Pulled Muscle

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I was really wishing for a heating pad and next time we are home I will try and remember to add one to the truck..

Please keep in mind that heat is contraindicated in an acute injury. It causes vasodilation which increases blood flow to the injured area and can exacerbate the inflammation. DO NOT use a heating pad during the first 48 hours. You can make things worse.
Always use ice during the first 48 to 72 hours after a muscle strain injury.
Ice causes vasoconstriction which slows the swelling and inflammation and reduces the pain.
Make the transition from ice to heat when all signs of inflammation are gone.
Note: Do not leave the ice on continuously. Remove it after approximately 20 minutes and let the skin return to normal temperature before re-applying.

I recommend bringing both a heating pad and an ice pack and making sure to use them properly.

BTW - Massage is questionable during the acute inflammatory stage as well.
While it can reduce pain symptoms through pain mediation it can also increase the swelling and aggravate the injury if not done properly. This is when an experienced sports injury massage therapist could help.

I personally do not agree with ingesting chemicals so I will refrain from commenting about the pharmaceutical options. :p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Humble2drive I am always confused on a muscle injury so I am glad you clarified that it is cold first and later heat.

I also do not like to take medication or any pain relief, the pain is there for a reason. I did take an over the counter pain relief for this injury so I could sleep and the next day worked at isolating the pain. In the evening I was able to stretch and move until I worked the kink out and I was a little surprised at how fast the pain ebbed away.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Indeed we are getting older, and short of suicide, there is nothing we can do about that.

Physically, it means we have to work harder to be fit than when we were younger. We can't get away with eating whatever we want whenever we want. We can't leap out the back of a dock-high truck without fear of injury like a young person can. Doing what was a simple chore when we were younger, like moving freight around in the back of a truck, can easily result in an injury when we are older. And even if we are not injured handling freight, we may get aches and pains that we did not feel in our youth. Some of these may motivate us to move less, taking us further down the deconditioning path and reinforcing the downward spiral.

Since Diane and I learned how to use gyms on the road, the clock continues to tick but the aches and pains are gone and our energy has increased. It is good to work out whenever and wherever you can but the gyms make available to us a full selection of cardio and strength equipment that provides full-body workouts. Every major muscle group can be exercised and strengthened by using this equipment. The available showers make it easy to complete a full workout without worrying about blowing your shower.

It makes a difference. It is easier now for us to climb in and out of the truck. Increased flexibility makes it easier and more desireable to move around. The fact that our muscles have been recently exercised reduces the chance that we may sprain, strain or pull something while doing manual labor. We feel more awake and alert behind the wheel.

I especially enjoy the selectorized equipment the gyms provide. The machines keep your body safely and well positioned while you work a particular muscle group. For a deconditioned person like me who has a way to go before I would call myself physically fit, selectorized is the solution.

While injuries can still happen, of course, the aches and pains are gone. It feels good to feel good.

Phil I thought by now you and Diane would be happily running your Gyms? How is that project going?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Humble2drive I am always confused on a muscle injury so I am glad you clarified that it is cold first and later heat.
Post #5, final paragraph.

I also do not like to take medication or any pain relief, the pain is there for a reason. I did take an over the counter pain relief for this injury so I could sleep and the next day worked at isolating the pain. In the evening I was able to stretch and move until I worked the kink out and I was a little surprised at how fast the pain ebbed away.
The pain is there for a reason, and it's because the brain is sending signals to the damaged muscle, as well as surrounding muscles which affect it, to let you know not to use that muscle. The signals put tension on the muscles to discourage their use. But that same tension also constricts blood flow and retards healing. Taking an OTC pain reliever removes the tension from the muscles and increases blood flow, which promotes faster healing. That doesn't mean you can take a pain reliever and keep on using the muscle as normal, obviously, as you have to me mindful not to use the muscle even if there's little or no pain. But by taking a NSAID to get some sleep, more of your body's resources are dedicated to healing rather than to the operations of stressing you out over the injury.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil I thought by now you and Diane would be happily running your Gyms? How is that project going?

We thought so too, but the project is going slower than expected.

The delay is due to the surprisingly slow negotiating process to lease suitable space for our first gym. The second gym will follow after the first is up and running. We are represented by a firm that specializes in commercial real estate for franchisees, but the lease negotiating process is subject to many variables and drags on.

All we can do is keep leaning into it, which is what we are doing. In the meantime, we earn our keep and continue to grow our capital by hauling expedited freight, and use much of our free time to study the fitness business and prepare for our future in it.

Last edited:

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Post #5, final paragraph.

Here are some excerpts from your post #5, last paragraph:

You want an anti-inflammatory to promote blood flow.

No. I do not want an anti-inflammatory at all if it can be avoided.
NSAIDs do not have a direct effect on the circulatory system to "promote blood flow". They do place stress on the kidney which can cause fluid retention leading to an increase in blood pressure. This is considered a negative side effect which can be dangerous in people who are already hypertensive.

An ice pack on the muscle for up to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day will also promote blood flow, lower inflammation and speed healing.

On the contrary. Ice has the effect of reducing blood flow to the injured area by causing the blood vessels to constrict. While this has the desired effect of reducing inflammation it can actually lengthen the recovery period.

After a couple or three days, however, heat therapy works better to help break down any remaining damaged cells and increase blood flow.

Yes. Now we are finally increasing blood flow.

I admit that I rarely use ice or heat except in really bad sprains or pulled muscles. Generally a NSAID and rest (not using the muscle) for a few days does the trick.

That could be detrimental to your health.
IMHO it is more practical for overall health to exhaust conservative non harmful methods of treatment such as ice, rest, elevation, soft tissue manipulation, etc. before risking pharmaceutical options that may have many undesired side effects.

Ibuprofen may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

constipation

diarrhea

gas or bloating

dizziness

nervousness

ringing in the ears

Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, or those mentioned in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, call your doctor immediately. Do not take any more ibuprofen until you speak to your doctor.
unexplained weight gain

fever

blisters

rash

itching

hives

swelling of the eyes, face, throat, arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

difficulty breathing or swallowing

hoarseness

excessive tiredness

pain in the upper right part of the stomach

nausea

loss of appetite

yellowing of the skin or eyes

flu-like symptoms

pale skin

fast heartbeat

cloudy, discolored, or bloody urine

back pain

difficult or painful urination

blurred vision, changes in color vision, or other vision problems

red or painful eyes

stiff neck

headache

confusion

aggression

Ibuprofen may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online [at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch] or by phone [1-800-332-1088].

The pain is there for a reason, and it's because the brain is sending signals to the damaged muscle, as well as surrounding muscles which affect it, to let you know not to use that muscle. The signals put tension on the muscles to discourage their use. But that same tension also constricts blood flow and retards healing. Taking an OTC pain reliever removes the tension from the muscles and increases blood flow, which promotes faster healing.

That is an interesting hypothesis. If true, then the " increased blood flow " during a time of increasing inflammation in an acute injury would be detrimental to faster healing.

. . . by taking a NSAID to get some sleep, more of your body's resources are dedicated to healing rather than to the operations of stressing you out over the injury.

