Those Blair Drivers

guido4475

Not a Member
And, come to think of it, I ran the numbers on Streets and trips.You're kidding me.You deadheaded 849 miles, to do a 1,378 mile load? That, itself, is insane.and not good business.Over 60% deadhead...Good God!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And, come to think of it, I ran the numbers on Streets and trips.You're kidding me.You deadheaded 849 miles, to do a 1,378 mile load? That, itself, is insane.and not good business.Over 60% deadhead...Good God!
Well, in a van, if the load paid $2500, the deadhead doesn't matter. I once deadheaded 900 for 700 loaded, but it paid a flat two grand. I also got plenty of sleep before and during the run.

I think most of it is bravado, hot air, a load of crap. But anyone who would drive from St Louis to North Charleston to Laredo with only fuel stops, and then two hours later from Laredo to Michigan is unsafe, unprofessional, and a danger to others on the road. If you need to do that in order to get bills paid, to put others at risk like that, you're a failure as a professional driver, and not very successful as a human being, either.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
See. Never believe a driver.

My apologies. I must have been thinking something else. I was in Birmingham, AL. The load was committed to and the truck that was supposed to pick it up went out of service. I was the closest driver. It was about a 465 mile deadhead. It's not a normal thing, but sometimes you do it. And I NEVER drive if I'm too tired. That's what rest areas are for. Just remember, a Direct Delivery is at 45 - 50 mph. That leaves plenty of time for sleeping.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Direct Delivery may be 45-50 MPH, but "non-stop" is what it is.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok. Ok. My use of non-stop meant 45-50 mph. I have to be so careful how I word things here.

Why would you have to stoop so low as to say I am a failure as a human being? That's pretty low, Turtle. How about we start saying things like that about you?

As usual, an informative thread has now become a name-calling thread. Go EO!!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I think most of it is bravado, hot air, a load of crap. But anyone who would drive from St Louis to North Charleston to Laredo with only fuel stops, and then two hours later from Laredo to Michigan is unsafe, unprofessional, and a danger to others on the road. If you need to do that in order to get bills paid, to put others at risk like that, you're a failure as a professional driver, and not very successful as a human being, either.
I was in a straight truck at this time. We were on a load to.SC. I drove as far as Pioneer, TN, where I started feeling sick and he took over. Not long after, I'm practicing for the Olympic cookie toss competition. He delivered in SC, where he had a few hours sleep while I was dealing with everything inside my.body seemingly wanting to be on the outside. A few hours later, we had a short run to NC, followed by a pickup in GA going direct to Laredo. He drove it all. Spent a night in Laredo, got a direct to Detroit. He drove it. Had a few hours for him to sleep, and he drove us back to Illinois for days off and so I could see the doctor. He drove everything after Pioneer, TN. I kept telling him to pull over and grab a nap if he needed to, but he wanted to keep going. Men like that are hard to come by.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok. Ok. My use of non-stop meant 45-50 mph. I have to be so careful how I word things here.
You should also be careful how you read, it seems. For example...

Why would you have to stoop so low as to say I am a failure as a human being? That's pretty low, Turtle. How about we start saying things like that about you?
For one, I didn't stoop. Two, I didn't say you were a failure as a human being, unless you did, in fact, "drive from St Louis to North Charleston to Laredo with only fuel stops, and then two hours later from Laredo to Michigan, [non-stop, except for the two hours, in order to pay bills]" which is what you said you did. If you did that, my statement stands. If you did not do that, then you don''t qualify for the "But anyone who would..." part.

You set the stage with the parameters, and I commented about those parameters. Now you say you were misquoted or something and are changing the parameters. If so, then my comments would be very different. So yes, you really should be a little more careful how you word things, especially when they are worded completely different from what you want people to believe.

As usual, an informative thread has now become a name-calling thread. Go EO!!
And as usual, people see name-calling where it doesn't exist.

On another note, now I know what airlines mean when they say New York to LA non-stop. All these years I thought I meant they didn't stop. Now I know it's simply a reference to speed and has nothing to do with how many stops they make along the way. Those sneaky airlines people.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When i was with Blair i cannot recall one load i did not have time to sleep on. It was really no different in that respect than my current carrier. I even remember two times i picked in Indy to cali both trips i had two nights sleep on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
I was in a straight truck at this time. We were on a load to.SC. I drove as far as Pioneer, TN, where I started feeling sick and he took over. Not long after, I'm practicing for the Olympic cookie toss competition. He delivered in SC, where he had a few hours sleep while I was dealing with everything inside my.body seemingly wanting to be on the outside. A few hours later, we had a short run to NC, followed by a pickup in GA going direct to Laredo. He drove it all. Spent a night in Laredo, got a direct to Detroit. He drove it. Had a few hours for him to sleep, and he drove us back to Illinois for days off and so I could see the doctor. He drove everything after Pioneer, TN. I kept telling him to pull over and grab a nap if he needed to, but he wanted to keep going. Men like that are hard to come by.

Olympic cookie toss competition....That wording is funny....however, you being that sick is not.Glad to see you are alright.It is obvious you're husband wanted to get you home, and the cards fell that way.True love at it's finest.I see it as different circumstances.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Olympic cookie toss competition....That wording is funny....however, you being that sick is not.Glad to see you are alright.It is obvious you're husband wanted to get you home, and the cards fell that way.True love at it's finest.I see it as different circumstances.

