Tranny adjustment

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I recently read in my paper copy of the Expediter maggie about a couple and their transmission. I think the couple was the Cafees. Not sure about the name. Anyhoo, they said for increased fuel mileage they had their transmission changed from a 5 speed to a 6 speed. As I understood the article stated this was done electronically. Is it possible to change the number of gears in a trans electronically, or did I read something into the article? I understand the shift points can be changed. Just curious.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great article on the Caffees and their quest for improved fuel mileage. I too was confused about the 5 speed to 6 speed change but knowing absolutely nothing about automatic truck transmissions I let it slide. Can someone clarify this for the prof and me. Also a translation of page 20 would be helpful.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
from the eo front page. tell ya what....i will ask anne next week. after i get the answer there will be a test for y-o-u:D

Carrier Profiles
Bolt Express Expands Services

Oct 8, 2008 - 10:31:22 AM | By ExpeditersOnline

Bolt Express, Toledo, Ohio, continues to expand, now offering Bolt Express Truckload, providing dedicated truckload services to all points in North America and Mexico.

The expedited carrier has also established Bolt Logistics Mexico, which provides cross border and intra-Mexico transportation services, as well as consolidation, warehousing and brokerage services.

The expansion of services will allow Bolt Express to accommodate a full range of transportation requirements for their customers.

As a result of this expansion of business units and in order to support the new infrastructure required to service the variety of transportation services, Bolt Express recently completed an addition to its headquarters which more than doubled the size of their facility.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some Allison 5 speeds had the mechanical parts inside to give you a 6th speed, all that was needed was a change in programming to tell the TCU to use them.

Most are not like this, Sorry DD.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hey Jack .. was just wondering what the Bolt Express thing had to do with the Caffees and their transmission ........ :confused:

..... they still got ya on the pain pills for that knee replacement or what ? ... if so, mebbe ya wanna ease up a bit on 'em ....

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Piper1 has it exactly right. The truck was a 5 speed automatic and we had the ECM adjusted and made it a six speed. Our transmission shifts at 55 mph to sixth gear so that is why we run 57 mph.

We have not seen the printed article yet.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Hey Jack .. was just wondering what the Bolt Express thing had to do with the Caffees and their transmission ........ :confused:

..... they still got ya on the pain pills for that knee replacement or what ? ... if so, mebbe ya wanna ease up a bit on 'em ....

While I was sitting here adding Jack's stash to my Christmas wish list, I realized Jack wasn't hogging them all to himself, all at once afterall, and he just posted this to the wrong thread.. should be in the one about 'Terminology', which was also kinda sidetracked in itself.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
... The truck was a 5 speed automatic and we had the ECM adjusted and made it a six speed ...

Not to sidetrack this thread even further but.. jeez.. see what that fancy ECM can do? If it can do that, who is to say it will not also be able to adjust your speed while in ON and QC, and adjust it again when you come back out, all tied in with the GPS thingy on your already-existing satellite?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Yes your ECM can be adjusted to 65 mph.I have a smart shift transmission,we also run 57 mph,but put the truck in manual shift so it doesnt down shift to 9th gear in the hills,unless I need it to

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

no pain pills. they were just freaky strange pills. stopped using them after 4 days.

moot referenced page 20 in the new magazine. it was about bolt. why he referenced it i am not sure. maybe he will de-thaw and reply.

the tc article was pages 34,35 and 48.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The Page 20 reference, I think is that whoever wrote that half page ditty, tried to hit every buzz word in the dictionary of yuppiedom.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Page 20 reference, I think is that whoever wrote that half page ditty, tried to hit every buzz word in the dictionary of yuppiedom.

Basically it was a cohesive, seamlessly transparent interface actually.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I inquired at the Allison shop in Irving TX about lowering the sixth gear shift point on my Allison automatic to 60 mph from the current setting of 65 in order to run the Cat C-9 more close to 'er 1350 rpm sweet spot in 6th. The seemingly knowledgeable gent told me because the 6th gear clutch is the smallest/weakest clutch set, the 65mph shift point is there to avoid premature failure of the clutch. For $250 or so i could reset the shift point but may risk voiding the factory warranty. I decided to leave 'er be for now.

Dougb
Panther D
H/W team

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless you have an Allison from the 80's, clutch packs are all the same size, 1 thru 6. One of the best improvements Allison made to the electronic transmissions.