Health Insurance - FDCC

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,

I have done some searching of the forums and could not find any up to date info (2009 was the only one I could find) on the Health Insurance, that we were told, FDCC offered.

Is this true that FDCC offers a Health Insurance package...?
If so, is it expensive..?
Is it immediate coverage or is there a waiting period..?

We realise that we will be paying for all of it and if FDCC is going to be to expensive we would like to look into something locally.

I would to hear from any drivers out there who have this insurance and also any info anyone else can add would be greatly appreciated folks...:D

Last edited:

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
look into an insurance broker-they will research co. for you and their rates. FDCC does not have health ins for contractors-at least none that I know of-been here 12 years.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No one has or offers health insurance because that means you are an employee.

A few brokers deals with insurers but they can not take your money and pass it on.

Azcot

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies...

We were told by our 'owner-to-be' that we could get insurance through FDCC, perhaps they don't offer it directly, I don't know. Maybe they have some companies that they suggest...who knows but I guess our owner was mistaken.:(

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies...

We were told by our 'owner-to-be' that we could get insurance through FDCC, perhaps they don't offer it directly, I don't know. Maybe they have some companies that they suggest...who knows but I guess our owner was mistaken.:(

If your owner happens to be with Expediter Services, I believe they do have some health insurance option available - think it's through them rather than with FDCC.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe your owner was talking about truck insurance through FDCC? If your owner did say "health insurance" I would be sure to ask them again if they meant it was through FDCC. IF that is what they are saying I would suggest finding a new owner.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Ehealthinsurance.com

Don't be a stooge get an HSA compatible high deductable plan. Any thing else is a WASTE of money.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
HSA programs are wonderful. They give control of health care to those who have to pay for it. That is why they are likely going away.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I saw yesterday in Team Drivers and Women in Trucking (one of those little recruiting magazines that are distributed free at truck stops) a full page FedEx Custom Critical ad that reads in part:

"Discounts available for fuel, tires, vehicles and more - all from being affiliated with FedEx Custom Critical. We also offer access to health care coverage."

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I saw yesterday in Team Drivers and Women in Trucking (one of those little recruiting magazines that are distributed free at truck stops) a full page FedEx Custom Critical ad that reads in part:

"Discounts available for fuel, tires, vehicles and more - all from being affiliated with FedEx Custom Critical. We also offer access to health care coverage."

Nothing on the Extranet that I can find.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No one has or offers health insurance because that means you are an employee.

A few brokers deals with insurers but they can not take your money and pass it on.

Wrong.....Express 1 does...thru PDIP.....E-1 collects the money....there is Castastrophic health coverage as well as eye and dental....

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is a group plan that was talked about a long time ago and I have the link to the web site for FedEx Custom Critical contractors. I have not researched the insurance and have no clue how it works. I know that you can choose from a lot of different plans with a lot of different companies. You can also choose different deductibles which if course comes with a lot of different prices.

If you are a FCC contractor send me a PM and I will send you the link or call in and talk to your CC as I am sure they will give you the link as well.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I did not notice the FedEx Custom Critical statement, "We also offer access to health care coverage" in ads until yesterday when this thread prompted me to look.

They have been running that statement for a while. The same language appears in a FedEx Custom Critical add in an older edition of Expedite NOW.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they have such a program it is a shame that they are not making more available. Sounds like a call to contractor relations on Monday.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
FCC did make it very public when the program came out a few years ago and there were letters as well as other messages.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
FCC did make it very public when the program came out a few years ago and there were letters as well as other messages.

Diane and I were with FCC a few years ago and paid close attention to company correspondence. No such letters were received by us. No mention was made of a health insurance program in any company communications that we recall.

Checking our archives where our FCC fleet bulletins are stored, the only reference to health insurance comes on Dec. 19, 2008. It reads:

"Just a reminder that a mailing was sent in November to all U.S. owners' homes from Marsh ConsumerConnexions. This program allows you to compare rates from different insurance providers and purchase a health care plan that best suits you and your family.

You can go to the dedicated Web site at www.healthinsurance.com or call 800.923.4461. We encourage you to take a look and see the health care options available to you."

Is this is what FCC means by "access to health insurance?" If not, what does the statement mean?

(Anticipating the "Why do you care?" question, I care that new Open Forum members like Azcot receive good answers to legitimate questions.)

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do not recall ever receiving such a mailing. Then again, my memory is not what it used to be either. it is more that possible that I forgot that we ever received it. They did not mention such a program at either of the two orientations I have been to.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hi,

I have done some searching of the forums and could not find any up to date info (2009 was the only one I could find) on the Health Insurance, that we were told, FDCC offered.

Is this true that FDCC offers a Health Insurance package...?
If so, is it expensive..?
Is it immediate coverage or is there a waiting period..?

We realise that we will be paying for all of it and if FDCC is going to be to expensive we would like to look into something locally.

I would to hear from any drivers out there who have this insurance and also any info anyone else can add would be greatly appreciated folks...:D

We do not have this insurance so I have no working knowledge of how the insurance works. I hoped someone who has working knowledge of this insurance would reply.

I do not know what to say on why you do not remember this and it does not change the fact that it is available. Talk to your CC on Monday or the CR's as they can tell you more about the program since no one has stepped forward.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is becoming an interesting topic. I'd like to hear more about what Express-1 and any other carriers do regarding health insurance.

Diane and I are frequently apprpoached or contacted by people who are considering expediting as a career and the health insurance question is frequently asked. I know that some expediters go the HSA route. If carriers are offering other programs that expediters find worthy, I'd be interested to learn more.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do not know what to say on why you do not remember this and it does not change the fact that it is available.

We do not remember it because it did not happen that we were notified of any such program.

No letters were received by us from FedEx that talked about a health insurance program. No reference was ever made by the company to access to health insurance. Being interested in health insurance, we would have noticed if they had.

The Fleet Bulletin mentioned above talks about a mailing but that looks more like a piece of junk mail from a third party. Pointing contractors to a an unaffiliated web site does not count as "access to health insurance" or a health insurance program.

I may be wrong and maybe I really don't recall something that FedEX made "very public." But to believe that, I'll need to see the documents or messages then sent.

If you want to question my memory, I'll reply by questioning the facts. If a "very public" announcement or announcemts were made, a record would exist. Seeing no evidence yet, my memory remains accurate and the burden falls on you to prove that the program (or whatever it is) was publicly announced.

Don't bother. The present statement "access to health insurance" is more pertinent to new people. But don't question my memory again before you can provide evidence that I have it wrong. I choose my words very carefully in this Open Forum and I don't make stuff up. You don't get to escape the burden of proof by sloughing it off on my memory. You are the one saying the program was made "very public." It is your statement to prove.

More to the point, I'm interested in learning more about what FCC means by "access to health insurance" today for reasons stated here.

Last edited: