XPO Logistics Agrees to Acquire NLM

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That's for sure! I remember back in 2009 when XPO was .66 per share. As of 11:00 am today it was 23.10!

As they say "full disclosure" on owning some of their stock. They should have gave some at the .66 to their contractors to hedge against getting constantly ripped off. It would have been "the right thing to do". ;)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are there to make a profit.
Non-profits are formed to do the right thing.

True, and I have been involved in several businesses. Lesson number one. Don't screw the very people who provide that profit to you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's for sure! I remember back in 2009 when XPO was .66 per share. As of 11:00 am today it was 23.10!

Ya mon, Picked up a few thousand shares back in the day for $1.07. I be happy, and I hope this aquisition keeps things rocking. And yes, my purchase was made from the procedes of selling my Company and trucks. Had you sold your 50K truck and converted it to XPO, today you could repurchase 1.6 mil worth of trucks........so, Daves advice is spot on, providing you do it at the right time and pick the right stock code. life = lIFe

zorry

Veteran Expediter
blizzard;. Why would Landstar give up such a lucrative transportation model to one of it's competitors?[/QUOTE said:
I can give you about 80 million reasons.

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Expeditors.....they've been around as a cross border brokers for years...they bought or took over the Chrysler load board I think it was last year...

That's not quite right. Expeditors does handle Chrysler expedites, but they've had it much longer than a year ago. It was more like 2006 or 2007. Also, when NLM did handle Chrysler, it wasn't directly. Menlo was the contracted provider and they subbed the expedite management out to NLM.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
How will this acquisition affect the rest of the companies out there? Do you think Express-1 trucks will get first rite of refusal on all NLM loads before they are thrown up on the board for the smaller companies to bid on? Do you see this acquisition changing the dynamic of expediting as we know it today? It's going to be an interesting ride nonetheless.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How will this acquisition affect the rest of the companies out there? Do you think Express-1 trucks will get first rite of refusal on all NLM loads before they are thrown up on the board for the smaller companies to bid on? Do you see this acquisition changing the dynamic of expediting as we know it today? It's going to be an interesting ride nonetheless.

as a driver I didn't see any change with Landstar at the controls of NLM....BUT I have a feeling XPO will twink NLM in their favour.....Why else would Bradley even bother buying it....he now has some control over the direction of freight....it would be foolish not to take advantage of this....

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I can give you about 80 million reasons.

Maybe it's not that lucrative. It has been sold 2 or 3 times in the past 6 or 7 years. 80 Million is nothing to sneeze at but a single exepedite carrier last year sold for 170 million. I suspect it sounds far more glamorous than it is...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you buy it, skim the 10% that you need, or can get, and then sell it, you're good.

After so many sales you would think value would decrease.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
as a driver I didn't see any change with Landstar at the controls of NLM....BUT I have a feeling XPO will twink NLM in their favour.....Why else would Bradley even bother buying it....he now has some control over the direction of freight....it would be foolish not to take advantage of this....

This is merely another one of many acquisitions by Mr. Jacobs. When he first purchased XPO all the talk was about how it would create more loads for the drivers. I was with them until October and I am here to tell you I saw no difference in load numbers but I did notice a difference in pay per mile. They don't have enough trucks to service all of the loads even if they did use preferential treatment for NLM. This is just another one of many brokerages in his attempt to consolidate. Knowing his track record it is my educated guess that he will build XPO to somewhere between 1 and 2 billion in gross revenue. Causing the stock price to rise to like $35- $40 per share and then sell it. It's what guys like him do.