Westmicher's New XLT 10 Project Begins!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you were spending 200-300% premium that might be an issue, at least to some people. Spending 10-15% extra to be truly happy isn't a bad idea.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If the setup works out and you have the turnkey setup in the low $40's, I wouldnt consider it overpriced. The final product, the payload and the fuel mileage will determine the success. That price tag is not out of line for what your building...imo.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What Rocketman said...if you are going to be out here, then you need to be comfortable and make life as easy as you can...You have the chance to do it from scratch the way you want it to me...To a bit of a lesser extent, I did the same...I am really looking forward to following your buildout..and you never know...:D...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mitch, are you planning any engine mods for economy? I've never thought of Ford engines to be particularly efficient. Air box or ECM mods?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'll look at chip and/or air box changes later. I have several very good Ford mechanics as friends, so they will advise me as we go. Right now the strategy is the lightest weight possible and the lowest drag / frontal area possible. I don't believe the 5.4 is a very efficient engine but it is what I had to work with. However, the straight through exhaust is actually much quieter than my race Mustang ... LOL!

I have high hopes for good MPG but we'll only know that after it is all done.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The research I've done boils down to intake, exhaust, ecm tune. Sounds like you have the exhaust done already. The intake may be as simple as dropping in a different filter.

If I remember correctly, Jack Berry was getting around 16 mpg with his hcv and I think it had the 5.4? If that's the case, you should get that or better with a few mods. 16 is what I consider to be break even with a new sprinter when comparing fuel cost.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would be interested in information on an airbox change and ECM tune, if you guys have some?

The K&N replacement oiled filter might give you close to 1 mpg (Rocketman just added one I used to use one). The kit where you remove your airbox and have a conical style filter would be the way to go but I don't know if it's offered for vans. ECM tuners seem to concentrate on horsepower, it'd be nice to see one for MPG.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
scottm wrote:

ECM tuners seem to concentrate on horsepower, it'd be nice to see one for MPG.

depends on the tuner...most "factory" setups run the motor at 14to1 air fuel ratio...when you data log driving and send the download info to a good tuner, he will adjust the AFR to a leaner, but still safe setting, he will adjust the Fuel Management System (cutting out cylinads at highway speeds) if your vehicle is so equipped, they will also adjust shift points and eractic up and down shifting...all of those will increase mileage...

The tuner I am looking at (Thanks Rocketman) will provide 4 different tunes for whatever application you want, hp, towing, gas mileage combination, and or the factory settings.....you own the Auto Cal tuner and can do upgrades when ever you feel the need....unfortunately, they don't do Fords...

Air Box changes for vans are really hard to find...i have yet to find one for the Chevy....

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The research Ive done tells me that most of the later model vehicles have a decent intake tube from the factory. Thats why I just dropped in a K&N filter. Dennis is correct, its pretty much impossible to find a complete intake kit for the vans. I think its a combination of small market plus a small engine compartment to work with. Most of this stuff is geared toward people wanting horsepower for spinning tires, so the work truck segment gets little attention.

I have seen significant mileage improvement from the K&N drop-in filter. But, on a windy day my mileage drops like a rock. My numbers have been so inconsistent as of late that I dont feel comfortable talking about them yet. At one time, I was convinced of 3/4 mpg just from the filter swap. Amazing, and scary to me, but that's what it was doing. Hopefully soon, I will be able to give a confident number. There are 3 or 4 of us trying the K&N filter right now, so good numbers should be coming soon.

I found a lot of info on a forum that was dedicated to gm trucks. I would be surprised if there isnt a forum just as informative for Ford owners. I would bet that there is someone out there doing Ford tunes just as well along with all the other mods.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If I remember correctly, someone offered a Cold Air Intake kit for the gm trucks (no fit for the van) that used a dry, high flow filter. If that company offered a drop in filter for the vans, that would be an option as well. The biggest complaint coming from K&N users seems to be oil issues with the MAF sensor. Its my understanding that this is an over-oiling issue.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a k&n in my 06 express 4.8 gave me .5 - .75 pg increase without question...slowing down is the cheapest and easiest..looking into a bully dog tuner...heard that can get you 2 mpg...
I just turned 500,000 on my van...@ an avg of 17 mpg that's 30,000 gallons of gas....if I could have avg. 19 mpg over that 1/2 million. Miles....that 2 mpg savings would have paid for the orginal cost of the van...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would suggest you do some research before buying the bully dog. I remember comments being very unfavorable, especially for bullydog. Most recommend a custom tune for your specific vehicle. The only handheld, out of the box tuner Ive seen recommended was the Diablo Predator. Even then, a custom tune has better reviews.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Report on Progress so far: We decided to build our truck within all the Federal & State regulations, along with Ford's instructions in their extensive Body Builder's Guide. In short, you can't believe all the stuff I had to study, including analysis of the center of gravity, braking distances, weight distribution, heat sheilds, electrical/lighting requirements, and a dozen more details that are like researching the New York City phone book . . . long and BORING.

However, we've extended the chassis and begun building the box frame. Because I'm actually cutting all the aluminum for our welder expert, I had to totally rebuild my chop saw and miter saw, but that's all done now too. Here's a few more pictures showing the chassis extension and front half of the box frame.

The remainder of the structural aluminum is shown as well. The good news is that, based on what we have so far, the entire box frame (without the skin & door) should come in @ 500 lbs. or maybe a bit less. This is better than we hoped and hopefully keeps us below our target weight of 6,000 lbs. empty.
Front Frame.jpgFrame Extension.jpgWeld Plates.jpgChassis Extended.jpgAluminum Stock.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
scottm wrote:

depends on the tuner...most "factory" setups run the motor at 14to1 air fuel ratio...when you data log driving and send the download info to a good tuner, he will adjust the AFR to a leaner, but still safe setting, he will adjust the Fuel Management System (cutting out cylinads at highway speeds) if your vehicle is so equipped, they will also adjust shift points and eractic up and down shifting...all of those will increase mileage...

The tuner I am looking at (Thanks Rocketman) will provide 4 different tunes for whatever application you want, hp, towing, gas mileage combination, and or the factory settings.....you own the Auto Cal tuner and can do upgrades when ever you feel the need....unfortunately, they don't do Fords...

Air Box changes for vans are really hard to find...i have yet to find one for the Chevy....

Fords don't need engine modifications.....They have plenty of raw power from the factory.....lol...just messin...had to say it...lol...I have to admit, it does run real strong..Spectre air filter, flowmaster, and no cat.Stinky exhaust,though...

the_hungaria

Active Expediter
nice build, will keep an eye on this. One question. Did you file for the separate zip code on that tail section? Looks really loooooonnggggg... lol
Keep up the good work.

guido4475

Not a Member
Our new truck has arrived! We've changed the wheels, tires, and exhaust to start. The new super-areo box is next. Our goals are no more than 6,000 lbs. empty with a 10,000 lb. GVW. Room for 4 skids plus a small kitchen area and a built in generator box in the side. She weighs 4,510 lbs. as she sits here.

I'd love to find out how much the wheels were, where you bought them, etc.I really can't wait to see this when it is done, it looks like youre doing it all right from the beginnning! Nice!