So you wanna be an expediter?

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
You know, I hate to discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams, but if you're thinking about coming into the expediting business, now is probably the worst time most of us have ever seen.

It took a while longer than other areas of the economy, but it seems that the recession has finally caught up with us too.

Stop, Learn, Investigate, and Wait.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have been saying this for a while now and it seems that I am fighting with the RVing crowd who say "the waters find, come on in".

It gets tiring to hear positive news when many of us live the reality without help form their companies to make a million.

The problems I see people are not preparing to enter a Business (not just this business but any business), not knowing what the goals should be and being greedy (meaning trying to make an easy buck). The days of easy living for newbies is over and has been for a long long time.

As for the recession, I just don't agree. We are the first to feel it, many companies stop using 'extra' services to cut back on expenses. Some companies in this niche market have seen it coming like FedEx who has tried to hedge the down turn by moving their sales to more broad offerings to the customer while maintaining the time critical selling point, the 'expediting' portion of the larger part of the business is getting to be a more or less a luxury for many compaines and more freight is being hauled under a time critical sale but as LTL.

Will it improve?

Yes but not for a while, it will get worst long before it will get better.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
You no that your not saying what people want to hear... they want to hear that everything is ok!!! this is just our slow time of the year....or maybe the fabled..I am doing better then last year!!..but neglect to say they only expedited the last 6 months of 2008...its bad out here folks...and it doesnt look good... If you have a nest egg...KEEP IT...Dont donate it to a expedite company.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The pool is getting less crowded....making for somewhat better for some of us....but newbees don't stand much chance at all....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say the RV and "I can make a million" few has died down. Probably because the ones that overextended themselves have turned in their trucks or sold them at a loss. Unless someone really knows what they are doing, I would advise waiting a while. We are still doing fairly decent, but I don't think it is the time for the novice to go into debt.
Of the ones I have talked to recently that have wanted to jump in, are in my opinion, well under-capitalized for the current market.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Just over 2 yrs ago, I started looking into this industry. I knew what expediting was about, but i didn't know the "in's and outs" , as my tag line says, "i know just enough about this business to get myself into trouble" , and that holds true today!!

I took over a yr to make the decision to enter this business and i owe no one nothing, everything is paid for, and I had money in the bank. Fortunately, the last 6 months of last yr were good to me....the 1st 4 of this yr have not been great, time off, a van accident and large deductable to cover..slow freight.. and not enough miles...i am doin ok, but not what i was even 6 months ago.......

I don't care what business you get into as a business owner, and if you do it in a down economic time, you had better researched it so that you have a more then basic education as to what it woill take to succeed and you had better have a good finanical base to work from to cover ANY and ALL expenses for a minimum of 3 months in good times and 6 months maybe a year in slow times.......that is just good business startup info for ANY BUSINESS, not just the Expediting business.......Right now you can NOT figure on enough cash coming in to pay all of your bills, especially if you are also supporting a household along with the business expenses...its slow out here.

Now, I have said that if you set yourself up right financially to begin with, you can do this, and you can....but would you think starting a business from -0- and then spending your own money from day one for 3-6 months is a smart business decision?? Yea you might survive by Spending all of your "upfront" money, but what have you succeeded at?? There are better ways to spend your money....

One lesson i have learned about this business that i had given thought to, and others (greg for one) talked about , but ran counter to my business dealings, is that you are NOT in total control of your earnings........in all of my other businesses, both past and the ones i still own, I had/have almost total ability to control my income...(ok we all know that we never have complete control, but for the most part, what a person makes is in direct relationship to their work ethic and ability to do what they need to do) BUT, in this business, you have to depend on a bunch of other influences that can determine your income...you can't control all of them.....that can be a problem if you can't adjust, sometimes i feel like pulling my hair out, but its thin enough and i look really bad bald........

So with all of that being said, would I tell you to not get into this business today/ nope, but i'd caution you to make sure you do it right and set yourself up to succeed, and understand that it isn't all in your own hands..........

Some are doing good, alot are just getting by, and still others are leaving...we all have different situations, look at yours and don't just jump, test the waters with your toe 1st.....its chili in here right now..........

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It took a while longer than other areas of the economy, but it seems that the recession has finally caught up with us too.

I still believe that a recession can be beneficial to the expedite industry. A slow economy means lean inventories. When the order does come through for a gizmo; parts and raw materials are needed asap.

Maybe I'm in denial, but I feel fine!

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I still believe that a recession can be beneficial to the expedite industry. A slow economy means lean inventories. When the order does come through for a gizmo; parts and raw materials are needed asap.

