You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Brownie" seems a little, uhm, lame and tiresome to me also, but I'm more interested in what someone might think an adequate governmental response would be to the oil spill.
Given the mentality of the general public and their current attitude toward conflict resolution and crisis management, I'd say an adequate response would be to have the undersea oil flow plugged and mess cleaned up in about 2-3 hours. That's about how long it takes to resolve a crisis in their favorite TV action-adventure or natural disaster movie. Everyone wants - no, demands fast food, instant uploads, immediate results, and no inconvenience. Unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate when accidents happen - and regardless of what anyone says, this was an accident. Also, contrary to popular opinion the govt. doesn't have solutions to all our problems.
Also, just to toss it out there, I wonder how many illegal aliens have invaded Arizona since Obama took office, versus the number who invaded prior to his being elected...
Comparatively the number must be quite small, considering he's only been office less than two years. But hey, wasn't he the one that promised all this CHANGE instead of...
... doing the exact same thing with regard to illegal immigration in Arizona as the last eight presidents have done?

Of course now everybody - especially the politicians - wants somebody to blame. It's absolutely laughable that RFK Jr still tries to blame Bush/Cheney for this mess in that pitiful Huffington Post article. Obviously, he's oblivious to the fact that Obama's Interior Dept thought so highly of BP that they were a finalist for the 2010 safety awards for offshore drilling. According to the Dept of Interior only the top candidates who show outstanding performance in each of their respective OCS districts will be considered a finalist for the National SAFE Award.” BP was also a finalist in 2009. Note to RFK Jr - call your office for an update; Bush isn't president any more.

Rhodes101

Not a Member
Thanks dooood! I used it a few days back and was quickly corrected. I think by either Pilgrim or Aristotle, which by the way are the same in my head for some reason. Not saying they are the same just they are in my head.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I just got a FedEx load going to New Iberia, Louisiana. Pays nearly a dollar a mile and I don't even wear a tie. Maybe it's the closest qualified truck that gets the load, I don't know.

Anyway, a few quick comments: an adequate response would be for this administration to step up to the microphone and tell the truth. That being, the federal government cannot fix this disaster anymore than Hurricane Katrina could have been stopped. Yet, the president will never tell the American people he cannot fix this. BP is all we have. We shouldn't be drilling at deep ocean depths because we are unable to correct disasters at that depth. Governments aren't able to stop forces of nature every time something goes awry.

President Obama is having his "Brownie" moment ... named after former FEMA administrator Larry Brown, whom Bush affectionately called Brownie. Katrina became an albatross around Bush's neck, now Obama is discovering the limitations of his omnipotence. The difference being that Bush was by far more honest than Obama. Obama has been in bed with Big Oil for quite some time.

This administration tell the Truth :rolleyes: Why start Now? This administration wouldn't know what the Truth about anything is if it hit them in the Face :D

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wasn't it reported that the faulty blow-out preventer was the primary cause? And then a lot of discussion/finger pointing about the lack of timely inspections/testing of this preventer?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It may have been reported as the primary cause, but the blowout preventer is supposed to the be mechanism of last report to smother a blowout. The primary cause was a gas pocket blowout which exploded. Before cementing a well like that, a series of light and heavy fluids (lighter and heavier than both sea water and oil, depending) are pumped into the well to clear out pockets of gas and oil, and then to plug the well in preparation for cementing. After each time fluids are pumped, pressure tests are performed to find out whether more of the same should be pumped in, or if a different weight of fluids are needed. As things progress, heavier fluid (which amounts to a thick mud) goes in to bolster the well. Once all is OK and the heavy fluid has capped he well, lighter fluid and sea water is pumped into the pipes to clear the way for the final cementing. If there is any leak when the heavy fluid is pumped out, and lighter fluid is pumped in, the well cap is severely weakened. If there is a high pressure gas pocket down there, the cap blows and you have a blowout.

Here's the thing... records show that three tests were performed, but real-time recorded data preserved back on-shore ends at 3PM (the well blew at 10PM). Tests are recorded at the rig and are then transmitted to shore. But the data isn't transmitted in real-time, as several hours can pass before the data gets mirrored on shore. So, basically, the final seven hours of data, and all written logs, went down in the explosion.

The final test of the three, performed just before 3PM, showed there was still some gas leaking at the well. Haliburton, who's job is was to do the actual cementing, stopped and reported the tests to BP and Transocean. Haliburton and the other crew were placed on standby and told to wait. 40 minutes later, after the BP and Transocean company people broke huddle, they reported to Haliburton that an additional test had been performed and that it was OK to proceed with the final cementing. Haliburton was not shown any new test results, and it's a situation where many are questioning whether the test was performed at all.

So, to cement the well, heavy fluid gets pumped out of the pipes, weakening the well, and light fluid and sea water gets pumped in, further weakening it, and with a gas leak already going on, thar she blows.

Alarms went off and workers frantically scrambled to engage the blowout preventer, which is a really big set of emergency cutoff valves. However, the blowout preventer was leaking hydraulic fluid, was missing at least one battery, and one of the valves had been replaced with a useless testing part four weeks earlier when the blowout preventer was damaged in a smaller accident. Excellent.

Still, if someone had not continued to offload the heavy drilling mud, the blowout preventer would have never been needed. Seven hours of missing test data makes 8.5 missing minutes of Nixon Tapes seem tame. This will almost certainly result in legislation requiring real-time on-shore monitoring of rigs and testing.