Those Blair Drivers

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
So its been awhile since I talked to a Blair driver, but my friends just recently talked to lady that drives for them and she said she got 7000 miles in 2 weeks at about 65 cents a mile. **** she pays her own fuel. That's a lot of driving imho. Anyone got the scoop on Blair. If they are not posting in here, they probably don't have time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sounds about right, confirmed several times by other drivers there. Maybe not that many miles routinely, but almost. That owner feels that anyone can make a good profit at 65 cents a mile, as long as you drive enough miles.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
IF that is driving ABlair's Sprinter and furnishing the fuel, it's good money. If it involves furnishing fuel for a straight truck...or furnishing your own vehicle of any size...then it gets cheap, dirt cheap or stupidly cheap...depending.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
there is usually a waiting line to get on,,driver pays fuel the last i heard , Blair owns sprinters

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
there is usually a waiting line to get on,,driver pays fuel the last i heard , Blair owns sprinters
If the fuel is the only expense for the driver, then 65 cpm is pretty good money for driving a Sprinter. Even with some idling (which can't be good for the Sprinter), they are probably under 25cpm for fuel cost and pocketing 40cpm. I'm not interested in having a boss, but otherwise, I would take it in a heartbeat over owning my own rig...especially if they get consistent miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the fuel is the only expense for the driver, then 65 cpm is pretty good money for driving a Sprinter. Even with some idling (which can't be good for the Sprinter), they are probably under 25cpm for fuel cost and pocketing 40cpm. I'm not interested in having a boss, but otherwise, I would take it in a heartbeat over owning my own rig...especially if they get consistent miles.

yep, that is about OTR rate......of course any DH will eat into that 40 cpm....

I'll throw out an "I heard"...company drivers aren't allowed to turn down loads....

even if them sprinters only get 18 mpg @ 4.00 a gal....that is about .22 per mile

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

I'll throw out an "I heard"...company drivers aren't allowed to turn down loads....

even if them sprinters only get 18 mpg @ 4.00 a gal....that is about .22 per mile

22cpm is not far off from a newbie in a t/t out of trkdriving school, but at least your not dragging around an 18 wheeler and all the logging stuff.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

I didn't consider the deadhead, but your right. It would eat into that, although I remember Ablair claiming very little deadhead...I guess they all do that though?

A lot of company drivers are not allowed to turn down loads. The flatbed co. I drove for, that was one of the first things they told us. "If you turn down a load, bring us the keys". One of the main reasons I'm not interested in driving for anybody but me. Whether I'm going to use it or not, I still like my freedom.

I was definitely shooting the high side of the fuel cost. Of course, those forgotten (by me) deadhead miles are going to effect that number too. All in all, it doesn't sound like a bad deal for driving a Sprinter. If I were looking, they would get a phone call.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me having to take an 1800 mile load and being expected to run it almost direct would be a deal breaker.....but I honestly don't know their operating side....maybe they get extra time maybe not..not going to knock what I don't know.....Xiggi drove for them but he drove for an owner not Blair...
He made out good as long as the wheels were turning...

guido4475

Not a Member
For me having to take an 1800 mile load and being expected to run it almost direct would be a deal breaker.....but I honestly don't know their operating side....maybe they get extra time maybe not..not going to knock what I don't know.....Xiggi drove for them but he drove for an owner not Blair...
He made out good as long as the wheels were turning...

I think, just my opinion, that they are considered a "Commodity" and the company is only interested in volume.Most of the time, when I have talked to one of those drivers, they astound me with how many miles they run.Well, ya, bid cheaper rates on loads and let's just see what happens..Who said it's not how much you run, but how much you run for?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It seems like a H/W team could do very well for themselves there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think, just my opinion, that they are considered a "Commodity" and the company is only interested in volume.Most of the time, when I have talked to one of those drivers, they astound me with how many miles they run.Well, ya, bid cheaper rates on loads and let's just see what happens..Who said it's not how much you run, but how much you run for?
But, that's kinda my point. If the pay quoted earlier is correct, the driver is being paid well enough. If Ablair wants to put cheap freight on the van and keep me running good miles at a good driver pay...not a problem for me (if I were the driver...only).

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless there has been a drastic change they are not getting 65 cents. They can get a lot of miles on average.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Unless there has been a drastic change they are not getting 65 cents. They can get a lot of miles on average.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Thats the post I was waiting for....lol. I thought 65 cents sounded a little high. From the rates they quoted me once to lease my straight truck, I wouldnt be surprised if .65 isnt what their paying Sprinter o/o's.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You know what they say. Never believe what a driver tells you. Unless you owned your own Sprinter, you wouldn't be getting $ .65 a mile at Blair. It's $.45 a mile plus a small FSC. Can you drive 7,000 miles in two weeks? Sure. I've done it. But with freight the way it is right now I wouldn't believe that claim, either. I made lots of money with Blair and I ran my butt off often. It's perfectly legal as the Sprinter's are not DOT regulated with HOS. Maybe you all don't like that, but I would gladly take a 2,000 mile Direct Delivery load. How hard is that?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You know what they say. Never believe what a driver tells you. Unless you owned your own Sprinter, you wouldn't be getting $ .65 a mile at Blair. It's $.45 a mile plus a small FSC. Can you drive 7,000 miles in two weeks? Sure. I've done it. But with freight the way it is right now I wouldn't believe that claim, either. I made lots of money with Blair and I ran my butt off often. It's perfectly legal as the Sprinter's are not DOT regulated with HOS. Maybe you all don't like that, but I would gladly take a 2,000 mile Direct Delivery load. How hard is that?
2000 miles deliver direct? Hard? Not for a team. For a solo, it's insane.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Depends on how hungry you are. I deadheaded from St. Louis, MO to N. Charleston, SC. Picked up at Bosch and delivered in Laredo, non-stop. 2 hours later I picked up in Laredo to Michigan. Yes. I was tired when I finished but think of all the bills I paid when I got paid 5 days later. It's not for everyone and one has to be a bit insane. So be it.

guido4475

Not a Member
I agree with Turtle.Insane.And purely stupid. As well.I used to do that, and even did 5,000 miles in one week.What did I gain by doing that? Absolutely nothing. 4 days off to let the logbook catch up, and catch up on sleep.Thank God I didnt fall asleep and kill someone.Bills getting paid? I can see it.Sorry, Mrs.Smith for me running into you, and killing you're son, Billie, but I had bills to pay.Work smarter, not harder.Get paid what you deserve.