I didn't realize that my body's resources dedicated themselves to stressing me out over a muscle strain. Sounds like a fair trade off when compared to the known and unknown side effects of an ingested chemical. :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No. I do not want an anti-inflammatory at all if it can be avoided.
That's certainly your call. You do realize that "anti-inflammatory" simply refers to the property of a substance or treatment that reduces inflammation, or, in simpler terms, reduces swelling. That could be an ice pack, a NSAID, or simply raising the inflamed muscle to a level above your heart. Why you wouldn't want to reduce swelling is beyond me, but to each his or her own. <shrug>

NSAIDs do not have a direct effect on the circulatory system to "promote blood flow".
I never said they did (although the non-selective COX inhibitors such as ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc., do, in fact, thin the blood and and act as anti-coagulants, albeit nowhere near the level of Coumadin, and therefor promote increased blood flow). Most importantly, they do, however, reduce swelling, which does, in fact, promote increased blood flow to the injured tissues, which was my statement.

They do place stress on the kidney which can cause fluid retention leading to an increase in blood pressure.
So does water. <snort>

No medication is 100 percent safe for all people all of the time. Every medication's purpose is specifically to stop or alter a natural bodily function or process. There are always side effects when you do that. Always. There's no way around it. Some of those side effects can be highly detrimental, others are minimal or not even noticeable. There are also side effects of not taking a medication and allowing those natural bodily functions or processes to continue unabated. You must weigh the side effects in either case - taking a medication or not taking a medication.

Oddly enough, I'm really not one for taking pills, and have always resisted it heavily. It's all I can do to take the prescription medications I'm taking. I have a history of being handed a prescription and then never getting it filled. I'm on four prescriptions (plus a low-dose aspirin daily) at the moment, and I plan on getting off at least two of them by the end of the year. The only medication I'm a really big fan of is antibiotics. Not recklessly prescribed antibiotics, of course, it's just that whenever I've had an infection which required antibiotics, they're one of the very few medication that I've always taken every single pill that was prescribed, because I know the consequences of stopping them early.

This is considered a negative side effect which can be dangerous in people who are already hypertensive.
Which is precisely the reason for the last line in paragraph five in that post.

On the contrary. Ice has the effect of reducing blood flow to the injured area by causing the blood vessels to constrict. While this has the desired effect of reducing inflammation it can actually lengthen the recovery period.
OK, part of the confusion here is my badly worded line in that regard. It (incorrectly) reads like an ice pack will promote increased blood flow, and I do apologize for the bad wording there. An ice pack will reduce swelling, and it's the reduced swelling which then in turn promotes increased blood flow (despite the constricted blood vessels). Ice will constrict the blood vessels, but the blood will still flow freely through those vessels and through the tissues rather than a large chunk of it being diverted because of the swelling or being dumped into the injured tissues (mainly white blood cells). As far as ice lengthening the recovery period, if the ice is used immediately after the injury and then only for the first day or two, it doesn't lengthen the recovery period, it reduces it. After those first couple of days, heat is better for promoting healing, and ice will, in fact, retard the healing process at that point.

That could be detrimental to your health.
Yes, it could. When I'm at home I'll tend to use ice and heat, but I carry neither a heating pad nor an ice pack in the truck, so I'll either just tough it out, or if it's bad enough, I'll take an ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin. But rest assured, any of the pills that I may take are only taken with the advice and consent of three different doctors (two general practitioners and a cardiologist). The same holds true for antihistamines, antacids, cough medicine, any and every OTC medication of any kind. There are some OTC medications that I have been advised not to take in any circumstance, and I adhere to that advice. So, I believe that any detriment to my health is minimal, especially considering the rarity in which I take OTC medications.

IMHO it is more practical for overall health to exhaust conservative non harmful methods of treatment such as ice, rest, elevation, soft tissue manipulation, etc. before risking pharmaceutical options that may have many undesired side effects.
I am of the same opinion. Except... the methods you just described are all procedures to reduce inflammation, which you apparently don't even want at all. Weird. :D

That is an interesting hypothesis. If true, then the " increased blood flow " during a time of increasing inflammation in an acute injury would be detrimental to faster healing.
It's not really a hypothesis, it's verifiable medical fact. And, your conclusion is absolutely correct, as increased blood flow to an inflamed injury only further increases the inflammation and damages more cells, which slows healing. When an injury happens, the process of acute inflammation is initiated by cells already present in all tissues (called "inflammatory mediators"), mainly macrophages, dendritic cells and histocytes (immunity cells that fight pathogens and intruders, and enzymes which eat intruders and damaged cells) and mastocytes (or "mast cells," which are loaded with histamine (inflammatory) and heparin (anti-coagulant). These cells cause inflammation and vasodilation, which increases blood flow to the damaged cells all on its own. But the inflammation also decreases overall blood flow to the surrounding tissues. The cells also alter alter the blood vessels to permit the migration of leukocytes (mostly white blood cells) outside of the blood vessels into the tissue to fight infection. You don't want to artificially increase the blood flow to an inflamed area any more than the mastocytes already have. That would be bad.

This initial acute inflammation doesn't generally last very long and the inflammatory mediators have short lives and are relatively quickly degraded in the tissue (within a day or two, usually), unless there is a pathogen present or you kept otherwise stimulating the injury by constantly banging it or something. But if the inflammation continues, as with a muscle injury, increased blood flow while the inflammation is still there can be very problematic, since because of the alteration of the blood vessels to allow leukocytes and histocyte migration, too many white blood cells get poured into the injury, the enzymes keep right on eating the undamaged tissues after it's finished with any pathogens and damaged cells, and the immunity cells start turning on healthy cells if they can't find intruders. The way to mitigate that is to reduce the swelling using an anti-inflammatory, be it a NSAID, elevation, ice, whatever.

While ice constricts blood vessels, there is still good blood flow within those constricted vessels to the surrounding tissues if the swelling is reduced, because the reduced swelling and ice-induced constricted vessels don't allow the unimpeded migration of leukocytes and histocytes out of the blood vessels, neither of which are needed to fight a strained muscle. If the swelling is still there, there is increased blood flow to the damaged area, but the swelling reduces the overall blood flow to the surrounding tissues because the blood is diverted to more free flowing blood vessels. Reducing the inflammation solves that problem. That's why they have ice packs on the sidelines of football fields and other sports.

I didn't realize that my body's resources dedicated themselves to stressing me out over a muscle strain.
Your body gets all worked up in a domino effect over even the smallest of injuries. I know that every time I have blood drawn every cell in my body is affected. A paper cut, or when I prick my finger to check my blood sugar, is a big, fat hairy deal on the microscopic level within my body. For large injuries or other shocks to the body (like surgery), any external stress on top of the internal stresses can dramatically retard the healing process. If you're recovering from a broken bone, or certainly from major surgery, all of your body's energy needs to go to the healing process rather than having to split it dealing with external stresses, too. The last thing you want when recovering from something like that is to have a loved one who wants to argue with you, for example. They could be killing you without even realizing it.

