You’re going to tow my truck where?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
On Wednesday I was offered a load picking up in Kentucky and delivering in South Carolina, 569 total miles. I quickly accepted.
At 1352 I was sent a message, “Do not move, confirming ETA’s”
At 1414 I was sent another message, “It’s a go”. So I started my clock with a pretrip inspection.
I made the pick up on time and drove straight through. There was a traffic jam in Nashville so I had to make up some time. I arrived at the delivery at 0218, three minutes before the original scheduled ETA of 0221.
When I got there a security guard told me I could not deliver, come back at 0600. I can’t do that I told him as my clock runs out at 0414. He finally said I could stay on the property to make the delivery, but I could not stay there afterwards because they have no area for a truck to park.
I called dispatch and after about 45 minutes it was determined I would have to go to a nearby Walmart, do a 10 hour break and return at 1345 to make the delivery. I was sent a message with a new ETA of 1345. So, off to Walmart I go.
At 0815 I get a call wanting to know my exact location as they are sending a tow truck to take me back to the receiver. It turns out they wanted the freight at 0500. So, I explained that I would not have the hours to leave their property and I cannot stay on their property. I was told that the tow truck would take me back to Walmart, but I would have to pay them for the tow back. Fortunately the tow truck company called me and realized there truck was too small to tow me. A new plan was then hatched. Another truck was dispatched to take the load from me into the shipper. When the other truck arrived it was a two man team that had apparently just started. They watched in amazement as I used my pallet jack to transfer the freight, never once bothering to help. Off they went and back to sleep I went, so I thought. I get another call. “You need to go out of service as you have no hours left.” Fine I said, “put me out for 10 hours.” When I awoke later I did a status check and discovered she had put me out for 10 days.
I put myself back in service on Friday. Thursday was lost due to all this.
It’s amazing to do everything right and to still have the company try and penalize me by telling me I have to pay for the tow back. I received no detention pay or pay for loading the other truck.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Clearly I'm in a constant learning mode around here. That being said. Why could you have not ridden to the consignee with one of the two driving your truck. Made your delivery and gone back to Wal Mart?. Then sent them on their merry way.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The eobr would have shown me as the driver.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The eobr would have shown me as the driver.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

They could have kept you OOS and the other driver could have used the old paper log for that one time....?

Maybe something carriers should study if this ever comes up again....I am sure it will...

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
They could have kept you OOS and the other driver could have used the old paper log for that one time....?

Maybe something carriers should study if this ever comes up again....I am sure it will...

More questions, no answers. If he's always a solo then the clink has no one to work with other than him?? If that's so then anytime the truck moves, it's on him. He can't do the "45 minute" thing because he has no time.

More unintended consequences not thought of by the Fed??

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe that's right, Jim. That driver, I believe, could have logged into your QC with his/her driver ID and password, and driven your truck to the consignee and back to Wally World.

That being said, sorry. I'm not letting someone else drive my truck to rectify the carrier's mistake without compensation, or at all....especially with the lazy newbies they had come rescue you.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe that's right, Jim. That driver, I believe, could have logged into your QC with his/her driver ID and password, and driven your truck to the consignee and back to Wally World.

That being said, sorry. I'm not letting someone else drive my truck to rectify the carrier's mistake without compensation, or at all....especially with the lazy newbies they had come rescue you.

Agree with no one else driving our truck and reminding that if anyone else is IN the truck, let alone DRIVING the truck, you have to get an insurance waiver from the Fed.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Clearly I'm in a constant learning mode around here. That being said. Why could you have not ridden to the consignee with one of the two driving your truck. Made your delivery and gone back to Wal Mart?. Then sent them on their merry way.

That's a good question and another why a tow truck. I cannot find where you broke down. What's with the tow truck. This fed ex thing is wild.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The purpose of the tow truck was because I was out of hours and with an EOBR I can not move the truck without an HOS violation.
If I had been towed I wonder what would have happened when I started the truck and it was in a different location?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The purpose of the tow truck was because I was out of hours and with an EOBR I can not move the truck without an HOS violation.
If I had been towed I wonder what would have happened when I started the truck and it was in a different location?

You bring yet ANOTHER question! Sometimes the Hubs will go out solo if I have family business to take care of so he gets a small window into the problems with logging. Often we'll be sitting and waiting at a shipper and will wonder how a solo would be able to handle the run without his hours running out. Some of these have been LG loads that were notoriously running late. We haven't had many of those lately but it seems like they might have gotten their act together last time we had one.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
JJ, you don't go OOS, you do a status 88. Also when you transferred the load, did you have any hours for on duty then? The other truck should have completed the transfer with you handing them the key to the cargo box through the sleeper window/door. You should get your OOS removed (it counts against your performance). Status 88 allows the rest period until you get your hours back without penalty.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Wow..what a nutty situation....

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Agree with no one else driving our truck and reminding that if anyone else is IN the truck, let alone DRIVING the truck, you have to get an insurance waiver from the Fed.

That would matter if you insure your truck through them. We don't. No waiver needed.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Also when you transferred the load, did you have any hours for on duty then? .

HOS needed for driving.
after driving we can work as long as we wish.
we just needs to log it on duty, if it is a part of our job or we get pay for,
we just needs to log the needed break time before steerwheeling once more.
justmy2$

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
ilovemyvanilovemyvanilovemyvan

Got it but you could STILL get into these kind of problems and I'll tell ya how. If you were with FedEx (I don't know who you're with) and you broke down under load, if they have no one to rescue the load, they're going to want to tow you to either delivery or the closest place to transfer. After doing so, you will be left at that location, to call ANOTHER tow truck to take you where you need to go to get the van repaired. This is not an hours of service problem but it IS an inconvenience to you if they've moved you further away from your help. I'll give you some examples of what has happened to us over the past 10 years.

Early in our driving experience, we broke down fairly close to our delivery point. We were blessed? with the laziest tow truck driver you'd ever want, plus as I said above, FedEx only pays for their part of the tow.

This guy was too lazy to remove the drive shaft and tow the truck the correct way so he hooked on the back and away we went. We didn't know we could object, we were just trying to be good little FedExers.

Now, as well as taking a chance on damaging the truck by towing it like this, he also could not back us into the dock. He parked the truck several feet away from the dock which forced us to break down the pallets and deliver them to the dock doors.

To add insult to injury, it was VERY hot, our alternator had gone out so we had no juice to start the generator. He REFUSED to give us a jump so that we AND our dogs could at least have cool air while we were waiting on the next tow truck.

I have another one from another time when they wanted to take us someplace that wasn't going to work for us but I'll quit for now!!:rolleyes: