You’re going to tow my truck where?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Stupidy abounds!

Fedex, (and in it's early years Roberts also) has a problem with adult solutions!

I was towed across the Ambassador Bridge out to Grand Rapids when I lost a tranny ....

See why I don't ever want to hear from them again ...

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Stupidy abounds!

Fedex, (and in it's early years Roberts also) has a problem with adult solutions!

I was towed across the Ambassador Bridge out to Grand Rapids when I lost a tranny ....

See why I don't ever want to hear from them again ...

LOL.....that's funny........NOW, then.....not so much!:p

charlies1gal

Seasoned Expediter
If all parties are fedex CC people,1 of the the LAZY Newbies could have logged into your C-link long enough to have delivered the load without any insurance problems, since were all insured by fedex CC & then logged back out after you were back at Wally World & to whoever it was that said this sounds like another carrier with the situation of the paying for the tow, I know full well to whom your referring to & you are so right! That being said, if ANY carrier is going to pay to tow me to a business for THEIR business purposses, they had better be prepared to pay the tow back, since it's THEIR screw up, NOT MINE!!!!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Solutions to screw-ups like this ought not come from drivers who, meaning well and trying to help, might produce creative work-arounds that put the burden on them and may strain legal limits.

Screw-ups like this should be prevented by untangling the dysfunctional web of corporate priorities, myopic dispatcher performance standards and pumped-up HOS rules interpretations that lead dispatchers to not only contemplate but actually formulate and try to implement truly crazy plans; like a plan to twice tow a perfectly running truck, and then drop it unannounced on private property, leaving the driver to explain to the Walmart manager, whose attention will be gained when the 40-foot truck is towed onto the lot by an even bigger truck, that FedEx policy prohibits him from moving the truck under its own power for 10 hours, and then sticking the driver with the bill for the tow to Walmart.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
In the interest of fairness I am the one who chose the Walmart as it was only 2.5 miles from the receiver and I only had 24 minutes left on my clock.
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The only ones driving this truck are my wife, myself and the owner of the shop in Florida that maintains it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the interest of fairness I am the one who chose the Walmart as it was only 2.5 miles from the receiver and I only had 24 minutes left on my clock.

It is still a Fedex mistake....they confirmed the delivery....the time left on your clock is irrelevant ...they owe you D-Time, 1 stop charge and a hand unload. I'd be jumping on your CC...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So..IF you had of broke down....and a roadside mechanic took it for a "test" drive...;).....how would anyone know the difference?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Solutions to screw-ups like this ought not come from drivers who, meaning well and trying to help, might produce creative work-arounds that put the burden on them and may strain legal limits.

Screw-ups like this should be prevented by untangling the dysfunctional web of corporate priorities, myopic dispatcher performance standards and pumped-up HOS rules interpretations that lead dispatchers to not only contemplate but actually formulate and try to implement truly crazy plans; like a plan to twice tow a perfectly running truck, and then drop it unannounced on private property, leaving the driver to explain to the Walmart manager, whose attention will be gained when the 40-foot truck is towed onto the lot by an even bigger truck, that FedEx policy prohibits him from moving the truck under its own power for 10 hours, and then sticking the driver with the bill for the tow to Walmart.

Wondering if we would have been reading a post like this 1 year ago?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I've never used the personal conveyance, but...could he not have waited to be unloaded, then logged personal conveyance from the reciever to a parking spot? He would have been empty at that point and not on duty.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've never used the personal conveyance, but...could he not have waited to be unloaded, then logged personal conveyance from the reciever to a parking spot? He would have been empty at that point and not on duty.

Nope. FedEx only allows you to use personal conveyance if you are not under a load and you have the legal hours to drive.
My 14 hour clock had run out, which means I could not move without violating HOS.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Nope. FedEx only allows you to use personal conveyance if you are not under a load and you have the legal hours to drive.
My 14 hour clock had run out, which means I could not move without violating HOS.

I wonder what the actual HOS regs say about it. I guess the Fed and I would have a problem if they imposed their own HOS regs over and above the actual regs.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
These are the types of problems many of us will have with EOBR's in solo driven trucks. There are a LOT of small little problems like this that will come out. It will be a nightmare until the bugs are worked out...IF they are worked out.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
These are the types of problems many of us will have with EOBR's in solo driven trucks. There are a LOT of small little problems like this that will come out. It will be a nightmare until the bugs are worked out...IF they are worked out.

My opinion as well.

jimmy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
After reading all of this, I have to ask why did you take a 569 loaded mile run in the first place without demanding that it was split?

I would have refused it, as I do refuse a lot of 500 plus mile straight through offers that I get because I want that two hours of latitude.

If I was to do this and ended up in the same situation ... and if I arrived at 2:20, and the guard said I can sit there, I would have parked in the dock where I was going to unload for 8 hours and then that would have been a split berth time to get me out of there come 10 am - with an unload time after 10 ;)

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
After reading all of this, I have to ask why did you take a 569 loaded mile run in the first place without demanding that it was split?

I would have refused it, as I do refuse a lot of 500 plus mile straight through offers that I get because I want that two hours of latitude.

If I was to do this and ended up in the same situation ... and if I arrived at 2:20, and the guard said I can sit there, I would have parked in the dock where I was going to unload for 8 hours and then that would have been a split berth time to get me out of there come 10 am - with an unload time after 10 ;)

The total run was 569 miles including DH.
The guard was very specific that they would unload me at 0600 and then I had to leave the property as they had no truck parking area.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If Fedex uses 47 mph..you should have never gotten that load... works out to 12.1 hours.....your over....they went around their own rules to get the job done...and they are anal when it comes to your advantage...duh