Sounds like a fair trade off when compared to the known and unknown side effects of an ingested chemical. :p
You just have to know what you are taking. Like I said, there are also side effects of not taking a medication. You have to be educated about both.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This initial acute inflammation doesn't generally last very long and the inflammatory mediators have short lives and are relatively quickly degraded in the tissue (within a day or two, usually), unless there is a pathogen present or you kept otherwise stimulating the injury by constantly banging it or something. But if the inflammation continues, as with a muscle injury, increased blood flow while the inflammation is still there can be very problematic, since because of the alteration of the blood vessels to allow leukocytes and histocyte migration, too many white blood cells get poured into the injury, the enzymes keep right on eating the undamaged tissues after it's finished with any pathogens and damaged cells, and the immunity cells start turning on healthy cells if they can't find intruders. The way to mitigate that is to reduce the swelling using an anti-inflammatory, be it a NSAID, elevation, ice, whatever.
Is this in reference to the happy ending massage or are you talking about something else?

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
That's certainly your call. You do realize that "anti-inflammatory" simply refers to the property of a substance or treatment that reduces inflammation, or, in simpler terms, reduces swelling. That could be an ice pack, a NSAID, or simply raising the inflamed muscle to a level above your heart. Why you wouldn't want to reduce swelling is beyond me, but to each his or her own. <shrug>

Did you forget the smiley face?
You seem to find amusement in the tactic of focusing on semantics to defray a debate opponents argument. I have seen you use it many times here on the forum.
It is a reasonable conclusion for any casual reader to realize that I was using the term "anti-inflammatory" in the context of your post to refer to medications. Although ice does act to reduce inflammation, it is not commonly referred to as an anti-inflammatory. Of course you know that but it simply offered you a way to deflect the conversation in an attempt to diminish my points.
Now you may come back and reiterate how the term anti-inflammatory refers to all things that contribute to reducing inflammation and you will be absolutely correct. Bully for you!
In my opinion you are practicing a weak form of debate which is below your intelligence level. You are perfectly capable of understanding what I was referring to and sticking to the substance of the debate.

So does water. <snort>

Yes, of course I realize that you are attempting humor here; however, implying that the stress that NSAIDs may inflict on the kidney can also be inflicted by water is too big of a stretch even for your style of debate. <snort> ;)
I have suffered from acute kidney failure on numerous occasions and the Nephrologists at the Mayo Clinic have utilized "super saturation" with either oral intake of water or I.V. Fluids to reverse the situation. I must saturate my kidney daily in order to maximize function and I have no problems with fluid retention or Blood pressure.

. . . rest assured, any of the pills that I may take are only taken with the advice and consent of three different doctors (two general practitioners and a cardiologist). The same holds true for antihistamines, antacids, cough medicine, any and every OTC medication of any kind.

I am glad that you can "rest assured" but keep in mind that Medical Doctors are trained in most part by pharmaceutical representatives as to the safety and efficacy of what they are selling.
No one! Not even the scientists who developed them knows the exact physiological effects of these chemicals on our bodies and how they interact with certain diseases and other medications.

I am of the same opinion. Except... the methods you just described are all procedures to reduce inflammation, which you apparently don't even want at all. Weird. :D

Funny stuff there. Thanks for utilizing the smiley face this time.

It's not really a hypothesis, it's verifiable medical fact.

Now that is an extremely bold statement!
It was very rare for any of my medical school professors to state something as medical fact. Even most of the information in our text books was best guess theory based on the results of scientific experimentation and observation.
It was disconcerting to learn that many of the "facts" that I spent hours learning and memorizing were "believed to be" accurate. It was known that they were subject to change upon the results of further research.
This is why medical doctors shy away from presenting things as medical fact.
It can bite you in the arse later. :eek:

You just have to know what you are taking. Like I said, there are also side effects of not taking a medication. You have to be educated
about both.

You have put forth what I believe to be an impossible task. The process of developing a drug is not transparent; therefore, being fully educated about them is impossible. As I stated, even the scientist who develop them can not know every effect that it has on our physiology.
If most of the mice don't die and the humans don't die and the noticeable side effects are deemed tolerable by the FDA then it just gets thrown out there to the consumers.
In the end, I choose not to trust unreliable information that has been presented to the public by someone with financial interests that rely on the consumer's acceptance and is presented as facts.
So, no medications for me until no other choice is viable. :p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was a very interesting debate, lol.
Without taking sides, I'd just like to say that one doesn't need to carry heat or ice packs, as both can be quickly made from things we generally have on hand or can get [free!] at any truck stop.
Ice pack: put a large cup of ice chips in a plastic bag, wrap with a towel. [Assuming you don't have a bag of frozen peas or corn available.]
Hot pack: wet a dish or face towel, place in thin plastic bag, microwave about a minute. Wrap in dry towel before applying to affected area.

Truck stops provide free ice when you provide the cup, and they don't object to people using the microwave for a minute.
:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did you forget the smiley face?
No. I had hoped the light hearted nature of the response and the <shrug> would have been enough, but apparently not.

You seem to find amusement in the tactic of focusing on semantics to defray a debate opponents argument. I have seen you use it many times here on the forum.
Not really sure what that has to do with the substance of the debate, but OK...

My response to you was not based on semantics, it based on what you actually said. You stated, "I do not want an anti-inflammatory at all if it can be avoided," which is a statement of absolute and not open to semantic interpretation. To assume you meant something else would be improper, considering the precise language you used. If you had left off the "at all" then assumptions could reasonably be made. Just because you failed to say exactly what you meant, don't try and lay that on me.

It is a reasonable conclusion for any casual reader to realize that I was using the term "anti-inflammatory" in the context of your post to refer to medications. Although ice does act to reduce inflammation, it is not commonly referred to as an anti-inflammatory. Of course you know that but it simply offered you a way to deflect the conversation in an attempt to diminish my points.
The context of my post covered both NSAIDs and cold as anti-inflammatory treatments, with the focus being on reducing the swelling of the muscle (anti-inflammatory) in order to promote its healing. Your use of the term "anti-inflammatory" may very well indeed be in the context of your aversion to ingesting chemicals, but it certainly wasn't in the correct context of my post.

Now you may come back and reiterate how the term anti-inflammatory refers to all things that contribute to reducing inflammation and you will be absolutely correct. Bully for you!
Why would I reiterate (say something again) it? I've already said it. You simply chose to ignore it and create your own context. This thread is about the healing of a pulled muscle, not about the semantics of all things anti-inflammatory nor about the fear of anti-inflammatory drugs.

In my opinion you are practicing a weak form of debate which is below your intelligence level. You are perfectly capable of understanding what I was referring to and sticking to the substance of the debate.
So if I understand you correctly, you think responding to what was actually said, rather than assuming they meant something else, is a weak form of debate, and that an using a fabricated ad hominem attack deflection to diminish the opponent's points in the debate is a good way to stick to the substance of the debate. Got it.

Yes, of course I realize that you are attempting humor here; however, implying that the stress that NSAIDs may inflict on the kidney can also be inflicted by water is too big of a stretch even for your style of debate. <snort> ;)
It was using absurdity to illustrate absurdity. Your statement about NSAIDs putting stress on the kidneys, leading to water retention and high blood pressure leaves the distinct impression that it is not only probable, but very likely, if not to the point of a certainty. Yet kidney stress, water retention and high blood pressure from NSAIDs only occur in a very small percentage of people, even in those who are already hypertensive. Such a statement as yours, combined with the posting of a laundry list of all possible side effects, without including frequency of occurrence, is fear mongering. My statement of "so does water" is an absurd response to such absurdity.

I understand you have an aversion to taking medications. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not a big fan of them, either. But extreme non-pill popping is just the flip side of the extreme pill popper coin. Like I said, you have to educate yourself about both.

I have suffered from acute kidney failure on numerous occasions and the Nephrologists at the Mayo Clinic have utilized "super saturation" with either oral intake of water or I.V. Fluids to reverse the situation. I must saturate my kidney daily in order to maximize function and I have no problems with fluid retention or Blood pressure.
That doesn't mean that everyone will have kidney problems if they take a NSAID, though.

I am glad that you can "rest assured" but keep in mind that Medical Doctors are trained in most part by pharmaceutical representatives as to the safety and efficacy of what they are selling.
That may be true for some doctors, but certainly not for all. But if you go back and read my statement, it was a statement made in the context of me not being arrogant enough to think I know more than three doctors (one of whom, incidentally, was a pharmacist for 10 years before obtaining her medical doctorate) and thinking I know enough to properly, correctly and safely self-medicate, and that I confer with medical professionals whom I trust when making such decisions.

No one! Not even the scientists who developed them knows the exact physiological effects of these chemicals on our bodies and how they interact with certain diseases and other medications.
Now there's a bold statement if I ever saw one. Extremely broad and utterly absolute. As such, it's not true. Granted, no one knows 100% of every medication, but there are many, many medications where the chemical mechanisms, as well as the interactions, are absolutely understood, demonstrable and repeatable using irrefutable scientific methods. It's not an all-or-nothing zero-sum game where just because we don't know everything there is to know about one drug doesn't mean we don't know anything at all about another.

Now that is an extremely bold statement!
It was very rare for any of my medical school professors to state something as medical fact. Even most of the information in our text books was best guess theory based on the results of scientific experimentation and observation.
It was disconcerting to learn that many of the "facts" that I spent hours learning and memorizing were "believed to be" accurate. It was known that they were subject to change upon the results of further research.
This is why medical doctors shy away from presenting things as medical fact.
It can bite you in the arse later. :eek:
In many, maybe most cases, that's certainly true. All science is based on observation and experiment, and everything in science is a theory until evidence changes that theory. But the statement I made is hardly a bold one, since it's not a reckless broad statement based on hypothesis, and is instead a specific one. The cause and effect of electrochemical signals from the brain to muscle tissues can be measured with extreme precision, as can be the tension on a muscle. If you do A, then B always happens. Always. If you toss an apple into the air, it always falls down. Always (unless you introduce an external variable, of course). This is known as fact. The statement I made is also a fact, not even close to a bold one.

You have put forth what I believe to be an impossible task. The process of developing a drug is not transparent; therefore, being fully educated about them is impossible. As I stated, even the scientist who develop them can not know every effect that it has on our physiology.
The problem is, I didn't put forth such a task. You created those conditions and then mischaracterized my statement. You really should pay more attention to what I actually say rather than to what you think I might mean. My statement was, "You have to be educated about both." I did not say you have to be FULLY educated about both. There's a world of difference between those statements, as the addition of "fully" changes the meaning entirely and opens up my statement to the very criticism, based on semantics, which you manufactured. I do love a good irony.

Would you take a pill without knowing ANY of it's possible side effects? Just take it blindly without knowing anything about it at all? No, of course you wouldn't. You would want to educate yourself about the medication and all of its possible side effects, and the risks thereof, and then educate yourself on the risks of not taking the medication, and then compare those risks with each other. That's not an impossible task for most, it's a very doable task. It would not be very wise to educate yourself about one but not the other, or worse, intentionally remain ignorant about one or the other.

If most of the mice don't die and the humans don't die and the noticeable side effects are deemed tolerable by the FDA then it just gets thrown out there to the consumers.
It's what I like to call "public clinical trials" since real, actual clinical trials are a joke these days. My policy is five years. Once a drug has been on the market for five years, you then begin to have enough reliable data which can be used to make an informed decision about risks and efficacy. Until those five years have passed, I'm content to let others be the subject of public clinical trials. I refused one medication that one doctor wanted to prescribe because it's only been on the market for 3 years. Not enough reliable data yet. Sorry. The youngest medication I take has been on the market for 10 years.

I might certainly make an exception to the five year policy, but I have yet to run across or need a medication that hasn't met my criteria that I have been willing to take the risk of the unknown.

I'm on four prescription medications and one low-dose aspirin. All of these have side effects and risks. Having been on these for nearly a year I have not experienced any of the side effects, even the more common ones, but there are still some possible side effects that are being closely monitored (liver and kidney functions, etc.), as well as those side effects that I have not yet experienced which may very well manifest themselves at a later date. Some of the possible side effects of these medications are quite disturbing to say the least. But so are some of the side effects of not taking them. In fact, for me, the risks of not taking these medications are far worse than the risks of taking them.

For example, I know that my taking a cholesterol drug is putting my liver at risk. And it's a greater risk with higher dosages and for longer periods of time. I'm on a relatively low dose, which greatly decreases the risk, and I haven't been on it for very long, but the risk is still there. That's why my liver function is being closely monitored. I also know that by not taking the drug that my risk of having a stroke or a heart attack is, currently, much higher than my risk of liver damage. Taking the low risk of liver damage is, at the moment, a far preferable risk to the extremely high risk of having a cardiac event. I also know that if I continue to eat and live the way I have been, that the risks of taking the drug, as well as the risk of not taking the drug, are both greater and more severe. So, I have changed the way I eat and live my life, as much as I can, and will hopefully be off the drug completely, or at least on an even lower dose, sooner rather than later.

I know that because I have educated myself to the best of my ability of both taking them and not taking them. ;)

In the end, I choose not to trust unreliable information that has been presented to the public by someone with financial interests that rely on the consumer's acceptance and is presented as facts. So, no medications for me until no other choice is viable. :p
That's certainly one way to go, and I'm not all that different. It's just that rather than an absolutist or a zealot about it, I prefer to educate myself and then make a decision. While your aversion with chemical anti-inflammatories cause you to discourage others from taking them, my approach is to encourage people to educate themselves and weigh the risks of taking them versus not taking them, as well as to explore and employ all methods that will help. I wouldn't generally recommend that someone take an ibuprofen instead of an ice pack any more than I'd recommend they use only an ice pack and not take an NSAID, because both may be the better choice. Like I stated, with something like a pulled muscle, I usually just tough it out, not treat it at all, and let it heal naturally, but if it's bad enough, if it hurts too bad or I can't move, I'll take a pill. But I do so in an informed manner. I mean, the original question in this thread was about how to get a good night's sleep with a pulled muscle. My responses in this thread have been in that context.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
******Disclaimer******* Unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands, please skip to the last 3 paragraphs of this post as everything proceeding it is simply addressing my opponents inaccurate statements. ;)

No. I had hoped the light hearted nature of the response and the <shrug> would have been enough, but apparently not.

Absolutely not. The nature of your statement was condescending and this reader has no idea what your <shrug> is supposed to mean or furthermore what your <snort> is supposed to mean. :confused:

The context of my post covered both NSAIDs and cold as anti-inflammatory treatments, with the focus being on reducing the swelling of the muscle (anti-inflammatory) in order to promote its healing. Your use of the term "anti-inflammatory" may very well indeed be in the context of your aversion to ingesting chemicals, but it certainly wasn't in the correct context of my post.

As expected, you are attempting to change the original context of your post to suit your current argument and it is blatantly obvious.
This may come as a surprise but you don't get to decide what the context of your writing was after you wrote it. The reader must decide the context based on what you wrote. The time to make your self clear was when you wrote post #5 and it was obvious at that time that you were referring to anti-inflammatories as medications which is consistent with how the term is used by the general public.
If someone asked their Doctor for an anti-inflammatory because they pulled a muscle, their Doctor would correctly assume they desire a medication because that has become the generally accepted meaning of the term. Somewhat similar to someone asking you for a Kleenex, it would be correctly assumed that you want a tissue although Kleenex makes many different products.

In addition to the generally accepted practice of referring to anti-inflammatories as medicines the reader also makes their best determination regarding the context of a statement based on what proceeds the statement and what follows the statement.

Your statement:

"You want an anti-inflammatory to promote blood flow."

was proceeded by 6 paragraphs describing anti-inflammatory medications with specific drug names and terms used over 30 times with no mention of ice. This made it perfectly reasonable for the reader to conclude that you were using the term anti-inflammatory to refer to medications. This would also be consistent with how the public relates the term anti-inflammatories to medications.
keeping that in mind, take a look at your statement from post #5:

"You want an anti-inflammatory to promote blood flow. An ice pack on the muscle for up to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day will also promote blood flow. . ."

You stated that an anti-inflammatory will promote blood flow and "ALSO" an ice pack will promote blood flow. If you meant for the term anti-inflammatory to include ice, why put also. We both know what you meant and any amount of back peddling falls short.

Your statement about NSAIDs putting stress on the kidneys, leading to water retention and high blood pressure leaves the distinct impression that it is not only probable, but very likely, if not to the point of a certainty.

I simply said NSAIDS "may" cause stress on the kidneys and they may. Your addition that I meant "very likely" or "to the point of certainty" is your over dramatization in order to bolster your view point.

. . . posting of a laundry list of all possible side effects, without including frequency of occurrence, is fear mongering.

Oh, you mean the list that is included in the package that the consumer doesn't usually read? The list that must be read during a commercial for a medication that is spoken softly so the consumer doesn't notice? Are those commercials "fear mongering"?
"Frequency of occurrence" is a highly manipulated statistic that favors the drug manufacturer but you know that. Counting on low "frequency of occurrence" to give you piece of mind is like swimming with the sharks. After all, very few people get attacked. It is your risk to take.

Granted, no one knows 100% of every medication, but there are many, many medications where the chemical mechanisms, as well as the interactions, are absolutely understood, demonstrable and repeatable using irrefutable scientific methods.

That is your opinion which I believe is wrong. Some interactions are known and understood but ones that are not known and are not understood are not even included in the study results.

The cause and effect of electrochemical signals from the brain to muscle tissues can be measured with extreme precision, as can be the tension on a muscle.

Yes, in some cases. In other cases, not so much. As far as the physiological effects go we can certainly measure what we are monitoring; however, there are many effects taking place on a microscopic level that we don't even know to monitor.

You really should pay more attention to what I actually say rather than to what you think I might mean. My statement was, "You have to be educated about both." I did not say you have to be FULLY educated about both.

Seriously? I was supposed to think that you meant somewhat educated? partially educated? It is now my fault for assuming that you may want to be fully educated about something that your life depends on?
Maybe you should "actually say" what you mean instead of modifying it after the fact to suit your argument.

It's what I like to call "public clinical trials" since real, actual clinical trials are a joke these days. My policy is five years.

I absolutely agree that clinical trials are a joke; however, I also feel that your "public clinical trials" with an arbitrary time frame of 5 years is flawed as well.
Real world data collecting and correlating is dependent on patients reporting to their Doctors, their Doctors agreeing that the interaction is related to the drug and then actually reporting it to someone who is collecting and evaluating the information. Most of these notes just stay in the patient file never to be noticed.

I also know that if I continue to eat and live the way I have been, that the risks of taking the drug, as well as the risk of not taking the drug, are both greater and more severe. So, I have changed the way I eat and live my life, as much as I can, and will hopefully be off the drug completely, or at least on an even lower dose, sooner rather than later.

Congratulations! I would highly suggest that you look into the program proposed by Dr. Joel Furmann Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol if you haven't already. He could be considered a zealot; however, following merely 80% of his program would lead to great results. :)
After I lived through an extreme health scare 8 years ago, I met with my Doctor. He prescribed a cholesterol lowering drug, a blood pressure lowering drug and an osteoporosis drug. I declined to proceed with the medications and adhered strictly to a diet similar to Furmann's. In short order I had no need for the prescriptions as those problems were alleviated.
"Let food be thy medicine" - Hippocrates

In the end, this is a really simple matter. You stated your practice of taking NSAIDs and foregoing the ice. We have since learned that you do not carry ice and heat in the confines of your van so you go directly to NSAIDs and rest if indicated. You believe that the risk is worth the reward based on your knowledge of the drugs.
I believe that the full effect of NSAIDs is not completely known. I suggested using the ice and any other conservative treatments first and saving NSAIDs as a later option due to the possible side effects. The end result we are looking for is the same, even our methods to reach that end result are the same, just in a different order. :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
******Disclaimer******* Unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands, please skip to the last 3 paragraphs of this post as everything proceeding it is simply addressing my opponents inaccurate statements. ;)
Actually, it's off-topic ad hominem interspersed with unfounded accusations and blatant characterizations using a foundation of semantics and an incredible amount of pedantics that are incorrectly used.

Absolutely not. The nature of your statement was condescending and this reader has no idea what your <shrug> is supposed to mean or furthermore what your <snort> is supposed to mean. :confused:
The nature of my statement is what it is. How you choose to infer that nature is up to you. In this case, you inferred incorrectly. You also asked for clarification of my meaning, to which I gave answer, and you rejected that answer. Clearly, you choose to believe what you wish. There's nothing I can do about that.

<shrug> is the written illustration of what someone does when they physically shrug and give you that quizzical look. <snort> is the written illustration of me snorting with great sarcasm. Now you know. You're now educated in the <shrug> and the <snort> of the Turtle. Not "fully" educated, perhaps, but certainly more educated than you were yesterday. It's a happy day.

