Is there a Espar alternative?

guido4475

Not a Member
Just wondering, why hasn't Webasto been as strong in the market as Espar is? Does anyone own a Webasto? Care to share the experience? Quality? Dependability and cost? Service? Are there any other brands as well out there? Thinking of a replacement soon.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been told by a couple of guys that their webastos only seem to work properly at full heat in extreme temps FWIW.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jon E Handwarmers are an excellent alternative to an Espar, provided you have enough.
jonehandwarmer_zps4bc67ced.jpg

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We have a webasto. Works just the same as our espar did.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have a webasto works great I make shure I fire it up one a month in the warmer weather for 30 minutes to burn the crap off the glow plug so it doesn't corrode . Im in Toronto right now 35 degrees snug as a bug :)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I have a complete Espar in like new condition sitting in my garage. Gasoline fired. I think it maybe 2 years old but has been into Espar in michigan and gone thru and tuned up, (what ever that means)
My Question would be is it a good idea to use this in my Straight or should I work towards a Diesel fired heater?
I have been told any gasoline tank I mount on this truck would have to be DOT appoved and mounted up and inbetween the frame rails. Any truth to this?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Slo, I would check with espar and see if it can be converted to diesel fuel after all you already have it. If not sell it to a banner and buy diesel.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Slo, I would check with espar and see if it can be converted to diesel fuel after all you already have it. If not sell it to a banner and buy diesel.

I have wondered if they have any kind of trade in value but never thought of conversion over to diesel.. Worth a phone call to find out once I get home and dig up the model number.. Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any idea how easy it is to convert a carbureted gasoline engine into a high-compression diesel engine? It'll be easier, and cheaper, to replace it, especially if you can sell the gas model to a banner. :D

You have been told correctly about DOT approved gas tanks.

If you already had an aux gas tank on there then using the gas Espar would be the way to go since you already have it. But since gas has fewer BTUs than diesel, the diesel model uses less fuel, I'm not sure I'd want to go to that effort to install a gas tank to use it. I'd sell it and get a diesel model and just connect it to the existing tank. Easy peasy.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I would think they are very similar in design just have a different way of firing the fuel diesel using some sort of glow plug an gas using a sparking device I doubt there is any compression involved , think oil burner type design but selling it to a banner and getting a diesel one probably is the best road to travel.

guido4475

Not a Member
Cerni motors (International) in Youngstown, Ohio, used to have the D-2 for sale for like $995.00 cash and carry for the whole unit. Those ads usually can be found in Movin' On newspaper.

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
Diesel engines ignite due to pressure. As the pressure increases inside the cylinder the air/fuel mixture increases in temperature until it explodes. The glow plugs are used to start the process when the engine is cold. Once it warms up the glow plugs aren't really needed. Therefore, diesel engines operate at much higher internal pressures that gasoline engines.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Red, you are partially correct about diesel engines, but in an espar heater the fuel doesnt ignite because of compression.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Think of an oil fired furnace there is no compression involved just fuel sprayed at low pressure into an ignition source espar used a modified technology of this techniques

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
To everyone that sent the private messages inquiring about the heater..I replied back but also kept getting the: Something went wrong message from EO. So I don't know who got the response..
Anyways Ill keep ya all in mind.
I haven't been home yet so I don't know what route I will be going.
With winter setting in don't wait on me..LOL As I said in messages its still a option to me to mount it in my van which has been turned into a hunting vehicle or even possibly into one of the boats..

If I sell I will start a Bidding war.:cool:

guido4475

Not a Member
To everyone that sent the private messages inquiring about the heater..I replied back but also kept getting the: Something went wrong message from EO. So I don't know who got the response..
Anyways Ill keep ya all in mind.
I haven't been home yet so I don't know what route I will be going.
With winter setting in don't wait on me..LOL As I said in messages its still a option to me to mount it in my van which has been turned into a hunting vehicle or even possibly into one of the boats..

If I sell I will start a Bidding war.:cool:

Put it on ebay.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't mind the price of the espar as much as I mind the price of the installation. Anyone know anyone who can put one in for a couple hundred as opposed to $500 (half the cost of the heater) ?!