You've got to be kidding me

JENNANDDUSTY

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I understand slow times in expedite...I really do...but this is unreal....4 days sitting in one of the busiest expedite areas with NOT 1 load offer...and this is the 3rd week of this...you can't tell me that FDCC has no customers....except LG....my patience is wearing thin.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand slow times in expedite...I really do...but this is unreal....4 days sitting in one of the busiest expedite areas with NOT 1 load offer...and this is the 3rd week of this...you can't tell me that FDCC has no customers....except LG....my patience is wearing thin.

What kind of truck? What busy area?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, you think they're singling you out and letting you rot, passing you over with load after load, in the hopes that your patience will wear thin enough that you'll leave and go to another carrier.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/62708-slowest-month-2-years.html

JENNANDDUSTY

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Team straight truck...and last I knew Charlotte NC was a good area...Indianapolis too...but nothing??? You would just wonder where is all their business at?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Something is going on. We are a team in a sprinter.... And we average about 1-2 loads a week.... & we don't necessarily sit in bad spots either.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Team straight truck...and last I knew Charlotte NC was a good area...Indianapolis too...but nothing??? You would just wonder where is all their business at?

Dry box? TVAL? What other qualifications do you have? Like DOD etc.

We do very well out of Charlotte, we are a TVAL truck. We don't do much out of Indy.

JENNANDDUSTY

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
We're just at the point of "where is a good place to check into and get a load?" Doesn't seem like they have any dedicated customers except LG...ATL...Dallas...NJ...All LG...Where is the stuff we've been doing all along? Surely someone is running it...And we are not overcharging....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dry box...just surface but...This is not the norm...

I cannot help you, sorry. Our business is vastly different from your business. Our's is also not as much affected by the economy as yours might be. Some of what we carry moves in good times and bad. Maybe a similar FDCC team can advise you better. Good luck.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
We're just at the point of "where is a good place to check into and get a load?" Doesn't seem like they have any dedicated customers except LG...ATL...Dallas...NJ...All LG...Where is the stuff we've been doing all along? Surely someone is running it...And we are not overcharging....

Any qualifications for anything other than basic freight? Were a surface truck too but have every clearance, qualification and endorsement that we can except for tanker and will be getting that soon. We still haul a lot of lg as well; not the best paying, but not terrible and we keep the truck moving and making money. Do you have hazmat, tanker, passports, dod, radmat, etc?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Must be your carrier as our trucks are running fine. We ran a few teams out of hours last week.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think they might be starving everyone until June 1st then everyone will think flat rate isn't so bad.

there are alot of people who have been slow the last couple of weeks. its the first of a new quarter and also tax time.

we were wondering where you two got off to. called about two weeks ago and left a mssg for you !!!!!!!!!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
It's been a little down the last couple weeks, but Charlotte isn't too bad of a place for freight. That's something that's always baffled me when we would get a truck come over form a larger carrier and say that we keep them busier, until I took a closer look at the situation. Some of the larger carriers with good customer bases aren't going to look much at brokered freight or freight from partners, or when they do they're going to bid higher on it. On the other hand, smaller carriers like us who don't have much of a customer base yet are looking at every source and bidding whatever we need, within reason, to get the load. I'm not sure if that's what's going on with them or not, but I think that's the case with some companies. The brokered freight is just a whole lot cheaper than direct customer freight and if you have a contract to pay the driver a certain amount, then you need to get a certain amount on the freight and sometimes the brokered load isn't going to pay that. I don't know if that's the case or not. Just my two cents.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Fair assessment, IMO.
It is VERY difficult for dispatchers that usually get $2.00-$2.65 for a straight to even think that same truck is only worth$1.40-$1.60 to a fellow broker.

BUT.....these are the SAME guys that will PROUDLY contract a bid for a straight for $1.50 per mile.
And then they will pat themselves on the back and go back to beeching about no one wanting to pay $2 per mile off a load board.
'We are our own worst enemies.'

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand.
But no, my "ride" is an '06 Ext Express.
My wife's ride is a Std '06 Express.
The "personal ride", until it dies, is an '03 Town & Country.
And that "we" was a collective "we".
Not singling anyone out or including any particular peeps.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Fair assessment, IMO.
It is VERY difficult for dispatchers that usually get $2.00-$2.65 for a straight to even think that same truck is only worth$1.40-$1.60 to a fellow broker.

BUT.....these are the SAME guys that will PROUDLY contract a bid for a straight for $1.50 per mile.
And then they will pat themselves on the back and go back to beeching about no one wanting to pay $2 per mile off a load board.
'We are our own worst enemies.'

The same thing happens when you have dispatchers who are only used to booking bid board freight and then you introduce a customer or a non Sylectus 3PL into the equation and they want to quote the same lower prices with them. I've had to set up a different point of contact for direct customers so I can quote good rates to them and then go to dispatch if we have a truck near one of the loads.

I don't know where you're seeing this $1.50 stuff though. Even off bid board freight, we're still getting $1.85 on the low end with straights, depending on where it's picking up. I think the cheaper rates are cubes trying to play dock high with ramps a lot of the time.