As expected, you are attempting to change the original context of your post to suit your current argument and it is blatantly obvious.
The original context of my post is still right there for you and anyone else to go back and read for yourselves. No edits have been made, the context has not changed in any way, shape or form.

This may come as a surprise but you don't get to decide what the context of your writing was after you wrote it. The reader must decide the context based on what you wrote.
The context is decided at the time it was written, and always by the writer, since that's who wrote it. I have not made any attempts whatsoever to change that context, nor could I if I wanted to.

The time to make your self clear was when you wrote post #5 and it was obvious at that time that you were referring to anti-inflammatories as medications which is consistent with how the term is used by the general public.
Make myself clear? Seriously? In Post #5 I first detailed the differences between ibuprofen and naproxen and aspirin, being very clear to indicate in the most unambiguous terms I know that they are, quite specifically, "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs." I know of no way to be more clear than that. The next time in that posting I used the term "anti-inflammatory" was in the final paragraph of that post, and it was done was in direct conjunction with the use of an ice pack to reduce inflammation. The distinctions between chemical and non-chemical anti-inflammatories in Post #5 are extraordinarily plain, clear and orderly to everyone except someone who sees any mention of a drug at all as being intentionally confusing, That's why I can only question your reading comprehension, as my text was intentionally plain, clear and orderly so as to be non-confusing, yet you confused it, anyway.

If someone asked their Doctor for an anti-inflammatory because they pulled a muscle, their Doctor would correctly assume they desire a medication because that has become the generally accepted meaning of the term. Somewhat similar to someone asking you for a Kleenex, it would be correctly assumed that you want a tissue although Kleenex makes many different products.
Two different red herrings, both incorrectly attempted. Their doctor wouldn't correctly assume they desire a medication because that has become the generally accepted meaning of the term, the doctor would assume they desire a medication because of the context in which the request occurred. People requests drugs from their doctors, they do not requests prescriptions for heating pads or ice packs, and in that context the doctor will assume the patient is requesting drugs. Context is everything, a concept with which you seem to have great difficulty. The Kleenex red herring analogy isn't even applicable in this context, or even in the manufactured context, so I won't even address it, as it requires the construction of a straw man argument in order to be applicable at all.

In addition to the generally accepted practice of referring to anti-inflammatories as medicines the reader also makes their best determination regarding the context of a statement based on what proceeds the statement and what follows the statement.

Your statement:

was proceeded by 6 paragraphs describing anti-inflammatory medications with specific drug names and terms used over 30 times with no mention of ice.
Again, it's a reading comprehension problem. And a serious one, at that. I made no mention whatsoever of the generic, generally acceptable usage of the term "anti-inflammatories" to refer to anything other than "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs" until the final paragraph where I specifically used the the term "anti-inflammatory" in specifically conjunction with an ice pack. I used the terms specifically and in different contexts, once with the specific reference to drugs, and the other with the specific reference to ice, expressly to ensure an intelligent reader could not possibly confuse the two uses within the same posting. It was you who took that once sentence, quoted it outside the paragraph and out of context, and then replied in a new context, and in course accused me of saying something which I did not.

This made it perfectly reasonable for the reader to conclude that you were using the term anti-inflammatory to refer to medications.
Not only is it not perfectly reasonable, it's absolutely an incorrect conclusion, not based in any way on what I wrote.

This would also be consistent with how the public relates the term anti-inflammatories to medications.
keeping that in mind, take a look at your statement from post #5:

You stated that an anti-inflammatory will promote blood flow and "ALSO" an ice pack will promote blood flow. If you meant for the term anti-inflammatory to include ice, why put also. We both know what you meant and any amount of back peddling falls short.
Again, you should concern yourself far more with that I write, rather than trying to figure out what you think I really meant. I used the term "ALSO" because many people do not realize that in addition to being an anti-inflammatory, the cold of an ice pack will also promote blood flow, by virtue of it reducing the swelling. I included that because up until that point in my response I had only talked specifically about NSAIDs (in the context of how to get a good night's sleep in a moving truck with a pulled muscle), and wanted to mention ice as being an alternative, even though it's probably not the best method to use in order to get a good night's sleep in a moving truck with a pulled muscle.

I simply said NSAIDS "may" cause stress on the kidneys and they may. Your addition that I meant "very likely" or "to the point of certainty" is your over dramatization in order to bolster your view point.
Not really. Like I said, I responded with absurdity to illustrate your own absurdity. My original post still stands on it's own. You tried to refute it by changing contexts, introducing theories about what you think I mean, and stating things that I have not said, and thus far have failed to refute it. I added "very likely" and "to the point of certainty" not as an overdramatization, but in the context of the entire sentence in which it was written, that of being my opinion of the distinct impression that your statement on NSAIDs conveys. Everything you've said about NSAIDs are negative and/or alarming. If you're looking for overdramatizations, you certainly don't have to look very far. The fact is, OTC NSAIDs are safe for most people and a very small percentage have even minor side effects from them, much less major side effects. You can disagree with that all you want, but you cannot refute it.

Oh, you mean the list that is included in the package that the consumer doesn't usually read? The list that must be read during a commercial for a medication that is spoken softly so the consumer doesn't notice? Are those commercials "fear mongering"?
Those commercials or whether or not people read the literature have nothing to do with what you posted or in the context in which you posted it. You posted it specifically to induce fear and discourage people from taking NSAIDs. There's nothing wrong with posting your opinion, but there's no reason to post the laundry list otherwise.

"Frequency of occurrence" is a highly manipulated statistic that favors the drug manufacturer but you know that.
Depends on where the statistics come from and who is manipulating them. Publicly gathered statistics collated by the CDC, WHO, FDA, HPFB, and the MHRA are generally far more impartial and often do not favor the drug manufacturers at all. Those are the statistics in which I pay more attention. I freely admit, however, to paying very little attention to statistics for those drugs for which I do not take nor am I likely to take. So the drugs I do research on are a very small number, indeed.

Counting on low "frequency of occurrence" to give you piece of mind is like swimming with the sharks. After all, very few people get attacked. It is your risk to take.
That's very true. I've been swimming in the ocean many times. Every time I've gone in the water, I've paid the most attention to news reports and the reports from marine biologists, lifeguards, Coast Guard and fisherman rather than to those of the tourism bureau or someone else with a vested interest in seeing me in the water. It's all about educating yourself using reliable sources and then making the best informed decision you can.

That is your opinion which I believe is wrong. Some interactions are known and understood but ones that are not known and are not understood are not even included in the study results.
If you are of the opinion that I'm wrong, why is the second sentence a rephrasing of exactly what I just said?

"Granted, no one knows 100% of every medication, but there are many, many medications where the chemical mechanisms, as well as the interactions, are absolutely understood, demonstrable and repeatable using irrefutable scientific methods."

Some interactions are known and understood, and some are unknown and not understood, and the ones that are known and understood, we know and understand them, and the ones we don't know and don't understand, we don't know or understand them. Really? How profound.

It might be simpler just to say any and all drugs scare you, or that you personally do not agree with ingesting chemicals and will refrain from commenting about the pharmaceutical options, and leave it at that.

