Would a 16ft to 20 Ft Cube van work Expediting????

OTR07Career

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all Merry Christmas and Happy New Years,I ask if a Ford/Chevy Cube van w/diesel engine and 16ft to 20ft van w/build in Sleeper work in the expediting business..I ask this for my wife wants to join me and make a team but she's deaf and can't get CDL like me......
was going to buy a Cube van about 17ft build the sleeper and add a tag axles to take more weightbut not go over the 26001 gross weigh. ???????

Thanks All.....GOD BLESS.......

Chris ( Frhwk2005)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: Would a 16ft to 20 Ft Cube van work Expediting

First thing is it don't matter about the CDL, it is the insurance company of the carrier that will have the final say so.

Second I would be careful of the weight issue on a cutaway large box, most of them will require you to log because you tip over that 10K.

Third, the rule is >10K=logging - no way around that. If there was, I would be running a E550 right now.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

If you are looking to get in reasonable, consider picking up a used ex-Penske (or another company) rental cube van. They are built and tagged with a GVWR of 10,000 - which puts you under having to log (and in most places, scale)

You can get them reasonable considering what they are and how much cargo volume they can handle. They are gas (which is not necessarily a bad thing) One with a 16' box (really 15' and change) would allow you up to carry six pallets and still have a decent amount of space for sleeping quarters.

You should be getting better than a "B" rate if what you are hauling is >2500 lbs or more than two skids or overly tall (JMHO) - since you take a hit on mileage and hence have a higher operating cost.

There's a couple of guys on here that have 'em - MSinger for one ..... and I think another fellow with Landstar (Danny ? ..... not sure of his screename)

greg334

Veteran Expediter

The question is can you legally take 2500lbs with the cube van. I remember that with my striped down ford E350's most of them with 15 foot boxes could only haul 2600lbs - but I may be wrong with the new materials used for the box.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Thanks cherri ..... as I approach my 50th the mind is picking up a few cobwebs ...... :eek:

Greg - good point - I dunno what the unladen weight is on one of these ...... on the other hand, depending on what you are hauling you might be able to do more than 2 pallets and still have it weigh under 2500. I've had it happen more than just a few times.

One thing I did find interesting when we checked into it was that an aluminum box and an FRP box weighed nearly the same ..... would have thought that the FRP would have been alot heavier. Go figure .....

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management

Great points on cube vans. Keep in mind that most cube vans are 1 ton vans with a portion of the thin sheet metal "cut-away". A "box" is attached to the frame in lieu of the removed sheet metal. The box is much heavier than the metal.

Normally, one ton vans have a weight carrying capacity of 3500 lbs (before the driver and his belongings are placed in the van). The GVW on a typical one ton van is around 9,500 lbs, keeping them under DOT regs and the Hours of Service (logging) regulations. One ton vans typically weigh around 6,000 lbs. empty. Add in the weight of the "box" which was added, the weight of the driver, and the weight of his or her belongings, you now have a "van" that weighs around 7,500 lbs (or more) empty, and still has a GVW of 10,000 lbs. Add belongings, driver.... you get the idea - 2,500 lbs. load carrying capacity.

You can NEVER change the GVWR rating on a truck by adding air bags, different spings or the similar. The only time the weight (load) carrying capacity of a (straight)truck can change is if a "tag axle" is added to the vehicle. The tag axle itself has it's own GVWR tag. The weight tag inside the driver's door of the truck is combined with the weight tag on the tag axle for a new combined GVWR. The axle weight laws themselves in many states will not allow full usage of "proposed new GVWR". An example is a standard 33,000 GVWR straight truck. Add a tag axle which has it's own GVWR tag of 22,000 lbs. Can you now have a legal ride with GVWR of 55,000 lbs? NO, the axle laws will most likely limit you to 46,000 lbs.

Should you exceed the manufacturer's GVWR of the 10,000 lbs total, you are then required to log. You may also be subject to fines should you be stopped, scaled and found to exceed the GVWR plate located inside the driver's door of the vehicle.

I think it is very important, before you purchase a cube van (cut-away), that you research the carrier you are intending to lease it on to. Find out if more of their loads require volume capacity or weight carrying capacity. If more van loads are heavy, buy a typical one tone van. If their customers require more volume, buy the cube van. To get the most out of a cube van, purchase one with GVW in excess of 10,000 lbs, such as a good 14,000 GVW. You will get the best of both worlds - volume and weight carrying capacity. Sure you'll be required to log, but the few moments it takes you each day to prepare the log will be well worth it!

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

OTR07Career

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks...Much!!!

This has helped alot and I got a idea, Yeah I think I go with a Cube van under the 10.000 GVW and watch the weight and add sleeper. I have in pictue and talking with other companys and they all are saying to get the cube van for they are looking for Owners with Cube vans now for has more room in box....
Great points on cube vans. Keep in mind that most cube vans are 1 ton vans with a portion of the thin sheet metal "cut-away". A "box" is attached to the frame in lieu of the removed sheet metal. The box is much heavier than the metal.

