Load Acceptance Rates Included in Ranking

Deville

Not a Member
You remove your truck from FEDEX and put it with Expedite Services to run for FEDEX as you have done before. Expedite services has better discounts on fuel and tires etc. FEDEX pay Expedite .03 per mile for every mile you run to cover addmin. expenses. We have two friends that have placed their trucks and themselves with this program. We are considering it but it is a hard pill to swallow to leave FEDEX in order to go back to FEDEX under a different company. But the database gives a huhge advantage over other O/Os and fleet owners and the only way to have access to it is through Expedite services.

So in addition to running they're own trucks with FEDX, ES leases owner ops to run for them that they than lease back to FEDEX? So Basically FEDEX gives ES preferential treatment over a single owner op.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
... FEDEX pay Expedite .03 per mile for every mile you run to cover addmin. expenses. ..... But the database gives a huhge advantage over other O/Os and fleet owners and the only way to have access to it is through Expedite services.

Where does that $.03 per mile come from? I have a few ideas... like off the backs of the rest of the fedex fleet.

So fedex pays a 3 cent premium to E.S. & gives E.S. access to data that no one else can get so that E.S. trucks can make better business decisions/plans?

E.S. also charges a monthly fee to every o/o under them for admin fees.... seems like a good deal.... for them

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Where does that $.03 per mile come from? I have a few ideas... like off the backs of the rest of the fedex fleet.

So fedex pays a 3 cent premium to E.S. & gives E.S. access to data that no one else can get so that E.S. trucks can make better business decisions/plans?

E.S. also charges a monthly fee to every o/o under them for admin fees.... seems like a good deal.... for them
I am surprised that it seems so few had knowledge of this. We have been comparing numbers for almost a year now (as anyone should before jumping in) and the program gives a unique advantage for those who sign up. Your CC or CR could/should give you the details, or call ES direct. That is what we have done and we are still in the research mode...can't say I like it but have to consider it.

Deville

Not a Member
We have all heard the rumors regading ES over the years. I have spoken to a couple of ES guys that ran for FedEX in older trucks that said they run them hard & they are making money. I did not realize that they were running as Owner Ops for ES.

i'm curious to know more details as well. ES & another company in California that i'm aware of has a large fleet with FEDEX & Panther as well & they seem to be cornering the market. Only thing you can do as a Single O/O is try to hang out, expand into a fleet, or join one of the larger companies as an O/O to run for FEDEX again, & that seems very redundant to me.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We did run for ES for two months while our truck was being repaired and being rear ended in California last year.

Expedite Services was gracious enough to let us take one of their Cascadia's while our truck was in the shop. We ran the truck as if it was our own with no guidance from ES nor where we involved with any programs of Expedite Services. Once our truck was out of the shop we took the Expedite Services truck back to their offices. They will work with anyone that is in the situation we were in.

Expedite Services has advertised their O/O program and had a workshop at the Expo talking about this program. As for the .03 that is being discussed I do not have a clue.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
We did run for ES for two months while our truck was being repaired and being rear ended in California last year.

Expedite Services was gracious enough to let us take one of their Cascadia's while our truck was in the shop. We ran the truck as if it was our own with no guidance from ES nor where we involved with any programs of Expedite Services. Once our truck was out of the shop we took the Expedite Services truck back to their offices. They will work with anyone that is in the situation we were in.

Expedite Services has advertised their O/O program and had a workshop at the Expo talking about this program. As for the .03 that is being discussed I do not have a clue.
The .03 came from ES. It was explained to me that it comes from FEDEX's part of their % and not charged back to the truck that took the load. The arrangement relieves FEDEX of many tasks associated with the contract....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My best guess is it is a liability/employee-contractor move.

I know much has been discussed about IC/Employee status,particularly at Fedex. ( Fedex more so because of it's different divisions.)

At Fedex CC I do not believe the single truck operator comes close to an employee.

When Billy-Bob trucking has 3,4,or 5 trucks and more, I believe it's a sham to call Billy-Bob's drivers IC's.

I believe they are Billy-Bob's employees.
Just one man's opinion.
I pay over $1500 per month for payroll taxes,unemployment, etc.
That's for ONE team.
The fleet owner that has a truck next to me with IC's operating it have a definite price advantage over me.

It's just another obstacle to overcome in this business.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
My best guess is it is a liability/employee-contractor move.

I know much has been discussed about IC/Employee status,particularly at Fedex. ( Fedex more so because of it's different divisions.)

At Fedex CC I do not believe the single truck operator comes close to an employee.

When Billy-Bob trucking has 3,4,or 5 trucks and more, I believe it's a sham to call Billy-Bob's drivers IC's.

I believe they are Billy-Bob's employees.
Just one man's opinion.
I pay over $1500 per month for payroll taxes,unemployment, etc.
That's for ONE team.
The fleet owner that has a truck next to me with IC's operating it have a definite price advantage over me.

It's just another obstacle to overcome in this business.

You pay unemployment?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah ;(

If I fire my wife, she can collect on me.

When I lay us both off, I will collect.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
The other day I accepted a load that fit my criteria. I then entered the info into my GPS when I got it. It was a multiple drop that according to my GPS should take 11 hr & 23 min. If everything went right I should be ok. It didn't! 47 mi. to last drop, 30 min on clock. Short of it, they sent a tow truck, hauled me to the dock, cost me $300 and had to start down time all over. Product wasn't needed till end of the month. Could have hauled next day but nobody asked, after I asked if they would check. Next day after sitting all day and turning down low balls, I got a phone call, $289 for 328 mi, countered, they pleaded, lowered counter for Jason (the team??). Didn't hear back till a couple hrs later after I cleaned up and went to have supper. Another phone call, pleading, wasn't anymore money in it, only truck in area. Stupid got sucked in. 5lb C unit load across Va hwy 50, middle of the night, road rougher than hell, C-link navigation useless, dispatch left two highways off local directions. My GPS found town but not pwr. plant. Of coarse I got messages and phone calls. Final stop at nuclear pwr plant (I could tell they couldn't have afforded to pay more for load) Upon opening up everything for the entry inspection, I found power steering fluid running down behind gearbox. SOoo next day...... tow truck $375, new gear box $2800.00 (still waiting for install) making deal with Fedex to pay off at $400.00 a week so I can take another one for the team, priceless!! Even though I'm a new guy, I still know when they lie about just wanting to put the tip in?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would protest the $300. Tow. It has been my experience, if it was not your fault, they will pay the tow.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
I was told I should have taken off the day before and used my deadhead. Only thing is I had my truck in the shop checking the brakes and doing maintenance, I was also doing laundry, taking a shower and stocking groceries. Using my sink for baths only goes so far and not being prepared for some of these trash dump sites they call truck stops, in the middle of nowhere, or in the middle of the city, will just cost more money. I may be new to this job but I've been a self employed tight *** for a couple decades. What you have left to give for your family to live above the looming welfare line is the most important thing in the world. Otherwise, who of us would be making this sacrifice? I absolutely love what I am doing now, and I do like working for the Fed. My stress level has gone down along with one pant size. I got tired of customers acting like your best friend and telling me how good my work was then obviously turning away when you see them on the street the next day. Who of us would continue to put up with cranky lift drivers and dock foreman or the crappy places we have to park our homes if we can no longer cover the reasons we do the work we do? My 17 yr old daughter telling me in tears that she misses me is hard especially when I couldn't get home for 6 wks. My suggestion was allow these lower paying loads to be used to go directional. Some would like to go home a little more often to refresh the reason we're here

piattteam

Active Expediter
Michelle and I have run for ES as o/o and now as contract drivers.
They have helped us immeasurably in both capacities.
We are having a new truck built, at present, and will, without a doubt, have them as our agent again, when we return to the o/o ranks!!
You lose absolutely no freedom by having them as your agent, and the benefits are many.
We had (and will again) all of our truck insurance through them. We have our health, vision and dental insurance through them. They handle money distribution for you.
Michelle and I keep their business cards on hand and hand them out, without reservation, quite often!!
A great bunch of people to deal with!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are having a new truck built, at present, and will, without a doubt, have them as our agent again, when we return to the o/o ranks!!
You lose absolutely no freedom by having them as your agent, and the benefits are many.
We had (and will again) all of our truck insurance through them. We have our health, vision and dental insurance through them. They handle money distribution for you.
Michelle and I keep their business cards on hand and hand them out, without reservation, quite often!!

How much do you lose to run through them instead of through FDCC directly? There HAS to be a cost to going through them, NOTHING is free!

I don't know who is taking all those $1.20-1.50 TVAL loads but they sure are willing to work for peanuts.

Deville

Not a Member

It sounds too good to be true.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Dont you have to pay ES a monthly fee to use their services?

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I talked to someone that was at ES HQ today. Fairly seasoned driver that said I need to look into it.