Wow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I missed all the action after my posts responding to a poster's admonitions that drivers that work with me for my owner are potentionally breaking the law in the way we do our vehicle inspections. I took offense to that and apparently so did Big Cat. I have only had issue with one moderator here in the years i have been participating in this forum. The one and same who referred to us as "dipsticks. " Perhaps a vacation is in order....

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem is, Melissa, we still don't know who, when, how and why the dipstick was broken. If you go back to that thread and read the original post, which is what the comments you took offense to were based upon, it would have been impossible to check the oil level in a pre-trip. OVM posted what he did as a way to get blood out of a turnip (A.K.A. get more information out of Dave, which typically takes about six or eight posts from Dave). Dave failed to enlighten us in any subsequent posts how long the dipstick had been broken, or even how it got broken.

For all we know, it's been broken for weeks and it's been that long since the oil level was checked.

Based on the information that was posted, a legitimate question was asked, that of 'just how did you expect a driver to check the oil during a pretrip?' Since the dipstick was broken, and it's impossible to check the oil level during a pretrip without one, then false pretrip reports must be being filed. There is no other conclusion that can be reached based on the information provided. To reach some other less offensive conclusion, one must make assumptions based on information we haven't seen.

Rather than going batcrap crazy over OVMs comments and accusations, despite others having the same questions about all the things that didn't add up, it seems to me it would have been easier for Dave to quickly clear up that issue by simply stating when and how the dipstick got broken. If it was broken that day by and at the repair shop, then the logical assumption would be that pre-trips were indeed possible, and very probable.

Interestingly, the issue of when and how the dipstick was broken has been questioned several times, and he has yet to give an answer. Is it because he doesn't want to admit that it's been broken for days or weeks? What conclusion, if any, can be drawn from that? Why would you or Big Cat be offended by questions regarding another truck's dipstick? Or is it the truck you drive?

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
My son used to play WOW all the time online... Kinda a modern dungeon and dragons, similar to EO in some respects : )

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well, I don't know if it's a cool site. There is more freedom over there, but the class of people is a little higher here. You're more likely to be quoted from the Communist Manifesto over there.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm under 10,000, so of course I don't log, but--- if I have a broken dipstick, I sure need to get that fixed pronto. By the time the idiot light comes on the damage is done, and it can be prevented.

Draining and replacing the oil should, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, be done as a matter of course when replacing a turbo since there's a good chance that debris from the turbo is in the oil pan. Replacing with the recommended volume and weight of oil-- of course. But, without that dipstick you're only guessing that it's enough, and not too much. Yes, I followed as much of this drama as I could, even though (a) it doesn't directly apply to me since I don't drive those large vehicles and (b) I'm not likely to pull into a Kenworth shop-- except to make a delivery-- as a result.

Edit: Add-on. I never have kept logs, but I have learned about them. One thing I learned is that falsifying a log-- and therefore, the charge that you have falsified a log-- is serious. Federally serious. I can see why the heat developed over that charge being bandied back and forth.

Last edited:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Rather than going batcrap crazy over OVMs comments
Why would you or Big Cat be offended by questions regarding another truck's dipstick? Or is it the truck you drive?[/QUOTE]

Have I been lectured? Hah hah. Not my truck. Its a straight of Dave's and I have met these drivers. Is it possible that OVM suggested that Dave's drivers may be falsifying their pretrip by saying they check the oil and do not? I believe that is how some took his comments. Done.

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To be correct..what I should have said was....IF there was no notation on pretrip that dipstick was missing/broken....that would have been an incorrect report. Alas I did not....my mistake...I stood before you all like a whipping boy and I took the beating.....:) signed Moe Howard

Last edited:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
There is a mod I would like to meet face to face some day. I would love to talk to them and tell them exactly, from my own mouth, what I said in posts which they in turn deleted and subsequently locked the thread. Alas, I know the chances are slim, for they would have to emerge from their vehicle to do so. I suspect my latest post in which this happened, which was explanatory of my position and nothing more, hit close to home and that is why the deletion/lockout. Two expediters whom we recently met in Taylor hit the proverbial nail on the head when one of them used the phrase "abuse of power": "If (X) doesn't agree with ya or you call him out dead to rights, he'll do that to ya. He's done it to me alot"

What gets me is the mods who violate the same codes of conduct which we as forum posters are expected to follow. Flaming, personal attacks are not uncommon by the hands of some moderators. When I point out I have been personally attacked by moderators? I get the mod's response that, basically, I set myself up for it. If a mod cannot separate their personal feelings from maintaining a forum, if they feel the need to grandstand and flaunt their power over the posts to please themselves, then they aren't suited to be moderators, IMHO.

Mind you, there are moderators who are very good at what they do, they are able to manage the forum objectively. That is what they are supposed to do.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There is a mod I would like to meet face to face some day. I would love to talk to them and tell them exactly, from my own mouth, what I said in posts which they in turn deleted and subsequently locked the thread. Alas, I know the chances are slim, for they would have to emerge from their vehicle to do so. I suspect my latest post in which this happened, which was explanatory of my position and nothing more, hit close to home and that is why the deletion/lockout. Two expediters whom we recently met in Taylor hit the proverbial nail on the head when one of them used the phrase "abuse of power": "If (X) doesn't agree with ya or you call him out dead to rights, he'll do that to ya. He's done it to me alot"

What gets me is the mods who violate the same codes of conduct which we as forum posters are expected to follow. Flaming, personal attacks are not uncommon by the hands of some moderators.
For the record, I didn't delete your posts or lock the thread you're talking about. Someone above my pay grade did that. As for you post being "explanatory of my position and nothing more" keep in mind that (a) if that were true then they wouldn't have deleted your post, and (b) your post can easily and quickly be undeleted to show the absurdity of that comment. Might be better to just let it go and leave it alone, as belaboring it won't accomplish anything.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
For the record, I didn't delete your posts or lock the thread you're talking about. Someone above my pay grade did that. As for you post being "explanatory of my position and nothing more" keep in mind that (a) if that were true then they wouldn't have deleted your post, and (b) your post can easily and quickly be undeleted to show the absurdity of that comment. Might be better to just let it go and leave it alone, as belaboring it won't accomplish anything.

LOL, who said I was talking about you? You're not the only one.

Granted, there are posts that have to go as they do violate "C/C"; then there are posts that do not do so, they merely violate the sensibilities of particular mods.

Your inane remark in another thread telling me to "go landscape something" was not what I would consider befitting a moderator. It seemed to be something bordering on a personal attack. That to me seemed along the lines of "I know you are but what am I"

Responding to my above post only serves proves my point of grandstanding and flaunting. Rather than remain quiet on the post and let it ride, you have in effect, called yourself out as one of those moderators to which I was referring.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.