No Forced Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie4477

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know of any companies that are actually no forced dispatch? I was told to leave by Load 1 ..which was supposed to be no forced dispatch in the past week for turning down loads. I was never late with a pick up or delivery nor did I have any cargo claims in the 9 months I was there. I also stayed inservice at least 90% of the time.Their ad to lure drivers and owner op's claim no forced dispatch...but if you turn down a load you are informed you'll be written up and then u're dropped to the bottom of the load board...I'm just an po ole unedumacated truck driver...but that seems like forced dispatch to me!
I know landstar is one...but I haven't found any others yet. I've been with Tri State when I first started expediting back in 2000 so I know about them.Anybody have any ideas?

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
Panther was the Chief Offenders in this Category! I can Practically Write a Book on the Number of Times Panther Put Me Out of Service for Turning Down Garbage Loads!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If any company went completly on drivers saying no whenever they wanted it would only mean they would have to sign in more trucks then everyone would get less miles. Never heard of load one writing anyone up for turning down a load. Drop to the bottom of the list yea maybe once in a while but that really effects us nowhere but Taylor. Dispatchers do need to take care of customers and as much as I dislike it they need some tools to help them accomplish that. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Well this is going to be an interesting thread. Should take very little time till the Load 1 cheer leading squad is here telling charlie how it was all his fault for being told to leave, that there is no forced dispatch and all the loads pay great so why would charlie even turn one down.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no such thing as no forced dispach in this business when you work for somone else they call you haul or your unemployed. Good luck with finding annother carrier most on this site know I am pro own authority because it gives you some extra leverage so you are not totaly dependant on the carrier for work. You can find your own customers, trade with other carriers, and have open contracts that allow you to be Non Exclusive. Just remember with your own authority, that they do see you as competition and verry important honor the non compepte clause in your contracts. most companies are at least six months to 1 year.

Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited:

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Well this is going to be an interesting thread. Should take very little time till the Load 1 cheer leading squad is here telling charlie how it was all his fault for being told to leave, that there is no forced dispatch and all the loads pay great so why would charlie even turn one down.

I agree, Rod. I'll get the popcorn.

Well I am far from being a cheerleader for any company, I do take great pride in the company my fleet is leased on with. I often call it like I see it. I'm not always right the way I see things but anyone that knows me well enough, knows I certainly don't surgar coat my feelings on anything, John Elliot can confirm this.....:)

With that said, obviously there are always two sides to every story. I would like to hear the whole story from both sides. This story seems to be lacking some hard facts.

To the original poster:
1. How many turn downs did you have in the 9 months you were here?
2. What was your reasoning for turning down loads?
3. What type of unit were you driving?
4. Do you own said unit?
5. Who "told you to leave"?

Every carrier is out here to make money as are we. There has to be a "fit" between carrier and contractor in order for the realtionship to work. It's been said before by others and I will say it again. Load 1 is a great carrier and I personally would not be anywhere else, but their business plan just does not fit everyone's business plan for a variety of reasons. If the partnership is not there to work together, both parties will be unhappy and the relationship will end with no good outcome for all involved.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotta agree on that too, Just like any relationship if the chemestry is missing it wont work, and saying no too many times will cost you.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Charlie, wake up! Yeah, Charlie, you sleepy head, wake up! Hey Charlieeeee, what you are hoping to find is Candy Mountain Express. Yeah Charlieee, Candy Mountain Express where all the trucks are fueled by magic and the dispatchers will load you whenever and to wherever you want to go. When you get to Candy Mountain Express, Charlieee, hang on to your freaking kidney!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Charlie, wake up! Yeah, Charlie, you sleepy head, wake up! Hey Charlieeeee, what you are hoping to find is Candy Mountain Express. Yeah Charlieee, Candy Mountain Express where all the trucks are fueled by magic and the dispatchers will load you whenever and to wherever you want to go. When you get to Candy Mountain Express, Charlieee, hang on to your freaking kidney!

Did you have to burst my bubble this early in the morning? Going inside to get some candy. :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Can you get put to the bottom of the board for turning down a load? only if it is over 200 miles...and that for the most part as was said only affect you if you are in Taylor..I mean how many times have you sat anywhere where being moved to the bottom of the board other then Taylor took you to what #2....LOL...

As for turning loads down and getting written up, so what...I turned down a run 2 weeks ago...the next week I made more money then i have all yr...Yea do it enough and they wil just not call you..keep it up when they do, and i am sure that they will tell you to take a walk..Id be willing to bet ALL carriers would do the same thing...on and written up, yea that happens, you can see it on the bottom of the Fleet Vison screen.....

