Fun with deputies

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
They've already proven it's more beneficial to them to have 1000 vans on the road when 375 would do the job. Get It.

Im just curious who has 1000 vans out there lol. Last count, Fed has around 350.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
In my county, I believe they can, Turtle. This specific question was brought up in school, and we were told that they were the only local LEO's (aside from MSP) that could. You have something different?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
On a side note, can a regular run-o-the-mill county deputy sheriff cite you for a DOT violation?

It varies from state to state and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It depends on the state and what cops are given what authority.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just to tell you, if you caused an accident and you didn't sleep with any proof of it, there are many lawyers out there who will either own you and your company or bleed you dry.

The choice may be yours but it is also the responsibility of you and your company.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In my county, I believe they can, Turtle. This specific question was brought up in school, and we were told that they were the only local LEO's (aside from MSP) that could. You have something different?
No, I don't have anything at all. Just curious. I figured it varied by state, and maybe by county even, but wasn't sure.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sorry straight truck doods and doodettes, the only way cargo vans will ever be regulated is if and when they pose an unreasonable risk to the public. And the statistics have to back that up.

Laws and regulations are passed all the time in the absence of supporting statistics and good science. Indeed, laws are sometimes passed in spite of supporting statistics and good science.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's very true. The "no cell phone at the gas pumps" is a perfect example. But in the case of the FMCSA, they really do have to have the stats to back something up, even if they have to make them up themselves.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Laws and regulations are passed all the time in the absence of supporting statistics and good science. Indeed, laws are sometimes passed to suppress supporting statistics and good science.

I agree with you Phil but I have to add that there is a money component that is missing with the vans that may be used to gather more money for the states - making sure that every driver has a CDL and has to follow the same regulations as we in the little big trucks follow to justify that CDL, maybe including logging.

What a great money maker for the states :)

moose

Veteran Expediter
, the only way cargo vans will ever be regulated is if and when they pose an unreasonable risk to the public. And the statistics have to back that up.

Statistic...What statistic, where wer'e going there's no need for statistic...

regulating news from just this past few days :

* ATA Leaders Express Concern with LaHood's Hours-of-Service Letter - Truckinginfo.com

*TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper

"The tripling was from one death in 2009 to three in 2010."

*Trucking Industry Wrong on Maine and Vermont 100,000 Pound... -- LISBON, Maine and ARLINGTON, Va., Oct. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Just tell us what it is you are trying to do, pay, and We'll makeup a study to support that claim.

,The only way cargo vans will ever be regulated is if and when someone who can benefits from those, spend enough money lobbying regulators, and makeup the needed statistic to back that up.:(

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Ok years ago I drove to Miami from Harrisburg Pa in Van delivery of air cargo(time sensitive fright. But did it in 18 hours, that was even with tinkle and snack breaks. and 4hours sleep. in georgia.
I know that it does not matter what you are driving, If you do not 'relax' it will not make you better driver, but a better hazard of the road.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, many tales about all the super truckers traveling for daze without stopping.
They know their body best.
They dont need nobody telling them what is best for them.
Well, it aint about you supertruckers.
Its about the casualities created when a supertrucker (CDL or not)
dozes off.
I hope it never happens to you.:cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hope it never does, either, but the fact is that it's the heavy vehicles which post an unreasonable risk to the public, not cargo vans. The accident rate, injury rate, and fatality rate for cargo vans is exactly the same as that of the general driving public, according to the DOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Unless or until that changes, no matter how jealous or resentful CMV drivers get, vans won't have to log.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Vehicle Type ......................Total ..............Percent
Passenger Cars ..................18350 ................40.4
Light Trucks ......................17902 ...............39.4
Large Trucks ......................3215 ..................7.1
Motorcycles ........................4595 ...............10.1
Buses ..................................221............... 0.5
Other/Unknown ...................1152................. 2.5
Total .................................45435 ...............100.0

Above are the stats from the NHTSA for the year 2009
for fatal accidents.

Yep, no reason to worry about the passenger cars and light trucks. They are only killing 10 to 1 more than large trucks.:cool:
I sure am jealous of those stats.

And you are right, light trucks and cars DO kill at the same rate.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
1st post you said you ran 1200 STRAIGHT THRU!!

I don't think I used those words with the deputy, but I implied it, and he inferred correctly because he was doing the math, said I'd have had to be running 120 to do it (notice he was calculating on 10 hours instead of 11).

But yes, I did stop at the Hook in the Quads for a nap.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Above are the stats from the NHTSA for the year 2009 for fatal accidents.
Heya Jake,

Youse might wanna check yer numbers there sport - they don't seem to jive with what the NHTSA is putting out for 2009 per the linked report (looks like you're about 12,000 on the high side per below):

Highlights of 2009 Motor Vehicle Crashes

Yep, no reason to worry about the passenger cars and light trucks. They are only killing 10 to 1 more than large trucks.
An honest broker would provide the respective numbers of each type of vehicle on the road (so that a relative comparison could be made)

Of course, the statistics that would really be relevant (commercially-driven light trucks vs. commercially driven big trucks) for this little chat aren't likely to be available.

And you are right, light trucks and cars DO kill at the same rate.
Inaccurate statement per the file I linked - although it's relatively close - something that's not terribly surprising given the number of pick'em up trucks in society.

BTW - tell Elwood we said hey ! :D

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My "worldview", eheheheh, cute.
My view is of a concerned father and friend.
So where does that place me? (Really dont care.) Oh now where does THAT put me.
Aw, anyway responsible driving is a requirement in society.
My post of : Maggie's Law" shows a law directed at those who drive fatigued.
Hey, why dont you pull the same asinine stunt in New Jersey.
Then maybe we all would see your fun.:D

Iirc, doesn't Maggie's Law merely say that if you hurt or kill someone because you are driving fatigued, that extra penalties apply? So if you drive fatigued and DON'T get in a wreck, you're golden, right? That's pretty much the same principle as in my fireworks analogy above: exercise your freedom, but if your freedom hurts someone else, be prepared to pay the price. That's how all of society should work.

That's where your worldview comes in. You might believe, like RLENT, Chef, and me, that people have rights and can exercise them as long as they don't harm others, or maybe you believe like the D12 and believe that people should be regulated. That determines how you view this and other issues.

And I DID point out that I took a nap; I just didn't tell the deputy that.