Fun with deputies

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Regarding limiting van drivers for safety reasons, carriers vary on their practices, do they not?
They do vary. Each carrier has their own policies.

Again, I have paid little attention to vans in the past, which is why I have to ask the question. Am I correct in believing that FedEx Custom Critical and Panther limit the drive time and distances that van drivers can cover in a certain time period?
You are correct, sir.

How widespread is the practice among other carriers that run vans?
It's hard for me to say with any certainty. I only know, for sure, of three (Panther, FedEx, Express-1). I would imagine that the larger (and/or the older) a carrier is, the more likely they are to have such policies in place. It depends on their experiences with cargo vans running long distances (accidents, late deliveries because the driver had to sleep, etc.) and on their ability to swap loads out to other vehicles in their fleet (availability of vehicles and availability of cross-dock locations).

Long before the buyout, Con-Way NOW had a policy for cargo vans. Con-Way NOW's policy was 750 miles, IIRC, but it was not a hard and fast rule. It was always "roughly" or "about", and there were many cases where much longer loads were allowed to go straight through. At Panther they had a policy that was equally not a hard and fast rule, right up until they had a couple of instances where near the end of long runs drivers got into accidents and fatalities were involved. The ensuing lawsuits resulted in much more rigidity in the rules.

Among the carriers that limit van operations and those that do not, what is the reasoning?
I think I've more or less answered that above, but the reasoning for limiting them is obvious, for safety, and I think the reasoning for not limiting them is as stated above, having no or very few bad experiences, and a lack of available vehicles and swap locations to Pony Express the freight over long distances. The more responsible drivers know their limitations and will more or less self-regulate themselves without having the carrier to impose the regulations. Smaller carriers can have a better gauge on which drivers are responsible and safe, and can more easily tailor loads to those drivers. The larger the carrier, the less likely the carrier is to be able to, or make the effort to differentiate between responsible and irresponsible drivers, so they create rules to cover all possibilities and to limit the risk.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I self-limit. In fact, I've said "no" to a couple of runs because the time given to do the run didn't allow for time for any necessary stops.

Beyond that, DOT laws or no, there simply comes a time when you're too tired to be safe. It's time to pull over at the first safe place and shut down. I won't get the freight there at all if I'm upside down and on fire in some ditch.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We "self-limit" as well. We often turn down loads that we would be "legal" to run if we feel we are too tired to run them.