Load Acceptance Rates Included in Ranking

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I can see that being true to a certain extent. Just lookatyour settlement sheets weekly & compare what the truck made to what the customer was charged. Some weeks the numbers are very even.

From my own experiance I don't ask for more money on every load & some weeks the numbers are very even.

FEDEX can't blame the owner Operators for that. We need to make some money to. This isn't charity. All of our cost's have continued to rise while rates have fallen of cliff the past 6 years. Part of the issue is that alot of these loads are load board loads that Fedex bids on b4 dispatch sends them out to the truck, than they can't figure out why they can't get it covered & will offer 95% of the tariff to the truck. In Addition to revenue CC needs a high daily, weekly & month load count to justify it's existance.

CC has always been the lowest preforming arm of the FEDEX family of companies, BUT we do serve a niche need that people & companies use, so even we are under preforming profit wise we still have to service the customer needs in order to retain that customer since chances are that customor is using CC, Freight, Express & Ground to meet it's own customer needs.

Than one must take into account that even if CC is losing money overall the company get's to write the loss off at the end of fiscal year saving money on it's overall tax burden.

Well said, after 9 years I think we have had enough of this.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
There was a time when there was a set rate for each size unit. Your pay could not be less than one size down. For example a E always got E or D pay, a D always got D or C pay. That system was fair to all even the customer. I know for a fact some of these low ball offers today are paying as high a rate to FedEx as they always have, but FedEx is giving less to the truck. They must see growth and will do anything to achieve it.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
There was a time when there was a set rate for each size unit. Your pay could not be less than one size down. For example a E always got E or D pay, a D always got D or C pay. That system was fair to all even the customer. I know for a fact some of these low ball offers today are paying as high a rate to FedEx as they always have, but FedEx is giving less to the truck. They must see growth and will do anything to achieve it.

Your post brought up an interesting discussion. A suggestion was made that if you counter an offer, you should state; "xxx.xx OR CONTRACTED RATE WHICHEVER IS GREATER." Your post has caused to surface the possibility that if they are not sending out contract rate and if you counter less than what would be the contract rate then you basically agreed to accept that load at a lower rate.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Your post brought up an interesting discussion. A suggestion was made that if you counter an offer, you should state; "xxx.xx OR CONTRACTED RATE WHICHEVER IS GREATER." Your post has caused to surface the possibility that if they are not sending out contract rate and if you counter less than what would be the contract rate then you basically agreed to accept that load at a lower rate.
I agree, your right. I think it is not unfair to expect at least a rate comparable to the size of the load, if a D unit is offered a C load it should pay at least C rate. There has to be minimum rates for each size load. It's not hard to figure out no carrier moves full truck loads for LTL rate. A carrier that has more contractors leased than they need to handle normal customer demand can increase there bottom line by requiring contractors to haul loads obtained from bidding load boards. Now if you are ahead to accept that cheaper load rather than sit with no load is a tough decision, but you should not be penalized for not wanting to move anything thrown at you. Maybe if a D refuses a C load paying C rate, count it as a refusal, but not if it's below C rate. Trying to force trucks to accept every load only increases the carriers bottom line at the contractors expense. I don't know why I post this, everyone already knows it. My only point in this was what a FedEx employee tells a contractor is crap, because they see things differently than the contractor does. Of course it looks silly to a dispatcher or other employee why a D unit won't take a 150 mi. run for 150.00.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Whoa !

If I'm supposed to get xx% , why offer less than that ? Wouldn't that be a violation of my lease ?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Whoa !

If I'm supposed to get xx% , why offer less than that ? Wouldn't that be a violation of my lease ?
Not sure it would be. If you are offered a load eg; 10,000lb .69pm and suddenly they up it to 1.32 per mile when you refused the first offer, was it really offered at contract rate in the first place. I think it is safe to say that a typical 'D' unit reefer/lift gate cost around .84cpm +- .15cpm based on 100,000 miles per year to operate (as a base point) not including the pay for the driver. So when an offer comes in below your operating cost, did that dispatcher under bid that load? Are they really that uninformed as to what it cost to operate these units? And if so, should the contractor bear the financial burden for the recklessness or naivety of that dispatcher? If I am off on the operating cost than what is it really?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I get a low offer I look at the loaded miles and the rate. That's how I determine if it's a good load. ( that doesn't mean it's a good load for me, today.)
If it's a good load I really analyze if I can do anything because we have to protect good loads.
Then I look at the offer. I can break even on the load and protect a good customer.
If I'm too far to do it, it wasn't meant to be.
At the end of the month, I must be profitable.
Approaching 5 years, I haven't had issues with bad months.
Bad weeks, yes. Bad months,no.

My point is .69 could have been the rate, if dh is excessive.

Last year I deadheaded 750 miles to do a 40 mile load. I got many times the contracted rate, I imagine.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Stop HEM HAWen about it.
This isnt HEE HAW and you sure are not JR Samples are ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
As a straight truck o/o, I really don't pay much attention to what other rates are. I don't even pay attention to my class. I pay attention to the rates I need to charge to make a profit. Lately it seems I could have stayed home and drove a garbage truck and been better off. I've talked to many D & E drivers lately that are ready to give it up with Fed Ex, many before the acceptance rates came in. Personally, I wonder if at the rates of new hires and new trucks (of which I'm one) if maybe they wouldn't like to shed the more independent, higher cost trucks in favor of the less experienced, more controlable, ones? It's not just the rates but the small loads and down time between. Used one hour on a fresh clock to del. today. Had one crappy load offer for tomorrow. 190 miles? Sure why not waste two days. There is alot more than just rates! Two crappy loads in a day could make a decent day. Yea I know it doesn't work that way but how can you make money when you are forced to sit because you don't accept a less than profitable load, that wastes your clock as well? Garbage truck looking better! Ready to hear from other recruiters. Will also be checking into local (home) options. Didn't make the investment and sacrifices to be underbid and starved out! If you want to work for less than cost, thats your business, or lack of it when you lose it. I'm not done yet but I'm on the edge. [email protected] if you have a better offer. $$$$$ trumps one way loyalty.

kennyb1164

Rookie Expediter
I am a solo driver in an E unit. If I get load offers while moving I have to stop to read them. I used to do this with every offer, hit the shoulder if there were no other options. I didn't like that for many reasons, safety being #1. Now if an offer comes in I try to listen to it over C-link and if I'm interested in it then make an effort to respond, if I'm not I just keep moving.

My question is... If I ignore an offer is that counted against me as a turndown?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am a solo driver in an E unit. If I get load offers while moving I have to stop to read them. I used to do this with every offer, hit the shoulder if there were no other options. I didn't like that for many reasons, safety being #1. Now if an offer comes in I try to listen to it over C-link and if I'm interested in it then make an effort to respond, if I'm not I just keep moving.

My question is... If I ignore an offer is that counted against me as a turndown?

From what I have been told ignoring an opportunity is the same as a decline.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
I believe points are given for acceptance. Turndown or no responce make no difference. If this was true how would they come up with an acceptance rank with a %? They have to base it on an accept to unaccept ratio. Another thing that seems a bit off is this, if by contract they have to put the loads out at a certain %. Then you recieve offer after offer at $1.00 to 1.30 per mile how would this even be close to price they are charging the shipper. I know of an owner who has seen what Fed Ex has charged the shipper and it wasn't at the contracted percentage the load was paying and he accepted at. When he brought this to Fed Ex's attention they mudded the water "With well there was other factors involved ie airfreight or prior trucking involved". Well he bought that explenation but when he caught it again and knew there was no other shipping involved he knew Fed Ex wasn't being very honest with the % of the load being offered out. To me if it's in the contract then both parties in said contract better be living up to thier ends of it. I'm running for an owner so I am not privy to the contract side of being an owner but I know several owners so it wouldn't be very hard to find out the details. Think I might have a bit more to say if I were an owner and found out they were being a bit less then honest with me about the pay. I like this lifestyle of running a whiteglove reefer truck. And I do enjoy running for Fed Ex. Just hope they are upfront with us on the pay. And yes I'm looking for the right truck to buy and join you owners in this fantastic adventure known as Expiditing

xlr81966

Seasoned Expediter
I can see that being true to a certain extent. Just lookatyour settlement sheets weekly & compare what the truck made to what the customer was charged. Some weeks the numbers are very even.

From my own experiance I don't ask for more money on every load & some weeks the numbers are very even.

FEDEX can't blame the owner Operators for that. We need to make some money to. This isn't charity. All of our cost's have continued to rise while rates have fallen of cliff the past 6 years. Part of the issue is that alot of these loads are load board loads that Fedex bids on b4 dispatch sends them out to the truck, than they can't figure out why they can't get it covered & will offer 95% of the tariff to the truck. In Addition to revenue CC needs a high daily, weekly & month load count to justify it's existance.

CC has always been the lowest preforming arm of the FEDEX family of companies, BUT we do serve a niche need that people & companies use, so even we are under preforming profit wise we still have to service the customer needs in order to retain that customer since chances are that customor is using CC, Freight, Express & Ground to meet it's own customer needs.

Than one must take into account that even if CC is losing money overall the company get's to write the loss off at the end of fiscal year saving money on it's overall tax burden.

Mmmmm BAhahahahahahaha--- That's has to be the funniest ,B.S. post I have seen in a long, long time. "CC has always been the lowest performing arm of the FedEx family of Companies". That my dear friend is an outright, misinformed, Kool-Aid drinking, misconception, uneducated Lie!! I normally do not Post in the forums here until something just sticks in my throat and I'm just about to pass out from increase in blood pressure. Custom Critical has "ALWAYS" been the best profit margins performing company in all of FedEx since it was purchased in the Caliber Logistics Buyout. In 2009 and 2010 FedEx Freight earnings per diluted share were horrendous . So to Prop up Margins and Gross revenue Custom Critical was Umbrellaed under Freight therefore returning freight to a better O.R. and silencing investors worries of the freight segment. FedEx Custom Critical outshines every other Expedite J.I.T. Carrier in Existence to date including all FedEx segments, in "ALL" categories. ABF's purchase of Panther goes to show you how and why the asset lite expedite companies are in high demand and what It can do for Margins within an LTL Co. Just yesterday ABF reported earnings. Here is just a sample of that report.

"ABF Freight’s income excluding taxes and interest more than doubled in the third quarter to $17.2 million from $8.5 million. The logistics and expedited businesses, including Panther Expedited Services, boosted profit on that basis to $6.3 million from $3.8 million."

And this is just one quarter. So before you start spouting off and trying to spew lies about profits of a Company you need to get your facts straight. If someone else is telling you that Custom Critical is not making money it's an outright Lie !!! How many times in the last 6 years has there been a rate increase to the bulk rate tariff ?? How many times has the tariff increase been offset with a reduction in the fuel surcharge?? What were the profits of freight after the realignment was effective ?? As far as the rest of your post -- I couldn't agree more.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Redtruck yes it does if I shoot down a load. It counts agaisnt my Load Percentage Accept rate which now some how figures in to weather you get the load or not 1st or 2nd out. For the life of me and being for real here A tractor Trailer cant do a B load and make money on the toll roads in the NY sector. The same goes with baby sitting loads over a weekend for a tractor 800.00 for a load that pu on friday then delivers on Tuesday. Give me a Break. Read the weekly letter and and it tell you to go out of Service on your last load if you going home or if your partner is going home . To save your acceptance. Yupp. Low Ball Loads wake up Im not paying to Haul Freight. Van loads C loads Even D loads or Even Tractor Loads if the tolls not paid Im not doing it. We should not have to take a loss to get a load done. Underbidding thats their fault not mine

Last edited: