staying warm tips!

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Here is my cheap tip. Sleeping bag and the hot hands. You can buy a sleeping bag for about 30 , and hot hands are like 2 dollars a pack. You put two hot hands in side your sleeping bag to give off heat. And there you go your all set

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I am getting the $1000 installed snugger air heater. Basically a chinese espar and getting a $75 3 years square trade extended warranty. Some sapp bros carry these until then just sleeping natural with a blanket. Forget idling cost to much.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It isn't about sleeping, many can do that with a sleeping blanket but it is about getting up in the morning having everything frozen and you are too cold to get dressed that matters.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I'm living ...not camping....I use the big buddy LP heater....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Webasto/Espar...has to be one of the best inovations for the trucking masses. It is one of those things that once you have it you don't ever want to be without it. If you are cold with one of these units in your truck it is only because you want to be. Since having it in our truck I can only recall a couple of instances that there has ever been a call for it to be turned up past the halfway mark. The most recent was durring what we dubbed "snowmageddon" last winter, we were on a load that dropped outside Toronto. 402 was completely shut down and 401 was BARELY passable (one of the plow trucks was in the ditch along with a multitude of 4 wheelers), we pulled off the road at one of the rest areas to wait for first light before continuing. We were snugg as a bug with our webasto heating our sleeper needing nothing more than our comforter.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Shoot Greg, my brother and I used to go up north snowshoe rabbit hunting every Jan, many moons ago. We kept a small heater in the cab of my pick up to keep the water "soft". We had NO heater in the back where we slept, just GOOD sleeping bags and a big piece cardboard. Every morning we would wake up and toss the cardboard out onto the snow. We hoped onto the cardboard to get dressed. THEN we took out the food and water and made breakfast. NO wimps here! The secret was the BEST sleeping bags we could buy at the time. Today's GOOD sleeping bags are FAR better than what we had back then.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Thermal underwear, fleece sleepwear, 7 lbs if blankets which includes 2 sleeping bags and a wool blanket. Use a heater to heat the sleeping area before bedtime. Heavy thermal curtains between the cab and the bed. Tomorrow's clothes are tucked into bed with us to stay warm. Body heat. First thing in the morning, one of us reaches out from under the covers and turns the heater on for 15 minutes (aimed AWAY from the bedding, of course). Once livable, we emerge from the covers and dress. Also: those "hot seats" in WalMart's Sporting Goods Department for $3 make great pillows. Not too warm. And...if you have a nose piercing, swap the metal stud or ring for a plastic stud. Believe it or not, that little bit of metal transmits cold like you wouldn't believe...and I can't STAND my nose being cold!

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Insulated van, thermal window coverings. I've got a sleeping bag. I unzip it, lay there on top of the open bag, nekkid, and my nose and toes and everything else is warm and toasty no matter how cold it gets outside. Espar heater, baby!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Insulated van, thermal window coverings. I've got a sleeping bag. I unzip it, lay there on top of the open bag, nekkid, and my nose and toes and everything else is warm and toasty no matter how cold it gets outside. Espar heater, baby!

Turtle, does the insulated window coverings cut down on the condensation on the glass?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, does the insulated window coverings cut down on the condensation on the glass?
Not really. The thermal coverings are affixed to the glass with suction cups. In order to make any kind of significant impact on the condensation, the coverings would have to be sealed so that no moisture-laden air could flow to the windows and condensate on them. Obviously, where the suction cups are stuck to the glass, there is zero condensation. If anything, thermal window coverings increase condensation, same as drapes and curtains can in a home, because the free flow of warm air is restricted.

The only way to reduce condensation is to reduce the level of humidity in the van, which means an air vent (no different, really, than louvers in attic or basement crawl spaces). It doesn't have to be a forced-air vent, either. Moist air will always move to drier air (which is why moisture can work its way through concrete, wood, lots of things in the home). It's called "vapor pressure" and is independent of the airflow. Since the cold air outside is usually drier than the warmer air inside, simply opening the roof vent a little (1/3 or so) will often be enough to reduce the humidity level to cut down on the window condensation. If it's very humid inside, turning on the vent fan might be necessary for a while, but once the humidity has been reduced, you can shut the fan off or even close the vent if it's really cold out there.]

I generally have little problem with condensation, because I usually have the vent cracked a little. There might be a little down on the lower part of the windshield and side windows, but it's not anywhere near the amount that happens when I forget and leave the vent closed for an extended period of time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do NOT wear cotton in the winter. That includes cotton thermals, flannels, chamious etc. They hold moisture , which then evaporates. the human body cools by evaporation.

Turtle, that was a picture that I just did NOT need to see in my mind. :eek:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Insulated walls and ceiling, reflextic bubble foil insulation on the floor covered with plywood, then carpet in "my" area...insulated "curtain that seals to the walls, ceiling and floor..Maxx Air roof vent/fan and a big buddy heater...it gets too hot at time and i kick the sleeping bag off....

As for the condensation on the windshield, you need air movement..open the windows a few inches, open the roof vent..and i use to run a 12 volt fan directed at the windshield...I also do NOT put anything right against the windshield..my curtain that i use at night is hung from the top of the windshield and hangs down to the front edge of the dash...a good 10 inches from the windshield and that allows for air movement....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Just paid $300 idleing fine in Nj.With all the states going to the bio fuels,starting these trucks in the winter is going to get very costly

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
somewhere south of the equator, reclining on a loungechair with a tall cool one in my hand, and the sun reflecting off the cabana roof. Failing that thought our webasto bunk heater with a thermostat set at a decent temperature designed to keep a person humanely warm

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just paid $300 idleing fine in Nj.With all the states going to the bio fuels,starting these trucks in the winter is going to get very costly

Another page to tear out of my atlas. Where were you parked? Public or private property?