Yes, in some cases. In other cases, not so much. As far as the physiological effects go we can certainly measure what we are monitoring; however, there are many effects taking place on a microscopic level that we don't even know to monitor.
I'm not taking about some cases or other cases, I'm talking specifically about the injury and inflammation of a pulled muscle. Why are you trying to introduce something outside the scope of the issues here? Are you that desperate to win an argument that no one but you is trying to win? So desperate to convince others to be afraid of all medications under any and all circumstances? Because that's the argument you're making.

Seriously? I was supposed to think that you meant somewhat educated? partially educated?
No, you're supposed to think exactly what I wrote, nothing more, nothing less, without some randomly selected qualifying adjective inserted for your own purposes.

It is now my fault for assuming that you may want to be fully educated about something that your life depends on?
No, it's your fault for assuming I meant something beyond what I said. The language I used is very precise. No need to embellish it.

Maybe you should "actually say" what you mean instead of modifying it after the fact to suit your argument.
I did say exactly what I meant. Exactly. I usually do, and it's rare that I don't. I tend to use very precise language that doesn't open itself up to varying interpretations. I do that intentionally, so that people do not misinterpret what I write. You probably should go back and read it, and do so without trying to interpret into it some ethereal meaning that's not explicitly stated. My entire post still stands on its own and in context with no need to modify of it for any reason. I haven't modified a single word, other than the badly worded sentence of which I clarified the meaning in Post #27. But that modification is irrelevant to my argument, isn't substantive to the point I made in that paragraph, nor to the one you are trying to make (unless I agree with you and change the meaning and context of my post, which I will not do).

I absolutely agree that clinical trials are a joke; however, I also feel that your "public clinical trials" with an arbitrary time frame of 5 years is flawed as well.
Well then certainly don't adopt my policy.

Real world data collecting and correlating is dependent on patients reporting to their Doctors, their Doctors agreeing that the interaction is related to the drug and then actually reporting it to someone who is collecting and evaluating the information. Most of these notes just stay in the patient file never to be noticed.
I would love to see the data you used to formulate the conclusion that most of the notes just stay in the patient profile never to be noticed (considering the reporting requirements for most drugs). But in any case, I feel that the public data from five years of public clinical trials is far more valuable and reliable than the few weeks or months of manufacturer-controlled clinical trials (or purely fabricated) which cannot be trusted at all, at least by me. Five years is enough information for which I can begin to use to make a more informed decision. But note that I did not say five years exactly, I said that at the five year point is where you begin to have enough reliable data which can be used to make an informed decision about risks and efficacy. Prior to the five years it's more or less a crapshoot, but after 5 years you have a little more information with which to work. That hardly means I'll start gobbling up any drug that's been on the market for at least 5 years. Granted, it's not all of the possible information, I won't be "fully" educated on all the permutations of the possibilities, but at least I'm a little more educated than I would be before the 5 years. 10 years is better, and once the patent actually expires is even better than that. I suppose I could come up with a policy where no amount of years of information would possibly be enough to begin to evaluate risks and efficacy, and therefore consider all drugs not an option, but that's a little on the extreme side, I think.

Congratulations! I would highly suggest that you look into the program proposed by Dr. Joel Furmann Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol if you haven't already. He could be considered a zealot; however, following merely 80% of his program would lead to great results. :)
I'm familiar with it, thanks.

After I lived through an extreme health scare 8 years ago, I met with my Doctor. He prescribed a cholesterol lowering drug, a blood pressure lowering drug and an osteoporosis drug. I declined to proceed with the medications and adhered strictly to a diet similar to Furmann's. In short order I had no need for the prescriptions as those problems were alleviated.
"Let food be thy medicine" - Hippocrates
Like I said, I'm not a pill-popping zealot any more than I'm an anti-pill-popping zealot. I can educate myself on the pros and cons of each and make a decision accordingly. For me, both drugs and lifestyle alterations were called for, which allowed for lower drug dosages and for shorter periods of time. Two drugs I refused and wanted to try diet first. The diet worked. I have other posts in these forums which partially chronicle my progress, which I feel is substantial progress and in a rather short time frame. The success is due far more to the changes in eating than to anything else. But the drugs allow me the time to get those changes going and settled in, and keep me alive until those changes allow me to get off most of all of them completely.

In the end, this is a really simple matter. You stated your practice of taking NSAIDs and foregoing the ice. We have since learned that you do not carry ice and heat in the confines of your van so you go directly to NSAIDs and rest if indicated. You believe that the risk is worth the reward based on your knowledge of the drugs.
Well, I really thought it was a simple matter, but you continually want to complicate it. Again, there's a reading comprehension problem, and in this case, it's a problem with a very basic premise which you draw an unsupported and incorrect conclusion. It is true that I do not carry ice packs or heating pads in the truck (mainly because I don't have pulled muscles very often and I don't want to mess with ice or a heating pad), but I also said that when I'm at home those are the very things I tend to use. I did not say that I "go directly to NSAIDs" in any fashion, and I cannot imagine how someone could conclude that I said or even meant that. I said, in the absence of heat or ice in the truck, I'll either just tough it out (without any kind of treatment) or, if it's bad enough, I'll take an ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin. How "if it's bad enough" translates to "go directly to" is beyond me. The mind boggles.

I believe that the full effect of NSAIDs is not completely known. I suggested using the ice and any other conservative treatments first and saving NSAIDs as a later option due to the possible side effects. The end result we are looking for is the same, even our methods to reach that end result are the same, just in a different order. :cool:
I, too also believe that the "full effects" of NSAIDs are not "completely" known. But I believe the "full effects" of anything we insert into our bodies are not "completely known, whether that be a drug or an apple or a glass of water. I believe that not knowing the "full effects" of something shouldn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be done. I believe that we should gather whatever knowledge we can and use that knowledge to make informed decisions. I believe that if someone needs relief from the pain of an inflamed muscle in order to get a good night's sleep in a moving truck, which is the context of the thread, that ice (or heat) is less effective than a NSAID for that purpose. I mentioned ice as an alternative, albeit a less effective one, in case Linda didn't want to use a NSAID. I believe that my answer was an appropriate one for those conditions, and I stand by it. Every word.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
<shrug> is the written illustration of what someone does when they physically shrug and give you that quizzical look.

Thank you for providing that excerpt from the Turtle Urban Dictionary.
It is clear now that <shrug> does not in any way indicate that the preceding text was light hearted in nature. Got it. :)

The context is decided at the time it was written, and always by the writer, since that's who wrote it.

Nope. The context must be decided by the reader once it has been written and posted. The writer can decide what context he desires; however, once it is posted it must be interpreted by the reader. If a writer is constantly blaming the reader for mis interpreting his statements then that writer may want to reconsider his writing style.
Until you understand that concept you will continue to post long winded explanations trying to convince readers what you meant to say rather than what you actually said.
I am merely trying to help here after observing you defend your words by belittling the readers over the years here on E.O.
It is fairly common for you to tell readers they have a reading comprehension problem. How many times do you need to repeat that before you take a look at yourself?

I have not made any attempts whatsoever to change that context, nor could I if I wanted to.

