Running up to Lodi Metals . . .

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Splitting hairs or cutting hot dogs in half .....I m lost .....but I load bar & Strap my freight.....:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Don't know that it matters if it is a CV or ST or TT...this thread started simply about going to Lodi Metals for some e-track and short strap ends for ratchets and an offer to check out anything another member might want to know more about.

It had nothing to do with securing first skids or how to strap, until you went off-topic and started getting defensive when others answered your question.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What Dave said. I'm lost too. I understood it to be no need to secure the first skid as it's flush against the seats. As mentioned, in a crash and maybe even in panic braking they aren't going to withstand the gravity weight thrust upon them. I admit to not securing freight 3 times. Once was an industrial circuit breaker at 4 pounds, once a giant bolt at 7 pounds and once an inch thick envelope around a pound. If there'd been a crash and either of the first two flew through the van and hit me in the head it would have been very bad but I didn't put them in the back where they could fly as easily, I put them in the passenger floor. Otherwise strapped down all the time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
that test is a CV and the 2nd skid is NOT secured adding to the pressure on the first....i and the test skid is not the ones I am speaking about....almost every skid gets tied down on MOST occasions....especially boxes in stretch wrap...I was taken out of context...I didn't say the whole story...

It is hard to reconcile that statement with your earlier post.
I don't understand the lead skid is locked in tighter then using a load bar and it's locked in from the rear There is absolutely no forward momentum... And the rear skid is tied down. In my rookie year I did experience a flying box.... Only once though....

You are trying to convince people that the back of the seat is a load securement device. Whether it appears to move or not has nothing to do with it. What does matter is the sheer strength of the seat bolt to stop a load at impact. As mentioned, forget it in a roll over accident. Some of this can be reviewed on NTSB reports involving crash tests. A secured load will minumize any of those impacts even if the strap or load bar breaks. Laziness or ignorance in load securement is never going to trump the laws of physics. Hopefully everyone secures all loads rather than "MOST"

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
So what did you wind up getting at LM?

Picking it up @ 16:00:

2 10' e-track, horizontal, galvanized
4 2' e-track, vertical, galvanized
2 wide handle ratchets with custom 8" short ends with e-fittings
2 custom made HD aluminum load bars, adjustable from 65-75" w/e-track ends

Great folks to work with. They can usually do the custom work the day it's ordered. In fact, when I called half hour ago to check if they might be closing early because of the holiday, Adam the salesman said"Order it now and we'll have it all ready when you get here."

That includes the custom short straps and custom load bars.

Moot, I'll get more info on load bars and types available when there.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
hey as you noticed...I can take the hit....Guido has thrown nearly everything but the kitchen sink to try and insult me ...he has insulted me, my truck and my habits.....just because I made fun of him buying a dash cam....I didn't know he was the perfect expediter..who knew?....LOL...

Hows that big rig driving coming along? Jake.... found a good carrier yet?

I'm still with ozark. They have their warts but I'm going to tough it out.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Here's what I picked up yesterday at Lodi Metals, along with two pieces of 10' e-track:

etrack-ratchets-loadbar.jpg
Vertical e-track (sideways slots), Ratchets w/short straps, and Load Bar.

Notes for those considering how to set up or re-do a cargo area in a van:

The 2' vertical e-track will replace the horizontal e-track I have going across the opening just inside the back doors (see pic earlier in the thread). Easier to attach cargo straps to without twisting, and helps greatly in protecting the plywood floor from forklift forks.

LodiRatchetShortStrap.jpg ratchets-compared.jpg ratchets-compared2.jpg
Custom Lodi Ratchet w/8" short strap on left, older ratchet on right as comparison.
This is the deal of the year, in my book. These HD ratchets, WITH custom length strap, are $6.00 ea.

The new Lodi ratchets are heavy duty, rubber coated handle and grip, easier to use, and just more rugged all the way around. The short strap makes it much easier, as Leo and others have pointed out, to attach that end to your e-track with just enough to clear skids, then be able to stand on the ground and release your straps when you deliver. Makes a big difference, for some freight, to not have the ratchets right on the goods, and to not have to climb up and reach between freight and van ceiling to release straps.

HDloadbar-retracted.jpg HDloadbar-extended.jpg
HD Load Bar ends showing expandable ends in and out.
Total length to outside edge of the e-track fitting is what you order, in 10" differences. Mine are 65"-75" and have an extra 1/2" of play, reaching a total of 75.5" actually. I measured the inside width of my cargo area in several places up and and down and front to back to be sure I was ordering the right thing. American cargo vans curve in both height and length. Don't assume that a width measurement just inside the rear doors will be the same halfway towards the front.

Prices can be found here: E-Track Load Bar : Lodi Metals, Inc. . Evidently, when you have one cut to your specs, you pay for the next longer length, but there is no upcharge for cutting and re-installing the sliding end with e-track fitting.

After Moot wondering above in this thread about load bars, then pondering putting my replaced e-track (either 2' or 8') on the walls in my cargo area, I compulsively ordered 2 HD load bars when I called en-route. Rated for a break strength of 3000 lb. They weigh approx 24# ea, I was told. I'm assuming that is before cutting to my specs.

I figured, what the hey, the more break strength the better in case of a serious accident. Now that I have them, I think I should've just got the regular load bars, rated for 2000 lb. These are way rugged, and perhaps a bit heavier and more than I'll need, though may be perfect for supporting modular vancamping units I'm designing. Even then they are a bit rugged. Might sell/swap these at the Expo if anyone is interested.

If considering load bars, you won't always want them in place across the width of your cargo space when not loaded. It should go without saying to plan a secure way to stow them when not in use. They'll make excellent unguided missiles in a sudden stop or accident.

Lodi Metals does not have a showroom or walk-through store, just a small front entry and office window, but Adam the salesguy says they are really good about updating their website regularly, usually daily, and that it has everything they sell other than pics of custom products.

If you're anywhere near Bellville OH (4mi off I-71 just south of Mansfield), it's easier to pick up a lot of the stuff in person than it is to have it shipped, especially the 10' e-track. UPS and FedEx will do up to 8', I'm told.

Nope, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but after reading about them here once or twice and wanting some new, longer, e-track, I decided to give them a shot. Couldn't be more pleased with how the calls, order process, and delivery went. Actually pretty refreshing to deal with a company that offers such a diverse range of high quality product, has an efficient and knowledgeable sales team, and is as efficient and fast in producing custom orders as anyone could want.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Nice haul from Lodi, 21c!! I love those little e-track strap ends and the ones you can attach to the end of a 2x6!! Very handy. I need to add e-track in my CV. Very versatile!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Excellent thread, and the photos really help. One bit of equipment that I've found to increase versatility of loadbars & straps is called a logistics sleeve: an open square that slides over the load bar, with Etrack slots on each side. It allows you to secure straps to load bars, and even create a 'cage' of 4 bars around the load.
I don't think Lodi Metals has them [if memory serves, they did once, but a 'patent issue' stopped them from selling them], but they are available at New Haven Moving Company in Louisville, Ky [and other major cities] for $36.00 ea. They don't add much weight, but may be just what you needed, some day.
Also, I like the lighter load bars that have flexible rubber pads on each end, so they can angle, if needed. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but they are available at the Expo. In different lengths and colors, too, lol.
Because freight comes in all kinds of configurations, it's good to be prepared for whatever the shipper wants to send somewhere else.
:)

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Excellent thread, and the photos really help. One bit of equipment that I've found to increase versatility of loadbars & straps is called a logistics sleeve: an open square that slides over the load bar, with Etrack slots on each side. It allows you to secure straps to load bars, and even create a 'cage' of 4 bars around the load.
I don't think Lodi Metals has them [if memory serves, they did once, but a 'patent issue' stopped them from selling them], but they are available at New Haven Moving Company in Louisville, Ky [and other major cities] for $36.00 ea. They don't add much weight, but may be just what you needed, some day.
Also, I like the lighter load bars that have flexible rubber pads on each end, so they can angle, if needed. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but they are available at the Expo. In different lengths and colors, too, lol.
Because freight comes in all kinds of configurations, it's good to be prepared for whatever the shipper wants to send somewhere else.
:)

Thanks, Cheri. Pics always help 'splain things. I'm long-winded enough when I write; with no images, I'd be trying to explain and define even more.

The load bar sleeves with e-track on them sound great. I recall now seeing you mention them in past posts. Not sure though that I'd like the friction dependent load bars with rubber ends. I'd think, at least in a CV, they might tend to slip if a lot of sudden weight was thrust against them. Lighter would be nice, though.

Re: different colors available. Heh - in talking to Adam the Salesguy at Lodi on the phone when ordering, he asked "What color?" I thought he meant for the rubberized handles on the ratchet, and said "Uh, Shocking Pink would be nice." There was a long pause...I waited...then said "Oh, you mean the short straps? I don't care, maybe black!"

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have one of those bars. It's pneumatic I think. You position it and then work a handle that slowly pumps it out. When you deliver you press a button that lets the pressure off. I'd use it use it at the back side to keep freight from tipping backward. It didn't have to take nearly as high loads that way, usually none at all.