Two male marines kissing

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wonder what the training manual says about these same two marines sharing one bunk in the barracks? Not to mention what the procedure is should their coital calisthenics keep the rest of the troops awake at night.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think ALL barracks should be open. NO separate barracks for women either. No difference. Why should women have special treatment? That is getting OLD to say the least. What is good enough for straight men, gay men etc SHOULD be good enough for women too. Any bets THAT won't happen? Any bets that the women come up with a lot of valid reasons why it should not? Any bets that IF those reasons are valid for one group then they should be for all? NAW. The discrimination will continue.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think ALL barracks should be open. NO separate barracks for women either. No difference. Why should women have special treatment? That is getting OLD to say the least. What is good enough for straight men, gay men etc SHOULD be good enough for women too. Any bets THAT won't happen? Any bets that the women come up with a lot of valid reasons why it should not? Any bets that IF those reasons are valid for one group then they should be for all? NAW. The discrimination will continue.

I've got one word for you: pregnancy.

PS "The discrimination will continue" sounds a lot like how I felt when I had severe cramps every 28 days, and let's don't even talk about childbirth....

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Nope that's an excuse.

If the people who are there to take orders and defend our country can't control themselves, maybe the solution is to return to an all male military.

As for the marines kissing, well too bad there are bigger things to worry about right now.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

PS "The discrimination will continue" sounds a lot like how I felt when I had severe cramps every 28 days, and let's don't even talk about childbirth....

Pregnancy is NOT an issue. Personal responsibility is. Fair is fair. Either everyone has barracks where sexual attraction is NOT a problem or NO ONE does. Far too much special treatment for far too many people.

Cramps are not an issue either. A soldier has to be ready to fight, and die, 24/7, 365. A line soldier CANNOT go down for a week every 28 days.

Yes, there is a LOT of discrimination. Women don't have to meet the same physical standards as men in the military. Their standards are LOWER. No right. That makes them less able in combat. Women do NOT have to face the draft if it is ever put back on. NOT RIGHT. Either you want equality or not. Can't have it both ways.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pregnancy is NOT an issue. Personal responsibility is.

Pregnancy as a result of rape is a consequence that NO man need worry about, whether gay or straight. If all men were capable of personal responsibility, no woman would need to worry about it either.
Fair is fair. Either everyone has barracks where sexual attraction is NOT a problem or NO ONE does. Far too much special treatment for far too many people.

Cramps are not an issue either. A soldier has to be ready to fight, and die, 24/7, 365. A line soldier CANNOT go down for a week every 28 days.
Once again, you misunderstood: I referred to cramps and childbirth as things men will never experience, because life is not fair, or equal.

Yes, there is a LOT of discrimination. Women don't have to meet the same physical standards as men in the military. Their standards are LOWER. No right. That makes them less able in combat. Women do NOT have to face the draft if it is ever put back on. NOT RIGHT. Either you want equality or not. Can't have it both ways.
Women have physical differences that require different standards [less muscle mass, but faster reflexes, for one], but "less able in combat"?
I'll believe that when you can prove it, because so far, the military doesn't seem to think so.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are certain women who would physically meet the requirements imposed on combat soldiers. I've used this example before, saying some of the women's college basketball players I watched this afternoon would easily be up to the physical demands. However, these aren't average women - and the average woman recruit wouldn't be able to keep up with the combat troops in Afghanistan. For example - the gear carried by most of the troops can easily weigh over 100 lbs. The minimum would be the recommended 50 lbs, and even that would be a considerable burden for the average woman in the desert heat of Iraq or the thin atmosphere of the Afghan mountains. Most women in the military would be better placed in administrative or support positions.

