Your spelling!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok answer me this you brainiacs!

WHEN did you guys (The U.S.) drop the U from colour,labour..theres 1 or 2 more words but I can't remember. Being your roots were British rule you originally used the U BUT somewhere it disappeared.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ovm, I think maybe it was about the same time we told them to kiss off and dumped their bloody tea!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Moot is probably right. We were demonstrating that we don't need U, the Brits, that is.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Terry is a master of one liners, no question. :)
If you're interested in the evolution of American English, though, there's a book by Bill Bryson, "American Made" that clears up some of the mysteries of the language. And if you've never had the pleasure of reading any of his books - Bill Bryson could write about dryer lint, and make it funny.(A reviewer said that, and I agree) Bryson is a treasure, and best of all, you actually learn something from his books, in between the laugh out loud stuff - I don't think it gets any better than that.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I found that info a while back when a hotshotter from AL said something about building his wife a washroom . A driver from MD later asked him how the new bathroom was coming along . I figured I'd explain things to them telling the AL , whose wife usually travels with him , if his wife ever went in a Canadian travel centre not to go back to the truck for the laundry .