Of course you have not changed the original post. Good for you. You have, however, argued vigorously to try and change the readers understanding of the context that you created.

. . . So desperate to convince others to be afraid of all medications under any and all circumstances? Because that's the argument you're making.

Huh? Any and all circumstances? My position is to attempt conservative therapies first in the case of a simple strained muscle and not use NSAIDs if they can be avoided.
Obviously, there are times when pain meds can not be avoided. I recently arrived at the emergency room in extreme 10 out of 10 pain barely able to communicate but when the Doctor suggested morphine I couldn't say yes fast enough. :eek:
Luckily, I was educated enough to know morphine feel good, pain feel bad.

. . . many people do not realize that in addition to being an anti-inflammatory, the cold of an ice pack will also promote blood flow, by virtue of it reducing the swelling.

Nope. This statement was incorrect in post #5 and it remains incorrect. The physiological effect of ice is to constrict the blood vessels and reduce blood flow. It is only after removing the ice pack that blood flow may return to normal. That would also happen if the patient did nothing.

How "if it's bad enough" translates to "go directly to" is beyond me. The mind boggles.

You forgot to read the words "if indicated" which means "if it's bad enough" in your case. Slow down and read entire sentences, it may help that mind boggle problem you have.

I believe that my answer was an appropriate one for those conditions, and I stand by it. Every word.

Yes. In a drug dependent Nation, your answer was appropriate. :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thank you for providing that excerpt from the Turtle Urban Dictionary.
It is clear now that <shrug> does not in any way indicate that the preceding text was light hearted in nature. Got it. :)
That implies that you somehow thought the <shrug> itself was supposed to indicate something about the text that preceded it. I'm not sure why you would think that, as I've never indicated that it should. But OK. I'm glad it's finally clear to you now that the <shrug> doesn't indicate anything at all about the text which preceded it.

Nope. The context must be decided by the reader once it has been written and posted.
That's a statement written by someone who clearly doesn't even know the definition of "context."

The writer can decide what context he desires; however, once it is posted it must be interpreted by the reader. If a writer is constantly blaming the reader for mis interpreting his statements then that writer may want to reconsider his writing style.
That's two different issues. One issue is what "context" is in the first place. The definition of context is "the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect." The writer does indeed decide the context of what he is writing, and often creates the context itself. It is the job of the reader to recognize, acknowledge and accept that context rather than to interpret and create their own context.

Until you understand that concept you will continue to post long winded explanations trying to convince readers what you meant to say rather than what you actually said.
The problem is, I'm never going to understand your conceptualization of what context means, since you quite obviously don't understand it. The readers that I have to try and convince to read what I actually write without them adding additional words to my text, or additional meaning to the text that I wrote, are, thankfully, very few.

I am merely trying to help here after observing you defend your words by belittling the readers over the years here on E.O.
It is fairly common for you to tell readers they have a reading comprehension problem. How many times do you need to repeat that before you take a look at yourself?
If the readers at large have a problem understanding what I write, then you're right, it's my problem in that I'm unable to accurately convey my meaning through the written word.

But the vast majority of readers don't seem to have a problem understanding what I write. It is only a few, usually very vocal ones who do. If you notice, the few readers that I have to point out reading comprehension problems are the ones who steadfastly insist I mean something other than what the words themselves state, usually because they failed to read exactly what was written and instead mentally edit my words to mean what they want to hear, or because they are so head-strong about an issue that they are unable to comprehend the written word. Furthermore, even after clarification, they continue to insist that I still mean something other than what was stated.

For example, "You have to be educated about both [taking a drug as well as not taking a drug]," does not mean you must "fully educate yourself one hundred percent in any and all aspects of the drug and it's effects." Yet you insisted more than once that that's what I really and truly meant to say, even though I made it crystal clear that I did not mean that at all. You failed to comprehend what was written, because by your own admission you believe you are supposed to think something other than what was written.

Believing you are supposed to think something other than what was written is the exact opposite of reading comprehension. The hard reality is that you should read what was written without adding any meaning beyond what was written. If you can do that, and most people can, then you don't have a reading comprehension problem.

I'm trying to convey to you in the most diplomatic way I can, that being a member of the Poor Reading Comprehension Club is not something of which you should be proud, nor aspire to be a member. It is small and rather exclusive club, though. So there is that.

Of course you have not changed the original post. Good for you. You have, however, argued vigorously to try and change the readers understanding of the context that you created.
No, not readers plural, just you. And I have only argued vigorously to keep you from changing the context in which my text was created, which you seem so hell-bent on doing.

Huh? Any and all circumstances? My position is to attempt conservative therapies first in the case of a simple strained muscle and not use NSAIDs if they can be avoided.
Yes, any and all circumstances, within the context of a pulled muscle and trying to get a good night's sleep in a moving truck. You really do have a difficult time with the concept of context, don't you? Be that as it may, using conservative therapies are fine, but I believe conservative therapies, at least initially, is less effective for getting a good night's sleep in a moving truck.

Obviously, there are times when pain meds can not be avoided. I recently arrived at the emergency room in extreme 10 out of 10 pain barely able to communicate but when the Doctor suggested morphine I couldn't say yes fast enough. :eek:
Luckily, I was educated enough to know morphine feel good, pain feel bad.
Good example of creating a new context, and thinking it's within the same, original context. But OK.

Nope. This statement was incorrect in post #5 and it remains incorrect. The physiological effect of ice is to constrict the blood vessels and reduce blood flow. It is only after removing the ice pack that blood flow may return to normal. That would also happen if the patient did nothing.
The physiological effect of ice on non-inflamed tissue is to constrict blood vessels, but on inflamed tissue the initial effect is to reduce or retard swelling, and since swelling in and of itself reduces blood flow, the application of ice will promote blood flow. If the ice if left applied to the inflamed tissue for more than about 20 minutes, then the blood vessels will then become constricted and the flow of blood becomes reduced.

You forgot to read the words "if indicated" which means "if it's bad enough" in your case. Slow down and read entire sentences, it may help that mind boggle problem you have.
Well, I guess I should thank you for defining my own words for me. But in either case it doesn't in any way translate to "directly to."

Yes. In a drug dependent Nation, your answer was appropriate. :p
Ah, a brand new context! Excellent!

You prolly should have added a little <snort> in there to indicate the sarcasm, because I don't believe that whether or not the nation is drug dependent had any influence on my response. I simply don't believe that ice therapy every other 20 minutes for hours and hours is the most effective treatment for a pulled muscle while trying to get a good night's sleep in a moving truck. I believe that quick relief that is long-lasting is the best method of achieving the desired result of getting a good night's sleep in a moving truck. You obviously disagree, and apparently think one can apply ice every other 20 minutes in their sleep while in a moving truck. Well OK then.

The question asked was, "Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to get a good nights sleep?"

It's a very simple two-part question. I answered both and gave my advice. You, on the other hand, have chosen this thread to promote a personal agenda and to launch a personal attack on me which is outside the scope of this thread. Why would you do that?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Oops looks like I inadvertantly stumbled into the "medical soap box forum".

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app