Weight of Combat Gear Is Taking Toll - washingtonpost.com

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
According to the article, an awful lot of the men aren't up to the demands of the military, either. Not because they're inferior, but because the human body wasn't designed to do what modern 'jobs' require, causing injuries.
Seems really smart folks would have taken that into account, since repetitive motion and stress fracture injuries are well known - but common sense doesn't seem to be part of many jobs these days, including the military's.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Women have physical differences that require different standards [less muscle mass, but faster reflexes, for one], but "less able in combat"?
I'll believe that when you can prove it, because so far, the military doesn't seem to think so.

Of course I can prove it. Very few women will be able to pick up and carry a wounded buddy. The military is pushing for women in combat because of the political climate. No other reason. They may have faster reflexes, I don't know about that. Most women, given the proper training, can out shoot men as well. It is the lack of muscle mass that IS the problem. Soldiers in combat must know that the person in the foxhole next to them can do the job.

Same in firefighting. When I made an interior attack I had to KNOW that my back up on the hose could do the job.

Same thing when I worked at the steel mill on the track gang. VERY heavy work. Very few women could do it but they expected the job and the same pay.

Standards need to be set high. Then, anyone who meets them can do the job. Those who can't, don't. Women who cannot cut the mustard in the military can either stay behind the lines or get out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Pregnancy as a result of rape is a consequence that NO man need worry about, whether gay or straight. If all men were capable of personal responsibility, no woman would need to worry about it either.

Rape?

Seriously?

What part of this following statement don't you understand?

Women captured by the enemy are routinely raped.

I mean let's put this in the right context, we are talking about putting people in situations where they will become "victims" by our societies standards. If we are to believe that there are some issues with coed housing, it has to be with the fact that everyone is not up to a standard of self-control more than anything else. THIS is the problem we have in today's society, we have allowed our children to grow up that it is alright to do their own thing, which leads me to believe that many who join the military do it for reasons other than to defend the country.

IN a combat situation, especially with the enemies we are fighting or may be fighting in the future, they don't adhere to anything but their own culture and ignore western values. THIS can include people form Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

Once again, you misunderstood: I referred to cramps and childbirth as things men will never experience, because life is not fair, or equal.

Pain?

Try kidney stones.

Talk about something that equates to real pain; cramps are nothing compared to those stones. AND yes with what we eat and drink today, it is more often a problem than what others think.

Childbirth is a choice by the way.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Rape?

Seriously?

What part of this following statement don't you understand?

Women captured by the enemy are routinely raped.
A risk every woman soldier is aware of, same as injury and death - it can't be eliminated. Soldiers should not face such risks from their fellow soldiers, however. [Does 'Tailhook' sound familiar?]

I mean let's put this in the right context, we are talking about putting people in situations where they will become "victims" by our societies standards. If we are to believe that there are some issues with coed housing, it has to be with the fact that everyone is not up to a standard of self-control more than anything else. THIS is the problem we have in today's society, we have allowed our children to grow up that it is alright to do their own thing, which leads me to believe that many who join the military do it for reasons other than to defend the country.

IN a combat situation, especially with the enemies we are fighting or may be fighting in the future, they don't adhere to anything but their own culture and ignore western values. THIS can include people form Asia, Africa and the Middle East.

Pain?

Try kidney stones.
Pfft - try a kidney infection so severe that the kidney was within 12 hours of exploding from the pressure, when a drainage tube was surgically placed. Then have the kidney removed six months later, [because it's functioning at 2%], leaving a scar that circles half your body. That's pain.

Talk about something that equates to real pain; cramps are nothing compared to those stones. AND yes with what we eat and drink today, it is more often a problem than what others think.

Childbirth is a choice by the way.
Thankfully, yes, it is. Which doesn't lessen the labor pains one little bit. :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Want pain? Try gout. On a scale of 1 to 10 gout comes in at a solid 15! :eek:

Tailhook is NOT the norm. Crime is the exception to the norm. Rape is not the norm anywhere in the military.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
yea yea yea but look at it i delivered to a training center a few weeks back and i almost busted a gut when i herd the DI giving instructions to new recruit's and hearing then yell when i was in if we yelled that softly we'd be doing push ups all night lol