. How does that equate to "You WILL vote in the next election"?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
He said it's an idea that has merit, and too many Americans won't go for it. I agree. How does that equate to "You WILL vote in the next election"?
It doesn't.

Of course, when one doesn't have any real ammo (or is simply too ignorant or stupid to recognize real ammo) it apparently becomes a necessity to resort to intellectual dishonesty ... and completely mischaracterize someone's position or what they said in order to demonize them ... and then rely on the stupidity or ignorance of others to buy into it ...

Definition - charlatan:

a person who falsely pretends to know or be something in order to deceive people.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
If Obama has his way it will be mandatory that every citizen vote

No he wouldn't, that's just ignorant if anyone thinks that is what the President would want, from what he actually said.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No he wouldn't, that's just ignorant if anyone thinks that is what the President would want, from what he actually said.
He did mentioned Australia, which has mandatory voting. He apparently had this view at least since 2001. See video I linked. So you're saying he wouldn't prefer it? He seems to like the idea.
And if there was mandatory voting, would the law not go like this? You will vote in the next election...or pay a fine?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some people would want philosophical and religious exemptions, though. They always do.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's possible some are too stupid or infatuated to read between the lines. Fine. Interpret however you want. You are entitled to your opinion. Frankly, it would be disappointing and disturbing if several were to agree.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's possible some are too stupid or infatuated to read between the lines. Fine. Interpret however you want. You are entitled to your opinion. Frankly, it would be disappointing and disturbing if several were to agree.

He said he thinks it's an idea with merit [I agree] but it would not be permitted in the US, and he's right about that, the Repubs would be reading Dr Seuss from here to eternity to stop it from a vote.
If you "read between the lines" and "interpret" that to mean we WILL be required to vote in the next election, the stupid and/or infatuated people aren't those of us who disagree with you.

TDave

Expert Expediter
If you want more participation in the voting process please get better people to run for office......

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I read that as his ultimate goal, one of many. I read it as what he would mandate in any way possible if at all possible. It would happen starting in the next election if it could but of course it can't. Doesn't mean he wouldn't want it to or that there isn't stupidity and infatuation just where observed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If mandatory voting was his ultimate goal, he would have mentioned it before now and would have had it pushed through Congress just like Obamacare. People have been talking about mandatory voting in this country for more than two centuries, but it's never gained any momentum. It's part of the same conversation where only those who own real property ate allowed to vote, which isn't gained any momentum, either.

"If Obama had his way... " How can you even type that with a straight face?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I certainly will.....even if does no more good than to cancel Missie's vote.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Would you pay in rubber? I will vote at your direction for a set of four 245/75R19s, any brand.

Yup but I would have to go in the booth with you to make sure your voting my direction.
245/75/19 ? not a very popular tire.