Normally, one ton vans have a weight carrying capacity of 3500 lbs (before the driver and his belongings are placed in the van). The GVW on a typical one ton van is around 9,500 lbs, keeping them under DOT regs and the Hours of Service (logging) regulations. One ton vans typically weigh around 6,000 lbs. empty. Add in the weight of the "box" which was added, the weight of the driver, and the weight of his or her belongings, you now have a "van" that weighs around 7,500 lbs (or more) empty, and still has a GVW of 10,000 lbs. Add belongings, driver.... you get the idea - 2,500 lbs. load carrying capacity.

You can NEVER change the GVWR rating on a truck by adding air bags, different spings or the similar. The only time the weight (load) carrying capacity of a (straight)truck can change is if a "tag axle" is added to the vehicle. The tag axle itself has it's own GVWR tag. The weight tag inside the driver's door of the truck is combined with the weight tag on the tag axle for a new combined GVWR. The axle weight laws themselves in many states will not allow full usage of "proposed new GVWR". An example is a standard 33,000 GVWR straight truck. Add a tag axle which has it's own GVWR tag of 22,000 lbs. Can you now have a legal ride with GVWR of 55,000 lbs? NO, the axle laws will most likely limit you to 46,000 lbs.

Should you exceed the manufacturer's GVWR of the 10,000 lbs total, you are then required to log. You may also be subject to fines should you be stopped, scaled and found to exceed the GVWR plate located inside the driver's door of the vehicle.

I think it is very important, before you purchase a cube van (cut-away), that you research the carrier you are intending to lease it on to. Find out if more of their loads require volume capacity or weight carrying capacity. If more van loads are heavy, buy a typical one tone van. If their customers require more volume, buy the cube van. To get the most out of a cube van, purchase one with GVW in excess of 10,000 lbs, such as a good 14,000 GVW. You will get the best of both worlds - volume and weight carrying capacity. Sure you'll be required to log, but the few moments it takes you each day to prepare the log will be well worth it!

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The one thing to remember is that IF you go with a diesel engined van/chassis, the additional weight will put 500 more pounds on the curb weight.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
This has helped alot and I got a idea, Yeah I think I go with a Cube van under the 10.000 GVW and watch the weight and add sleeper. I have in pictue and talking with other companys and they all are saying to get the cube van for they are looking for Owners with Cube vans now for has more room in box....
If one of those companies is All Types run away as fast as you can .

jezzy

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i have a 2005 chevy cube with a 14ft box unicell 12000gvw i log bit i can haul 5000lbs best of both worlds.

robtech

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i have a 2005 chevy cube with a 14ft box unicell 12000gvw i log bit i can haul 5000lbs best of both worlds.

Ok, I was thinking of getting a cargo van but it looks like I should go with this.
I know all companies will vary but is it realistic to make $1,000+ a week with a cargo van or box truck?
Please be gentle...newbie here :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I am sorry about that, I didn't read the whole thing as I was typing. I am getting used to this new forum software.

As about logging, I don't know - some like to while others don't.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I'll try to answer some of your questions . You don't need a CDL to operate a van with a 12,000 lb. GVWR unless you haul hazmat Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration .
Will you "make" $1,000 a week with a van ? Gross , possibly but net after expenses , no .
On the logging issue there is no advantage to it . If you log , once you log on duty you have to stop after 14 hours unless you take a 10 hour off duty break or 8 hour sleeper break . The 8 hour sleeper will have to be combined with 2 hours off duty . Too complicated to cover here . You are also limited to 70 hours in 8 days unless you take a 34 hour restart . Obviously those preferring not to log want to take less than 10 hour breaks and work more than 14 hours a day and more than 70 hours in 8 days .

robtech

Seasoned Expediter
Do you have a cdl? Can I assume that you do ok and are happy with your choice of business? Reason I ask is, it seems that a majority of the posts are kinda negative and was wondering if it is working out for you.

robtech

Seasoned Expediter
I'll try to answer some of your questions . You don't need a CDL to operate a van with a 12,000 lb. GVWR unless you haul hazmat Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration .
Will you "make" $1,000 a week with a van ? Gross , possibly but net after expenses , no .
On the logging issue there is no advantage to it . If you log , once you log on duty you have to stop after 14 hours unless you take a 10 hour off duty break or 8 hour sleeper break . The 8 hour sleeper will have to be combined with 2 hours off duty . Too complicated to cover here . You are also limited to 70 hours in 8 days unless you take a 34 hour restart . Obviously those preferring not to log want to take less than 10 hour breaks and work more than 14 hours a day and more than 70 hours in 8 days .
Thanks! that's exactly the information I was looking for. :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Whoa, wait a minute.... I was under the impression that in order to drive interstate, a CDL is required for any CMV over 10K, am I wrong?