You have $170,000 for truck...

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
What would you get, would you put on it.

So far I got:
2007 Coranodo
132" ARI Sleeper w/side door
7.5kw generator
20ft reefer box
lift gate

Reason I ask is I might have the above amount for a truck real soon (not from the court case) and I want to get back to driving, I hate full time 9-5 work. I'm going to be doing panther elite or fed cc wg. I've read up on that camera system some of you put on and that sounds nice. Anything else that you would put on your dream truck?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't do a Coronado or 132" sleeper. I'd look into a Columbia if I was going FL and no more than 120" sleeper at most. That should allow another 2 feet of cargo box space. I like the idea of the camera system to document any incident that may occur. I don't know if I'd go reefer or not. I believe there is work for them but I'm not sure it's that much more yet. I could build an otherwise identical truck and have $35k in the bank for operating capital.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
A "dream truck" is the one that gets the job done, provides decent living quarters, and most importantly enables you to earn a living.

We are currently operating a Kenworth T800 based rig where the sleeper is larger than the freight box and have never found that to be an issue, but that is in our own peculiar situation. If the need arises, we do have access to equipment with more freight handling ability.

I'm really not a fan of the Coronado.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'd actually buy 4 trucks. But if I can only get one, it would be an '06 Argosy, 30'box, rigmaster gen, liftgate, and what's left over I'd buy a few acres in TN to park the truck.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
You want to tie up that much capitol in a truck? Wow good luck on getting it to repay you any more than a $100K truck would bring. I am at a loss to your post from an investment stand point and a business return on capitol, but if you got the dough and its yours that is alot of $ that you may never see back again.

I would rather have a hundred thousand dollar truck with 70 in the bank. Trucks depriciate FAST. Looking forward to the experts to chime in on this one.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Expediting trucks don't loose value as fast as say a regular long haul truck just based on the miles. As a team in long haul we would do 6-7k a week, at panther I only did 50k in 5 months. I'm not even sure if the truck will cost 170k, but I want to make sure that I can take every load that I can so having the reefer, lift gate and dual axles is required.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
themajicone,with the spec's you have listed:

2007 Coranado
132" ARI sleeper w/side door
7.5 kw generator
20' reefer box
lift gate
no mention of a pusher or tag axle

You are overweight and overlength.:eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to agree with DD. Your dimensions sure look over 40 feet. My thought is why spend 170k on a truck and job that can be done for much less? That isn't good business sense. Payments on that vehicle with just 10 percent interest will be huge unless you have alot down. As mentioned, for that price you can buy two. With todays rates, it isn't likely that one truck will out produce two others consistently.
Using a base of 1.20 pr 1.30, your truck would have to produce 2.40 to 2.60 plus surcharge just to break even. Not a ton of (reefer & liftgate) 3.00 per mile loads out there. I will put below the price and return on a vehicle that is half your cost. You can substitute the numbers you want and arrive at your numbers. Figure 7 to 10 percent from the dealer right off the top or more. They aren't working for free.

$85,000 truck on original purchase

residual value at 5 years or 500,000 miles is 25% of $85K or $21,250.00
add this figure to the present depreciated value...

1 year or 100,000 miles deduct one 40% of the original price and add the residual value

or 85k-21,500 = $63,500 x 60% = $38,100.00 + residual = $59,600.00

2 years or 200,000 miles

$63,500 x 40% = $25,400.00 + residual = $46,400.00

3 years or 300,000

$63,500 x 20% = $12,700.00 + residual = $34,200.00

4 years or 400,000

$63,500 x 10% = $ 6,350.00 + residual = $27,850.00

5 years or 500,00 $21,250.00

The above is using a rapid depreciation schedule. If you look at the classifieds, you seldon see many trucks over the 5 year mark. Including class eights,even though they will go longer.
You usually lose you depreciation value at that point.
Make sure you know what you are stepping into.
Steve's post reminded me....don't forget FET tax if doing that third axle.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Excellent post by Dave,you need to ask yourself,do I want to work for a truck or do I want to work for me?

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I didn't want this post to get into if I should spend 170k BUT IF I DID (OR YOU DID) what would you get?!?!!?!? ##### don't need to bash a post just because you don't agree with it...

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
why pay out your 170k,use uncle sams money,put minimal down payment,depreciation and interest are write off,keep your money.
also,coronado has 132" from bumper to back of cab,thats 11 ft.,now 20 ft box,that adds up to 31',so all thats left for sleeper is 9 ft,and that is if you put reefer under the box,but now you wont have a place to store your pads and bars,personally,i think your making mistake,you will neveer recover on a DR unit that cost thats much,unless your running with your wife.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
didn't want this post to get into if I should spend 170k BUT IF I DID (OR YOU DID) what would you get?!?!!?!? ##### don't need to bash a post just because you don't agree with it...
=====================================================
I don't think anyone is bashing you, But since you asked, if I was spending 170k, I would spread it over more than one vehicle.
Well...,I can't say that. A full blown RV maybe...(with no freight box). Some might be guilty of that.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Steve
True. But as far as expediting, you are not probably the norm. Most go to the 5 years as an average, so that is what I based an example on. But I see you point.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I don't feel anyone is bashing either, just giving oppinions as the mop flops. Mine is, placing 170K in a truck is s t e w p i d.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Magic... I have to agree that putting all of that money into one truck is unwise. If you need a NICE truck, use half of that money. Put the rest away. And if you have the urge to get another truck or two and have someone else drive them, there ya go. Three trucks generate more than one.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas