Canada Canadian Laws

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
All commecial vehicles must have governed speed no higher then 63 miles per hour. How many of you are going to spend the money to put gov's on your engine. Will you effect your time performance in the states heading out west where the speed limit is 75mph?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
When the temp hits 103 in Juno ill let another government tell me how fast my truck should be set at not until then

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe, (and I know I'll be corrected if I am wrong) that it is
only Ontario, and Quebec that are limiting our speedometers.
It tells me that they can't control their speeders, do they
truly think there going to now? All I see happening is that
there won't be as many commercial vehicles heading North,
the price of Goods and Services will rise, people will squawk,
the RCMP will either write more tickets, or turn the other blind
eye to the mess.

The Fed's could have done a study stretched out the cash flow
because once this is in full swing, the cash just isn't gonna be
there.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Exactly it's ON and QB, but this greatly effects loads from upstate NY to Michigan. Diving around the lakes makes no sense at all.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Eric, this has been discussed till the cows won't even come home, It's a tell that you only come on here when your miffed. Stay up to date.:p

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Eric, this has been discussed till the cows won't even come home, It's a tell that you only come on here when your miffed. Stay up to date.:p

And another thing that has been discussed on here many,many,many,many,many times is that you don't have to buy some extra piece of equipment to limit the speed.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
All commecial vehicles must have governed speed no higher then 63 miles per hour.
Inaccurate statement - only applies to heavy-duty vehicles over 10K GVW. Mebbe us vans and Sprinters will get busy and we won't have to:

BAN THE VAN !!!!!!

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
You don't have to buy an extra piece of equipment but you do have to pay to have your ECM changed to limit the speed.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
You don't have to buy an extra piece of equipment but you do have to pay to have your ECM changed to limit the speed.

I'm thinkin' that truck dealerships near the border are gonna be putting in an express lane for setting ECM's.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The actual regulation(s) are available on the thread located here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...orum/34117-canada-speed-limiters-what-do.html

rlent said:
Inaccurate statement - only applies to heavy-duty vehicles over 10K GVW. Mebbe us vans and Sprinters will get busy and we won't have to:

BAN THE VAN !!!!!!

It applies to vehicles over 26000#

Taken from the regs:

13. (1) A commercial motor vehicle is exempt from subsections 68.1 (1), (2), (3) and (6) of the Act if it is,

(a) a bus;

(b) a mobile crane;

(c) a motor home;

(d) a vehicle manufactured before 1995;

(e) a vehicle with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating under 11,794 kilograms; or (Writer's Note: 11794 Kg = 26001 Lb)

(f) an ambulance, a cardiac arrest emergency vehicle, or a fire apparatus. O. Reg. 396/08, s. 1.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
S'ok,.. so we can proceed with banning the van, and maybe we C Units will get busier.
Muahahahahaha

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It doesn't apply to me anyway, but the day I let some government mandate the max speed of my vehicle is the day we see:

frozen_hell.jpg

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinkin' that truck dealerships near the border are gonna be putting in an express lane for setting ECM's.

oh yea but deciding when to change back becomes a challenge and if you have time to stop on they way out otherwise you might be stuck with it for a 1000 mile run

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I made two trips to Ontario last week and can tell you Ontario based truckers don't have any more respect for the speed limiter law than they do for the speed limit . I kept hearing on the CB "Keep it under 105 " . Why would they be saying that if they had limiters on their trucks ? I even heard one driver come back " I'm doing 110 . What are they going to do , give me a ticket for 10 km/h over ? " (the 100 km/h speed limit ) I saw quite a few trucks pass me going considerably faster than a limiter would allow . Some of them were out of OH and NY , but many were based in ON .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, they'll get ticketed for going 10km over. But that's not all. Anyone in a truck that is going any faster than 105km, that's the litmus test for no speed limiter, and they'll get ticketed for not having that, too.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I give up, everyone just stay home.
Not me Dave ..... I like our northern neighbors.

I was up there on Friday morning dropping at Sterling in St. Thomas .... wasn't three hours before I got called with a load coming back out into the US.

Of course, freight is so hot down here in the lower 48, lotsa folks are just too busy to make it up that way ..... ;)