You Too Can Become a Ty-Gard2000 Expert!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I saw the Ty-Gard2000 freight securement system for the first time yesterday at a shipping/receiving dock where Diane and I picked up freight. It is not something expediters would likely use but the demonsration video is interesting just the same.

The shipper told me they use this product when loading containers for overseas transport. I'm sure the people on the other end love the ease with which the product can be removed from the container walls after the freight is unloaded (not). On the other hand, for cargo that needs to be secured inside of a container, the product provides a solution.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like a lot of trouble to me. Just us straps to hold in Place.

Containers don't have any points to attach straps. Securing the freight to itself, won't keep it secured while on a ship or train.

I'm not sure that some of the container owners, (Pacer, Nippon, etc...), are going to want that stuff stuck all over the inside of their boxes.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was impressed by the amount of torque the operator was able to put on the "tool" to pull the stuff tight...Yea, i can't see expediters using it, but it does seem to be a good think for containers where there is on way to secure freight where it is just sitting loose...

Wow!! Cool, 1 MORE thing I am a EXPERT on!!!! :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting product, poor demo video. Once the doors on that container were closed, those drums had nowhere to go unless the container was overturned. But that never happens!
.container-ship2.jpg

Last edited:

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
saw this years ago when I was doing lable applicators. A customer was using it in to secure fright inside shipping containers. They were shipping 1000 pound boxes, and 50 and 100 pound drums of cyanide pellets used in mining overseas. A very interesting place to work in. Jerry Lee

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Moot not always true your thinking trucking not 30+ foot seas I was a stevedore for several years you would be surprised how much time and effort it takes to secure a load just because its in a container means nothing. You cant have any open air pockets in it that freight can shift into because it will move.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot not always true your thinking trucking not 30+ foot seas
I was thinking intermodal. You know, rail, truck, ship, that kind of thing. Tipped over is tipped over, rail truck or ocean going vessel. The picture I posted shows a ship and its cargo on its side. I don't know if it was 3o+ foot seas or poor piloting.

I was a stevedore for several years you would be surprised how much time and effort it takes to secure a load just because its in a container means nothing. You cant have any open air pockets in it that freight can shift into because it will move.

Stevedore or matador makes no difference. The only room for those barrels to move was up. The 3-4 configuration of the barrels, the maybe 3 to 4 inches maximum dead space at the tail, along with the plywood decking and maybe 30 inches max overhead dead space, would make it impossible for those barrels to move more than a few inches. Leakage, maybe. If I suspended you upside down for a period of time you would leak also. On the open seas the container with the most air pockets has a better chance of floating and thus a better chance of being salvaged. Ya, you betcha. My wife lost two containers of product in a train derailment in North Dakota last week. The product was weights for weight training machines. Lots of air pockets in that container. No word on what is salvageable.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I pulled intermodal containers with JB Hunt and sometimes would pick up an empty with that paper on walls. It wasn't too bad to pull off.