Yet another school shooting, will it ever end?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As long as fools keep laws in place to make schools a free fire zone rather than a safe zone these will happen. It's terrible but until idiotic laws are changed there's nothing we can do.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
As long as fools keep laws in place to make schools a free fire zone rather than a safe zone these will happen. It's terrible but until idiotic laws are changed there's nothing we can do.

Can you explain please

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Schools should be a place of fun and learning where kids go to grow up, giggle, date, go to dances, and May Day stuff and school plays, and field trips, and basketball games and football and all that stuff, whoops, I went to school thru the 50's and 4 years into the 60's. It was that way for us, no one died in school shootings, we did not do that. Biggest thing to get in trouble over was smoking in the bathroom, mercy. Bet teachers are ready for that again, and not the mess they got now..........................

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what this means ... "a free fire zone rather than a safe zone"

Hazard a guess .... students are allowed to take weapons to school ?????

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Laws prohibit the carry of weapons in schools. A good policy for students. A fool's policy for adults. Those adults who are properly licensed to carry a firearm and properly trained in it's use and capable of passing a minimum skills test should be authorized to carry even on school campuses. It would be a deterrent to many if not most of those who are shooting up schools. Why do they choose schools and not malls or police stations? Because schools are legally protected killing zones where there will be no opposition to their plans, i.e. a free fire zone for those with evil intent.

Allowing the proper people to carry on campus in the proper way will make such incidences much rarer. Nobody will be the wiser but the threat of true resistance will always be there. I know first hand of a case of an individual carrying on a school campus scores of times, primarily in the minuscule chance of the individual's own children needing protecting while there but ready to protect any of the children should the need arise. Never in any of the scores of times was anyone the wiser that the individual was armed. The same individual carried anywhere else that didn't use metal detectors or pat downs, again with nobody ever knowing there was a citizen in their presence.

Hopefully that explains it for you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When people are permitted to carry concealed weapons, it has a tendency to make other people think twice before starting something that might not end the way they expected.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Shootings do happen at shopping malls, and movie theaters, and all manner of locations. As for the proper people carrying firearms on school property, they already have those - they're called security guards, not educators.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It will not be long before the private parts checkers will be at every school in the country, you know as the TSA clowns. Same clowns that let a 30 year old walk across 2 runways, jump a security fence, and so on, hey, it happened.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Laws prohibit the carry of weapons in schools. A good policy for students. A fool's policy for adults. Those adults who are properly licensed to carry a firearm and properly trained in it's use and capable of passing a minimum skills test should be authorized to carry even on school campuses. It would be a deterrent to many if not most of those who are shooting up schools. Why do they choose schools and not malls or police stations? Because schools are legally protected killing zones where there will be no opposition to their plans, i.e. a free fire zone for those with evil intent.

A better way to put it: why don't schools in Israel have shoot-em-ups, considering they're surrounded by terrorist nations who want nothing more than their destruction? Because they intentionally post armed guards every-bleeping-where, and take them on field trips and such. You won't find a school in Israel without multiple armed guards (not in uniform) with automatic weapons. People with evil intent know better; they're evil, not stupid. They tend to choose the path of least resistance. Less resistance where your victims are disarmed by law.

In America, we have the reverse: an intentionally target-rich environment, where the decent people are disarmed by idiots. Now if you wanted to shoot up a school and had a choice of doing it in Israel or America, where would you do it?

Edit: iirc, the guards at Israeli schools are parents, not employees of the state, which would make things worse, not better.
And, axe yourself, why is it that gunmen don't shoot up police stations? Why choose schools or movie theaters, or other places where their victims are disarmed? I just answered my own question--because they prefer their victims disarmed rather than ready, willing, and able to shoot back.

Last edited:

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
what ever happened to the old fashion, fists, sticks etc. We never fought with knives and guns..

paullud

Veteran Expediter
what ever happened to the old fashion, fists, sticks etc. We never fought with knives and guns..