But i do have to ask, why did you turn soo many runs down?? I mean all our runs pay great!!! :D

Oh and as far as bein a "cheerleader"...you bet!! Its all about enjoying where you are contracted and the conditions you work under and the money you make, and I'll compare all of those with anyone out there....As was stated, not every carrier is for everyone, Load 1 works for more then a few of us..I figure thats why there is a waiting list to get on with them and take a look at who those waiting are and where they are coming from....:D

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you get put to the bottom of the board for turning down a load? only if it is over 200 miles..

Sorry but thats not entirely factual. The two hundred mile rule only affects the Taylor area and only.if your one of the top few spots in line. You can be 6th out in Taylor refuse a load and be dropped.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sorry but thats not entirely factual. The two hundred mile rule only affects the Taylor area and only.if your one of the top few spits in line. You can be 6th out in Taylor refuse a load and be dropped.

Yes that is only in Taylor, I should have said that..but the fact remains, that if you are not in Taylor and turn down a load and get dropped to the bottom, just how far are you going to go?? to # 2, maybe #3....LOL....and even then, there are too many other factors that go into you getting the next load that board position is just one of them...

As Shadow said, there is more to this then we know and as you xiggi said, i haven't heard of anyone being told to leave because on turn downs, but, that being said, it all depends on the number of turndowns....

By the way, to the OP, what do you drive???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Actually anyone who has followed Load 1 will know we DO have forced dispatch....there are no surprises here....
any load over 200 miles ....you'll get a turndown against you (i guess that is where the write up is) and dropped to the bottom of list...
under 200 no penalty....

don't burn the popcorn.....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry Xiggi...
The 200 mile rule applies everywhere...
In El Paso I turned one down and was dropped to #2 the other truck took it...I was back to #1...good thing we don't have a lot of trucks like Panther....LOL

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Xiggi...
The 200 mile rule applies everywhere...
In El Paso I turned one down and was dropped to #2 the other truck took it...I was back to #1...good thing we don't have a lot of trucks like Panther....LOL

I don't think Xiggi meant it didn't apply to elsewhere, just that it was really only going to affect you in Taylor...As you said, "you turned it a load down while in Texas and were dropped to the bottom, #2..LOL..then the #1 guy took it..LOL..yea that hurt...LOL...:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ever read what the Load 1 Driver's Handbook says about turning down loads? It'll scare the begeezus out of ya. It's waaaay different from what they tell you in orientation.

I think part of the problem is our first-posting friend came from a carrier where everything between dispatch and driver are set up to be adversarial and confrontational, which is most carriers, and he hasn't realized (even after 9 months) that it's truly not like that at Load 1. At Load 1, the dispatchers and the drivers are more or less on the same page with the same goals. The other problem that some may not understand is, with the exception of Greater Taylor, Load 1 doesn't just book loads and then try to get them covered like some carriers will, they look for and book loads for individual trucks, so any loads you get were booked specifically for you. If you turn those down, you put dispatch in the position of having to call the customer back and say they can't cover the load. That's not good.

Despite the "...all our runs pay great!!!" load of crap, because not all of them do, the pay on the loads do average out to be quite good, and dispatchers will often bump up the pay on some loads to make up for one or more low paying runs. But they won't do that if you are forever turning down loads. Load 1 is not a carrier where Cherry Picking works. I've hauled some really crappy paying loads at Load 1, and some that paid extraordinarily well. Since I've been at Load 1, my pay for all-miles is greater than my pay for loaded-miles was at my previous carrier, by a wide margin. That didn't happen because I turn down a lot of loads. I haven't turned any down yet.

I can think of very few reasons to turn down loads at Load 1. I'd be interested in the reason for doing so, especially since pay can't be one of them, as we never (or rarely) know what the pay is when we're offered the load.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
FedEx never forced us to take a load or penalized us for turn downs. I think we turned down more than 25 in one day.
Landstar does not penalize us for turn downs. But since we are working with agents, we know if we turn down too many they will just quit calling us.

Does anyone know of any companies that are actually no forced dispatch? I was told to leave by Load 1 ..which was supposed to be no forced dispatch in the past week for turning down loads. I was never late with a pick up or delivery nor did I have any cargo claims in the 9 months I was there. I also stayed inservice at least 90% of the time.Their ad to lure drivers and owner op's claim no forced dispatch...but if you turn down a load you are informed you'll be written up and then u're dropped to the bottom of the load board...I'm just an po ole unedumacated truck driver...but that seems like forced dispatch to me!
I know landstar is one...but I haven't found any others yet. I've been with Tri State when I first started expediting back in 2000 so I know about them.Anybody have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.