Maybe I'm in denial, but I feel fine!

I have never been in denial but I have been in damississippi. As for expediting Spring 2009 I am also optimistic in general but I am sure a lot of people are suffering now.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
an't doing that bad making payments but doing a lot of my own work now on truck but if a drop and hook job came open i might think about it real hard

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
We talk to a lot of drivers out here, and as far as I can tell, the Expedited Freight end of OTR is doing better than most (ie, flatbed, dry box). We have been doing OK but we are WG/TVal a highly specialized line of freight with limited options for the customers to get their product from Point A-to-Point B. Also, there are a limited number of these specialized trucks on the road. The more specialized you are, and the more qualifications that you have to fill the need of the customers, the busier you are.

The economic downturn hit many other industries years, yes years ago! I watched it happening from my previous life. In the trucking industry, and especially the expedited freight industry, we have been fortunate to be among the last to feel the pinch. In turn, I also believe that we will feel it first as the economy continues to improve.

For now, it's just a waiting game. Those that got in with a big expensive truck payment, and did not research the business well enough are the ones that will not make it through this bump in the road.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am not sure those options are as limited as you think. Rates for specialized freight continue to fall with way too may units out there. If you have small or no payments, I think you are in good shape. If one is to buy one of these units new, the rates and amount of loads don't justify the expense.
The revenue just isn't there like it was several years ago. If I was to invest 180K, this isn't where I would do it.
If they did, I wouldn't see these kinds of cancelled trucks.
Looks like someone figured it out at the last minute.
2008 KENWORTH T660 Expeditor/Hot Shot Truck For Sale At TruckPaper.com
2008 KENWORTH T660 Expeditor/Hot Shot Truck For Sale At TruckPaper.com

Two different trucks that are spec ed the same.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
yea thats them thar kw with them worthless cat eng that stay in shop maybe they over bought and nobody who's been around would buy them

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"The more specialized you are, and the more qualifications that you have to fill the need of the customers, the busier you are."

I don't agree.

I have everything a WG truck has and I am under utilized. I was with FedEx, and very under used, as they put it "qualifications are not as important as we lead on".

I heard this rumor that one company will provide more work for an fleet owner with WG trucks than they do with owner/operators, maybe I am wrong but it seems that way :rolleyes:

At $180k, can you imagine how much of an RV you can buy and see the country?

moose

Veteran Expediter
For now, it's just a waiting game. Those that got in with a big expensive truck payment, and did not research the business well enough are the ones that will not make it through this bump in the road.

I will agree with this statement - to a point .

yes , it is a waiting time ,
& yes , if you have an expensive truck , you better have a way to keep up the payments .

the problem is the lost of revenue ,
not your business plan ,
one O/O will choose to pay the salesman ,
one choose to pay the mechanic .
one O/O will be over qualified ,and get payed well,
one choose to save on operation costs ,
many ways to be successful ,
But , you need to get payed YOUR rate and volume.
or you need to park it ,
& wait .

at any case, I have yet to meet a solo St. truck O/O this year , that can show a good profit / income .

Moose.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your right on the business plan. That is why I think they are a waste of time as I have said for years. They only have a value if YOU are controlling the income. In many cases, it is the carrier that is controlling those numbers, not the driver.
Drivers can control some costs, but they pale as you mentioned if they aren't running.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
While you're right that you do not really control your income that does not mean you do have any options with regards to your income. I've actually done very well in the past three downturns in the economy. I made myself the reliable guy that dispatch could utilize and did the job well. Unfortunately this meant stepping on some toes along the way (or at least the other brokers felt that way).

This time it is worse but I've made a move that has at least kept me in the top 3 earners in the company and will provide benefits going forward.

I've always maintained that a drivers relationship with dispatch is one of the most critical points in maintaining income in this business.
Rob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya nailed it Rob!....Good working relationship = Kissin butt=suckin up...What ever the label...it's been part of my formula since the beginning....Its never let me down....paybacks are good!;)

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, I do...but I'm still digging out from my first attempt, so I'll not further saturate the field with newbies :)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
.....and be careful what you believe from a recruiter. talk to the drivers. ask for phone numbers or head to a j, petro or pilot and buy coffee and talk to them.

just spent last nite talking to a lady sprinter driver for one of the advertisers. she was told as a team she and her husband if they were available x amount of time they could make x dollars. well the husband is back home making more money than the wife is soloing. she is behind on the truck payments, behind on many bills and owes money to the company for advances to eat and fuel and told me she is planning to file bankruptcy. second story like this from this carriers newbie van drivers.