The schools decided a fist fight was to violent and started taking drastic actions against it, the law of unintended consequences reared it's ugly head.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I love my guns I want more people to carry but it won't stop anyone from bringing a gun to a school or a work place etc and shooting up the place. Only thing an armed teacher can do is stop the shooting not prevent it. I got no idea how to stop this. Depression and anger along with a little bullying causes this from what I see. Fix them problems and I think we could see a decrease.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I love my guns I want more people to carry but it won't stop anyone from bringing a gun to a school or a work place etc and shooting up the place.
Untrue. Different criminals have different motivations. You know how it's said that you can't deter a crime of passion? Likewise, you can't deter a crime the motivation for which is murder-suicide, unless the gunman wants to take lots of people with him and figures his "take"will be limited. But that still leaves a lot of other crimes that can be deterred. Make it known, you show up even brandishing a weapon and you leave horizontally, and if you survive, you don't see the light of day for a long time. Actually pull a trigger, and you die in a fusillade of bullets.
Only thing an armed teacher can do is stop the shooting not prevent it.
If it's not going to be prevented, STOPPING it in the aforementioned manner is the next best thing. A lot of people in Aurora, CO would be a lot happier if someone in that theater had capped dumb@$$ after the first or second casualty.

moose

Veteran Expediter
A better way to put itHave to disagree : why don't schools in Israel have shoot-em-upsbecause it is a smaller country, and the entitlement generation is still in diapers, give it a few years. last one was in a teen GAY assistant club , considering they're surrounded by terrorist nations who want nothing more than their destruction?those are terrorists, not criminals, BIG different, just give it a few years, we will have them inland over here Because they intentionally post armed guards every-bleeping-where, and take them on field trips and such. You won't find a school in Israel without multiple armed guards (not in uniform) with automatic weapons.they are actually in full dressed uniforms, they are privet contractors getting paid for by the hour People with evil intent know better; they're evil, not stupid. They tend to choose the path of least resistance. Less resistance where your victims are disarmed by law.

In America, we have the reverse: an intentionally target-rich environment, where the decent people are disarmed by idiots. agreeNow if you wanted to shoot up a school and had a choice of doing it in Israel or America, where would you do it?can we please choose a point in between ?, if so will french work ?

Edit: iirc, the guards at Israeli schools are parents, not employees of the state, which would make things worse, not better.no they are not, i mean yes many of them probably have children's of their own, but, they are posted there as a work place. however, many parents of community children are taking active rule in their child environments, and a great way to do so is by choosing to help security. many schools require parents to take part in the classroom. parents that choose to do so, needs to go throw hell to prove they are capable of providing the security needs of a fields trips, such training is provided by the local police station, not the military. fields trips are VERY popular, normally there will also be a paid for security guard on hand as well.
And, axe yourself, i wont !!!, beside it seams pretty complicatedwhy is it that gunmen don't shoot up police stations? Why choose schools or movie theaters,because SpiderMan is not a real super hero, they won't try shooting on a wonderwomen movie... or other places where their victims are disarmed? I just answered my own question--because they prefer their victims disarmed rather than ready, willing, and able to shoot back.
overall i do not think the Israeli analogy play well into this tread, sorry, Apples and Avocados.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
overall i do not think the Israeli analogy play well into this tread, sorry, Apples and Avocados.

Ok, let's stipulate that, just for the sake of argument...we still have the matter of why places whet people have been disarmed get shot up, rather than police stations. There were some back in the turbulent 60s & 70s, but back then, things were politically motivated. Anybody remember a cop shop shooting similar to a school shooting or Aurora?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Shootings tend to happen at places where people aren't as likely to be armed, because that's where the shooters have the greatest likelihood of not getting shot back. It's the same reason John Dillinger robbed banks. It's one of those "Well, duh!" moments.

There are plenty of "target rich environments" where people have not been disarmed by idiots - the people just don't happen to be all armed by their own choice - where plenty of people died in shootings. As well there are plenty of examples of people going on a shooting spree where others around them are well armed. I remember in 2004 I think it was, where a hunter in Wisconsin killed six other hunters and wounded two others after an argument with them. All of the dead and injured were well armed. I also seem to recall something about a shooting at a military base in Fort Hood, Texas, leaving 13 dead and 42 others wounded.