You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
At some point, at some level, Barack Obama will have to answer for the federal government's inadequate response to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Obama will not protect Arizona from an invasion of illegal immigrants, nor will he act on behalf of Louisiana or other Gulf states facing an eco-disaster.

We have found the chink in Obama's armor. When this administration cannot solve a problem, they stand far away and proclaim it to be someone else's responsibility. This smug approach won't sell at the ballot box.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The entire thing is one big cluster****!

Starting with the very slow response to the disaster by Obama, to the threats made by him to BP, all the way to Jindel demanding that they dredge areas to build up shore protection but refusals from the army corp of engineers to approve it until there is an environmental impact study done, to the EPA now telling BP to stop using the oil dispersant because it may be toxic.

We have come so far with government intervention that we can't respond to a disaster if we wanted to.

The people of the coast shouldn't be mad at BP, they are doing what they can with what interference they have to deal with but instead they should be so p*ssed off at Obama and his people and congress for putting road blocks in the way of protecting their lands.

I can't blame BP anymore and no one else should, they are working on a problem 6000 ft below the surface of the ocean in pitch black conditions with robots that don't think but Obama is sending lawyers and a bunch of others to pad their resume who are OUR the smart thinkers all the way down to this area only to hear this;

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar suggested that the government could intervene aggressively if BP wasn't delivering. "If we find that they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing, we'll push them out of the way appropriately," he said.

Then

"To push BP out of the way, it would raise the question, to replace them with what?" Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen.

Makes you wonder if the robots are the smarter group?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Brownie" seems a little, uhm, lame and tiresome to me also, but I'm more interested in what someone might think an adequate governmental response would be to the oil spill.

Also, just to toss it out there, I wonder how many illegal aliens have invaded Arizona since Obama took office, versus the number who invaded prior to his being elected, and why is Obama being blamed for doing the exact same thing with regard to illegal immigration in Arizona as the last eight presidents have done? Discuss.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Mark Levin covered this tonight...seems barry has the power to take over the total operation. His admin has been beating up BP and are going to "Keep our boot on the neck of BP".....but if he isn't happy, why hasn't he simply "federalized" the operation, he has the power...

From the link below:

Spill Response Authority

When responding to a spill, many considered the lines of responsibility under the pre-OPA regime
to be unclear,33 with too much reliance on spillers to perform proper cleanup.34 OPA strengthened
and clarified the federal government’s role in oil spill response and cleanup. OPA Section 4201
amended Section 311(c) of the CWA to provide the President (delegated to the USCG or EPA)
with three options: perform cleanup immediately (“federalize” the spill), monitor the response
efforts of the spiller, or direct the spiller’s cleanup activities.
The revised response authorities
addressed concerns “that precious time would be lost while waiting for the spiller to marshall its
cleanup forces.”35

Mark Levin

Now the gov doesn't have neither the ability or the equipment or the expertise to even try to do this without private enterprise, so all of this "crapping" on BP is nothing more the BS...politics as usual......wonder what would happen if BP hand the still over to barry and his minions...lol they wouldn't have the 1st idea on what to do, maybe thats why barry hasn't tried it...:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Federalize the spill and perform cleanup immediately? There's nothing to clean up, since it's still being spilled. There are a bazillion ideas on how to fix this, most of them just stoopid, all of them untried on a spill of this kind. Regardless of any potential effectiveness, nothing will do much of anything until the relief well is dug and the hole gets plugged (just like I said here). In the meantime they're trying all kinds of stuff, none of which has yet worked, but the relief well drilling continues.

They may have some luck this week pumping heavy fluids into the well which will eventually force the oil out of the way and plug the leak, then they can follow that up with a cement cap. But the bottom line is, the relief well must be dug and to relieve the pressure of that well, or even the cement cap won't hold. Only after the relief well has been dug and the spill stopped will the cleanup truly begin. Right now all the cleanup efforts are akin to bailing out a sinking ship with a Dixie cup.

The people who think Super Obama will come to the rescue and magically fix all this are living in a fantasy world (you know, Democrats, the same ones who think it's a great idea to explode a nuclear bomb next to the gusher to blow it out). The people who think Obama is to blame for all of this and could have/should have done more to mitigate the disaster are living in the same fantasy world.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, where is Red Adair when you need him!?!? :D

Oh wait this isn't a oil well fire, and besides, Red is Dead!!

Red_Adair_Biography

Oh and NO one is to blame for this, it is a true accident and it is a mess....

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Actor Kevin Costner has Spent 24 Million dollars of his Own Money on a Water/Oil Seperator made just for what is Happening in the Gulf. However it has yet to be Tested, but they are Going to try it in the next week or so! Who Knows, Maybe it will work :rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The problem isn't with the people who think he could have done more to prevent it but those who think he can fix it now.

By the way, isn't it a leak and not a spill?

Rhodes101

Not a Member
LOL, yeap and Cheney is STILL making a fortune off of it to...:rolleyes:
Gulf spill: Is the Bush administration to blame? - The Week

Here's a link : The Cheney Administration is clearly at fault. Kinda like the Virginia minors who died after they removed the safety acts that the Clinton administration had enacted.
They put big business's needs in front of life and limb and our natural resources. That's what the Repube's do, and you fine folks get sucked in by the pretty faces on False News and support them.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dood, there is no doubt (or debate , lol ) this is bushs fault, h8ll i posted that within a week of it happening.....:rolleyes:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
thats ok my post on it was sarcasism and my spelling has never been my strong point, but i spelled it that way, just for you....:rolleyes:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I just got a FedEx load going to New Iberia, Louisiana. Pays nearly a dollar a mile and I don't even wear a tie. Maybe it's the closest qualified truck that gets the load, I don't know.

Anyway, a few quick comments: an adequate response would be for this administration to step up to the microphone and tell the truth. That being, the federal government cannot fix this disaster anymore than Hurricane Katrina could have been stopped. Yet, the president will never tell the American people he cannot fix this. BP is all we have. We shouldn't be drilling at deep ocean depths because we are unable to correct disasters at that depth. Governments aren't able to stop forces of nature every time something goes awry.

President Obama is having his "Brownie" moment ... named after former FEMA administrator Larry Brown, whom Bush affectionately called Brownie. Katrina became an albatross around Bush's neck, now Obama is discovering the limitations of his omnipotence. The difference being that Bush was by far more honest than Obama. Obama has been in bed with Big Oil for quite some time.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
http://theweek.com/article/index/202791/gulf-spill-is-the-bush-administration-to-blameKinda like the Virginia minors who died after they removed the safety acts that the Clinton administration had enacted.

Actually not true.

Even though there may have been a strengthening of safety regulations, Clinton did little about them that I can find. The most sweeping act that has ever happened after the creation of the bureau of mines was first the federal coal mine health and safety act of 1969, then the 1973 creation of the mining enforcement safety administration (I think Nixon had something to do with these) and then federal mine and safety act of 1977. Since the beginning the fed have consistently failed to follow up on mine safety not because of any administration but because of the bureaucratic mentality that is entrenched in our government.

Since the 70's, mine related deaths have dropped a lot. We are still ahead of any country, china I think lost something like 4700 workers in 2006 and it hasn't gotten much better.

In fact the union has more to blame for what happened in the last disaster than anyone else - even the company. But because the union was inept in their core function, we as a nation will obviously blame anyone else we can but the poor union.

The other thing is Mining is dangerous to a point. I mean I have more risk of not returning home than a miner does. A miner has to be trained, where the idiots, dummies and fools on the road with me are not. They depend on other trained professionals to do the right thing while I can't. I know the work is hard in them mines, coal mines, copper mines and not taking that away from them but it is their choice to go underground to make money.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Gulf spill: Is the Bush administration to blame? - The Week

Here's a link : The Cheney Administration is clearly at fault. Kinda like the Virginia minors who died after they removed the safety acts that the Clinton administration had enacted.
They put big business's needs in front of life and limb and our natural resources. That's what the Repube's do, and you fine folks get sucked in by the pretty faces on False News and support them.

That is almost funny. Who would believe any opinion written by a Kennedy? Probably should look for a more credible source on that one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dude is a city slicker, usually urban Easterner, who is obsessive about his clothing and appearance. Dood, (spelled d00d by the 3l33t) is often pronounced doooooooooood by stoners and surfers and Keanu Reeves, and is a euphemism for "man" or "friend" depending on the context, and was largely popularized on the Internet as a result of a group of reincarnated demon penguins called the Prinny Squad from a PS2 game. Kewl.