Yeah.....I Expressed MY Opinion..........

cubansammich

Not a Member
In BOLD....YOU are now in violation Just saying....hmmmmmmm??
The bold part is what your violation stemmed from. I did not talk about your or another mods decision just pointed out that you were blatantly breaking the code of conduct by posting moderator actions in the open forum rather than via pm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The bold part is what your violation stemmed from. I did not talk about your or another mods decision just pointed out that you were blatantly breaking the code of conduct by posting moderator actions in the open forum rather than via pm.

and again....discussions regarding moderator or administrator actions are not permitted on the forum.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
there ya go...LOL....games that are... your move... my move and can be picked up a few days later....considering what we do....

could even try and get some carriers to sponsor some games and have high score prizes at end of month.....

I bet something basic like chess or Battleship would be easy to setup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What ever happen to those middle of the road mods on here rather than having just the far left or right ?

Do you remember all the bannings and locked threads from the old days in here? The Mod Squad has never been this middle-of-the-road as it is now..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have no idea what you are talking about. OVM isn't talking about moderator actions. RLENT was not warned in any way, shape or form. No official action was taken against him, nor was any action against him hinted at or threatened. He was simply offered a different perspective from which to view his postings, a perspective which he could consider, or not, it was up to him. He was not offered that perspective from someone wearing their mod hat, but as a friend.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have no idea what you are talking about. OVM isn't talking about moderator actions. RLENT was not warned in any way, shape or form. No official action was taken against him, nor was any action against him hinted at or threatened. He was simply offered a different perspective from which to view his postings, a perspective which he could consider, or not, it was up to him. He was not offered that perspective from someone wearing their mod hat, but as a friend.

Thank you for a very concise exact description

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I see it as very much a political forum seeing the huge majority of posts are political in nature. The fact it is in second place only confirms the fact this site is trending less about expediting at least in the forums which is kind of sad.

Sure they can go to advertisers and say we have x number of members who as a whole post x times a month, sounds good on its face. But truth be known of those x members very few visit the site and way fewer actually participate in the forums.
It's not even about the number of members who post x times a month or about how many participate. It's about how many people, members and non-members alike, view and read the forums. It's about page clicks and time spent on each page. The fact is, non-members spend most of their time in the General forums section and in the Recruiter forum, not in the Soapbox. Non-members actually spend very little time in the Soapbox. Currently there are 183 members and 1314 non-members online, with a very small percentage of those non-members viewing Soapbox threads. We can also easily see the names of members who have read posts in a given thread, and you'd be surprised at just how few read them. For example, despite the more-than 600 views this thread had garnered, only 27 members, and about the same number of non-members, have actually viewed it. By the same token, the "Time to Fill Up" thread in the General Forum has 600 views with 56 members and hundreds of non-members having read it.

The EO Forums is an online community within the small niche community of expediters. While there certainly are other Soapbox-type forums around the net for political, religious and current events discussions, very few of them allow the participants to discuss things with people who all have the commonality of expediting. The EO Soapbox allows expediters to comfortably voice their opinions to fellow expediters, and to receive feedback from the same frame of reference (which is why I believe that you need to be an actual expediter in order to participate in the EO Soapbox, since generally those who cause the most trouble in the Soapbox aren't even expediters).

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"(which is why I believe that you need to be an actual expediter in order to participate in the EO Soapbox, since generally those who cause the most trouble in the Soapbox aren't even expediters)."

Too bad this is not the case.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow, It seems to me, everybody blew their cork all at the same time. Now that everybody has had their say, can we get back to . . . :rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I see it as very much a political forum seeing the huge majority of posts are political in nature. The fact it is in second place only confirms the fact this site is trending less about expediting at least in the forums which is kind of sad.

Sure they can go to advertisers and say we have x number of members who as a whole post x times a month, sounds good on its face. But truth be known of those x members very few visit the site and way fewer actually participate in the forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Maybe it's second to the General forum because it's interesting, and at times, educational. It's not a forum for advocating death, or namecalling, or "putting people down", and when those things happen, we speak up.
If people don't enjoy participating in the discussions, or can't do it according to the rules, that's no reason to remove the forum, is it? There are several fora here that you'll never see me commenting in, but neither would I suggest they be eliminated.
The bottom line is that interesting is what brings people back, for the most part. EO gets a lot of slack because it is as much community as website, but even that won't save it if it becomes uninteresting, IMO.
When you advocate for removing the Soapbox, be careful what you ask for...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I remember what it was like BEFORE we added The Soapbox... some folks at the time, including a couple moderators, questioned that we needed it... but we had gotten to a point, where it was like this throughout the whole forum.. not just one little "room". Yes, there are a lot of toes stepped on here, but I still think it's needed, if for nothing more than a place to segregate those comments.

Perhaps I need to add a disclaimer to the intro... do not enter if you have thin skin... sure my toes have been stepped on here, heck even stomped on... but I know that's what this room is for.

Do some people go over the top? Sure.. on both sides of the political arena.... and if I shut one of them down I have to shut the other one too..

It's not perfect, and it never will be.... but like I said above, hopefully it keeps it mostly out of the rest of the forums.

That being said, it would be nice if we were a little nicer to each other :) "kumbaya!"

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the reader numbers is because we all like a good train wreck.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Xiggi, if you know that we all like a good train wreck, why do you want to get rid of the Soapbox?!
It's the only forum that offers a challenge to our gray matter, which is, I suspect, why some people would rather quit the whole site than risk it.
There I go, stepping on toes again, lol. [But y'all wear steel toed boots, right?]:p

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because it doesn't belong on an expedite forum, IMHO of course.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It's the only forum that offers a challenge to our gray matter, which is, I suspect, why some people would rather quit the whole site than risk it.
I think you might be onto something there ...

Things that challenge gray matter - or political ideology, fixed and unchanging viewpoints, sacred cows, etc. - can be very, very threatening for some.

And some just don't wanna expend the time or effort thinking thoughts ... because, I mean, after all ... thinking is such an extremely strenuous activity ... ;)

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe it's second to the General forum because it's interesting, and at times, educational. It's not a forum for advocating death, or namecalling, or "putting people down", and when those things happen, we speak up.
If people don't enjoy participating in the discussions, or can't do it according to the rules, that's no reason to remove the forum, is it? There are several fora here that you'll never see me commenting in, but neither would I suggest they be eliminated.
The bottom line is that interesting is what brings people back, for the most part. EO gets a lot of slack because it is as much community as website, but even that won't save it if it becomes uninteresting, IMO.
When you advocate for removing the Soapbox, be careful what you ask for...
It's only logical that the Soapbox exists because the vast majority of expediters are independent small business owners who are effected by govt regulations, political and economic decisions, and elections on the national level; so it's not surprising the majority of participants are conservative. Most all of us are familiar with and likely have contracted for the same carriers and have been subjected to their policies - and maybe even their internal politics. However, everyone should agree that...

"It's not a forum for advocating death, or namecalling, or "putting people down..."