People who read my posts can tell you how funny it is for you to refer to my former co-driver as my husband.

biggballer70

Active Expediter
I ran for A. Blair Enterprises so here's some info for you . You are told in orientation that you will make .50 a mile plus fuel surcharge , well you make .45 a mile loaded plus surcharge . If you deadhead to a load you the driver pay for the first 150 miles to get there after that company pays you .20 a mile to get the load . If they EMPTY move you then its every mile paid to you at .20 a mile . You are also told that if the temperature is above 74 F or below 40 F then you can get a motel 6 room , so there is no idling the van , this is not the case as I was stuck in over 105 F temps and told that since at 4am the next morning it was going to drop down to 70 F that I was not going to be able to get a room . . . . this was at 11:00 am and I slept during the day and drove at night so I had to sit in heat and not sleep . The person running the operations at the office has no concept that we all do not run during daylight hours and as such will be needing either the motel 6 rooms or let the van idle to run air/heat . Where pay is concerned you will only make on average per week after fuel and other necessities running 4000 miles $650.00 that is if you have paid all of the $1500.00 escrow to them . You are also charged $17.50 a week for their GPS to see where that van is at all times , these are of no help to you as a driver . There is also NO DETENTION PAY with them at all . Once out with them you might get lucky and get to drive by the house after a few weeks out because if you are close to home and even think that you will be home for the 5 days that the operations manager tells you that you can take in orientation because after all its your money , then you will get a big surprise when he tells you you can go home for the next day but be ready to go out the day after . It is 100% forced dispatch . Just try and say no to a load and see what happens , maybe you will sit for seven days waiting for another or be told that they will just empty move you back to Prospect , KY so a driver who will not turn down a load can get in it . In short you ARE just a NUMBER to them .

If you want to be at a company that has no respect for you as the driver , the face of the company , the one who meets with the customers and puts the name out there , while the company who makes about a 75% profit on all loads while you only make 25% then this is the company for you . You pay for FUEL , GPS (NO HELP TO YOU AT ALL) , TAXES , & all the time that you will be sitting waiting for another load ( which at times is 3-4 days of sitting ).

*UPDATE 10/01/2012*

ABLAIRJOBPOSTING.jpg <------- HERE IS A JOB POSTING FOR THEM

Attachments

• 31a7584.png
    31a7584.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran for A. Blair Enterprises so here's some info for you . You are told in orientation that you will make .50 a mile plus fuel surcharge , well you make .45 a mile loaded plus surcharge . If you deadhead to a load you the driver pay for the first 150 miles to get there after that company pays you .20 a mile to get the load . If they EMPTY move you then its every mile paid to you at .20 a mile . You are also told that if the temperature is above 74 F or below 40 F then you can get a motel 6 room , so there is no idling the van , this is not the case as I was stuck in over 105 F temps and told that since at 4am the next morning it was going to drop down to 70 F that I was not going to be able to get a room . . . . this was at 11:00 am and I slept during the day and drove at night so I had to sit in heat and not sleep . The person running the operations at the office has no concept that we all do not run during daylight hours and as such will be needing either the motel 6 rooms or let the van idle to run air/heat . Where pay is concerned you will only make on average per week after fuel and other necessities running 4000 miles $650.00 that is if you have paid all of the $1500.00 escrow to them . You are also charged $17.50 a week for their GPS to see where that van is at all times , these are of no help to you as a driver . There is also NO DETENTION PAY with them at all . Once out with them you might get lucky and get to drive by the house after a few weeks out because if you are close to home and even think that you will be home for the 5 days that the operations manager tells you that you can take in orientation because after all its your money , then you will get a big surprise when he tells you you can go home for the next day but be ready to go out the day after . It is 100% forced dispatch . Just try and say no to a load and see what happens , maybe you will sit for seven days waiting for another or be told that they will just empty move you back to Prospect , KY so a driver who will not turn down a load can get in it . In short you ARE just a NUMBER to them .

If you want to be at a company that has no respect for you as the driver , the face of the company , the one who meets with the customers and puts the name out there , while the company who makes about a 75% profit on all loads while you only make 25% then this is the company for you . You pay for FUEL , GPS (NO HELP TO YOU AT ALL) , TAXES , & all the time that you will be sitting waiting for another load ( which at times is 3-4 days of sitting ).
....Thank you for the lowdown.....now members can judge for themselves....

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since it is negative its the truth?

Sent from my Fisher Price X900 via EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

.....I would have responded the same had he been positive.

Actually let me change that to something generic...

darn members that demand perfection on 1 coffee...LOL

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
.....I would have responded the same had he been positive.

Actually let me change that to something generic...

darn members that demand perfection on 1 coffee...LOL

Should have gotten a large. :p

Giant-Coffee-Cup-resized-600.jpg

biggballer70

Active Expediter

I wish I could have said a positive about A. Blair , but there is nothing positive I can say for a company who has no respect at all for its driving force and where the operations manager has a GOD complex . Drove class A OTR for 16 yrs and never had felt like I did with this " company" .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know that it was ALL negative. Seemed like a relatively honest accounting.

I will say that the GPS tracking being of no value to a driver is probably a little shortsighted. Knowing your location enables the carrier to find you loads.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
GPS tracking also makes it easier and faster for a company to get a driver help if they know where they are.