Detroit Layover

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope everyone is having a good Memorial Day weekend.

I seem to end up being moved to Detroit (Dearborn) a lot and have yet to find a place to layover that is any good. So far I have been stopping at the Detroiter but find it pretty crappy. Where do you folks stay if you need to be considered "in Detroit or Dearborn"?

cruzer

Not a Member
Don't know what your looking for but there is a WalMart and several restaurants, leave the Detroiter make a right at light go under the overpass it's on the right.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Detroiter is pretty crappy, and they no longer give you a $2 shower with any fuel purchase (used to be any amount, but now it's like 50 gallons or someting) but the people who work there are nice, and they have free Internet powered by OnTime Media. Yay!

And like Cruzer said, there's a Walmart close with lots of restaurants. The Chinese restaurant next to Quiznos and Kroger is pretty good, too. You can go 15 miles south to the TA or the Pilot, but they're busy, crowded and noisy. Other option is west of Ann Arbor to the TA or Pilot in Dexter. But for a weekend stay, I'll usually go to the Detroiter. No one will bother you, and there's stuff close by to do, places to eat.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a shame I am not home or you could stop by and stay there. You could go visit my dad if you like!!! I never have a problem there, I just stay at the house.

guido4475

Not a Member
Go out of the Detroiter and go east on West rd.There is a Meijer on the left,as well as so much other retail.I have never had a problem there staying overnight. And it is quiet.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Hope everyone is having a good Memorial Day weekend.

I seem to end up being moved to Detroit (Dearborn) a lot and have yet to find a place to layover that is any good. So far I have been stopping at the Detroiter but find it pretty crappy. Where do you folks stay if you need to be considered "in Detroit or Dearborn"?

We go to the rest area in Canton. It is the Detroit board. I-275 mm 23.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
actually i like the detroiter, i buy a lot of books there..the problem in a van is nooo parking..expeditor lot is full of cars that never move..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey P51bombay, I don't understand your nic. The P51 Mustang did not have a bombay. It carried it's ordinace on under-wing racks. LOL!!!! It did not look like an imported cat either!! :rolleyes: Sorry, could not resist. See pics of a Mustang below. I could not find a pic with one carrying a bomb load.

Attachments

• P51.jpg
    P51.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
actually i like the detroiter, i buy a lot of books there..the problem in a van is nooo parking..expeditor lot is full of cars that never move..
Most of those cars belong to truck drivers who leave their cars there when they're gone. But, if the expediter lot is full, you can park over in front of the restaurant, just be sure to park on the row away from the front of the restaurant, the one right by the drive lane to the scales or the pumps. You know.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Hey P51bombay, I don't understand your nic. The P51 Mustang did not have a bombay. It carried it's ordinace on under-wing racks. LOL!!!! It did not look like an imported cat either!! :rolleyes: Sorry, could not resist. See pics of a Mustang below. I could not find a pic with one carrying a bomb load.

And that is a real nice one, I think the only flying C model and done up in Tuskeegee airmen paint too. Nope, never had a bomb - bay but I have a Bombay, as in cats which despite their name are made in America..........no imports.

you must be bored. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You got that right!! Bored out of my mind!! It is a good picture. The weather has stopped me from fishing and there is NOTHING to do that is fun in the city. LOL! I don't do city well. Where did it come from originally? The smallest native North American cats are the bobcat and the lynx. All others are imports. I don't know the history of the one you picture.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Turtle, there are many local restaraunts in the area that are FAR better than those "Chain" places or grazing bars. Any time you need some suggestions give me a shout. I will put you on to a few.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Wow, you must REALLY be bored if you're looking into cat breed etymology - its a man made (woman actually) breed derived from (American style) Burmese and black American Shorthair. If you really wanna know have a look here.

The Bombay - Page 1

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You have no idea just how bored I am. Whew. Thanks for the info, more to keep me busy for a moment. LOL!! :D

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the tips everyone! The problem I run into is mother Fed has to see me within 25 miles of Dearborn. If I stay at the Pilot at Exit 18 for example, it puts me in the Toledo Exp Center, I need to be north of mile 25. I've never tried west of town, dunno if the Dexter stops would put me on Dearborn or not. I will try out the Meijer, wonder if the pumpkins free internet signal will make it over there;)?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just take a 70 mile ride up to the Petro in Perrysberg Ohio. I know it is a ways out, but the Petro has a nice movie room and a lot of movies for you to watch. Plus the Peteo parking lot there is one of the most quiet places that i've ever parked/slept. I used to stay there a lot when I was literally living on the road.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dexter is on other side of the 25.

I recommend you going down Ford Road into Canton around 275, there is a walmart just before 275 that you can stop at but I don't know if you can stay there overnight, you may across the street. The other thing is that it puts into the center of canton and there are a lot of things in that area. There is a truckstop about 8 miles or so from that area which may still be in the 25 mile radius for FedEx, off of 275 and exit 20. It is a lot better than the one in Dearborn.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be sure if you stay at Meijers check it out with the manager. Used to work at Meijers, they can fry you in a second. But, if you ask you should be good to go. Be sure your pushing a loaded cart, whether you buy it all or not appearances help!