Women in Trucking

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Ellen I was mentioning that we have tried working with you and I am not alone in my thoughts on the problems we have run into with WIT. I know you have been at the Expo for many years in the form of Trucker Buddy and now with WIT. I and others here are trying to say some of issues we have had problems with and why we are not going to renew our membership.

Linda, can you be specific about the "problems" you are referring to so I can understand what you are concerned about? I still haven't gotten any specific thoughts from you on how we can better represent the expediters. I welcome your input.

Ellen

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi EllenV. My name is Moot. I am a typical male ______(fill in the blank) engaged the past 30 years in a typical male dominated industry. So I have a typical male, Moot type question for you. What does the "V" stand for in your name? And yes I am that shallow of male sexist pig.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Last year at MATS several expedite women joined WIT and after MATS several more women joined all excited to be a member of WIT and be involved. We are in the group of expediters that have started our second careers and enjoy our little area of trucking. We have many of the same problems of the “big trucks” but then also many great things our “little trucks” can do that has a lot to offer a second career new women just getting started. Many of the women I talk to have only been in expediting and we haul for different types of shippers and receivers then most of the long haul trucks have to deal with. It is hard for us to relate to waiting for hours at a warehouse, as normaly we are moved to the front of the line and immediately unloaded. Then we go do the dreaded “Wait” for the next load, but we can offer ideas on how to get through that wait.
I would have liked to get an area in the forums about women in expediting and trying to get alternative information out to women just getting started in trucking. This idea was not accepted at the time as it was deemed competition for this site so in time I lost interest and moved on. We are all still pioneers in this field and trying to make it better for each of us out here and our future. Trucking has came a long way but still has a long way to go. Charlotte pointed out many areas to me about the organization that I had let slip from my mind and I appreciate that. I am glad you have started posting on this site as I think we can learn a lot from you and WIT and I think we in turn can be and would like to be a benefit to WIT.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The women of E.O. present themselves as business people and expediters first. And that is exactly how I see them. Some of the smartest and most successful women in trucking are expediters and E.O. members.

I can see why a group like WIT would recruit here. WIT needs you more than you need them.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Linda, thanks for sharing your concerns. I don't recall that we didn't want an expedite forum when you mentioned it, as we were working on a bulletin board at the time. It wasn't a matter of NOT wanting it, but rather not having the capability then.

I have started a thread for expediters now.
Women in Trucking Association

Moot, I am not recruiting on this site. I am trying to better understand expediting since I am being chastised for not representing this area of trucking.

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Ellen,

I had a couple questions about your experience as a commercial driver? I had looked at your profile and did now see what you driver or are you still driving?
Also can you share with us, women, what was the top concern of women at MATS and your thoughts about what the top concerns that women had?
One concern I have is about showers. I wish that there were a couple showers that were reserved just for women. Face it we smell different than men, whatever smell you want to discuss, we are different. I have gotten a YMCA membership so I can workout and I can shower everyday. Most of them have a pool and some even a jacuzzi, now who couldn't use a hot tub after a long drive? The Y's also have lounge areas with news papers, TV's. Also most of the parking areas are big enough for a Tractor or Straight truck. Membership is $35/mo and that is for away membership, meaning you can use any Y that participates in this program, 95% do.
There is a web site that you can go on that you enter where you are at and the closest Y's will show along with address and map, I go on the internet Google Satellite and I can zoom in and see the neighborhood the size of the parking lot. This is nice it helps me keep my weight in check and feeling good and most important clean. The DOT is going to start coming down hard on medicals. I spoke with a doctor not to long ago that said there have been several studies done on fatal accidents involving commercial vehicles / drivers and have shown that a lot of accidents are caused by drivers having strokes, diabetic shock, and heart attacks. There is going to be a grace period to allow drivers to get there bodies in shape and or on medication to control these conditions. Of course there is the discrimination come back but bottom line is if a driver is behind the wheel of even a van let alone a full size tractor trailer fully loaded, wiping out a family, a bus full of children or even one person because he or she does not want to control these conditions is not acceptable. The drivers will be put on a shorter time between medicals so that the doctor can monitor results and that the medication is working. If these drivers do not comply the medical will not be renewed and any doctor falsifying the report can loose their license. As with drug screening information on these drivers will be in a database that doctors can access so if the driver tries to doctor shop, it will not work. I for one think this long overdue. I have been asked by the doctor that I got my medical from, to help him with what I do and other drivers do to keep in shape. I am on blood pressure medication, this I inherited :( But I am doing something about. If you have had similar discussions about such topics please share.
Ok I ran with that one, but it supports my idea on getting into a Y or similar organization, it is great for the mind, body and soul.;)

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Hi EJ,

I am not a professional driver, and I do not hold a CDL. Women In Trucking is not just for drivers. My first job in trucking was as the Traffic Manager at a steel fabricating plant. My job was to bring in raw steel products and ship out finished material handling equipment (pallets, cantilever racks, etc.) I was the sole female Traffic Manager in 1980. Our goal is to encourage more women to look at the entire trucking industry as a career option.

Thanks for your comments on staying healthy. I met with the NATSO (National Assoc. of Truck Stop Operators) Foundation yesterday. We are looking at ways to work together to find a rating or certification system for their members who maintain higher standards of security, safety and cleanliness.

I would like to ask the members of this forum what they would like to see us use as standards. Here are some ideas.

Bathroom/showers cleaned (how often?)
Facilities (Family restrooms/showers?)
Lighting in the parking lots (how much?)
Security (off duty officers? fencing? guard for drivers?)
Amenities in the convenience store (women's toiletries, clothing sizes,etc.)

What do you suggest we use as criteria for holding truck stops accountable?

Ellen

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
mascots for drivers????? Like Wonder Woman or Bat Girl? Jeez, I just thought of a real funny one but don't dare post it.

Bathroom/showers cleaned (how often?)
Facilities (Family restrooms/showers?)
Lighting in the parking lots (how much?)
Security (off duty officers? fencing? mascots for drivers?)
Amenities in the convenience store (women's toiletries, clothing sizes,etc.)

The above issues are not necessarily gender specific except for the toiletries.

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately we can not really ask truck stop to be held accountable.
Truck stops are a business, and they cater to their demand. I really believe that we have to start with the drivers. I mean if drivers are not going to take care of what is provided for them, then why should a business continue to cater to a customer that either does not purchase items, ie., healthy foods and take care of the amenities provided at a cost or free, such as nice landscaping, grass and pic nic benches. I could really go on, but the point is that the drivers have to want to take care and appreciate what is there for them before we can expect the truck stops to take interest in what we want.
So many drivers back into a slot and dump their personal garbage and any pallets, old tires, and oil changes right on the pavement or some nice grass and landscaped areas. If anything I would like to see surveillance cameras put up so the offending drivers can be held accountable and a stiff fine so that the business can pay for the damage already done. That is one of the primary reasons there are no truck parking signs up certain parking lots. If we can get the industry in a whole to focus on being cleaner and becoming more health minded then we might see some of the truck stops to take notice and make changes in the areas that are needed. But as I mentioned in my post about medicals and drivers having to take control of their own health issues, this is what it is going to take to really have the professional drivers realize that if they want to continue to drive they are going to need to make some serious changes in their diet.

Maybe if you would get in a truck and spend some time as an OTR driver you would see that what I am pointing out is very realistic, or if you have a little longer will reveal the needs and where the focus should be. No discredit on what you are doing, my cap is off to you. Those of us that have to use these facilities on a day to day basis see that it is not the truck stop owner / manager that needs changing but the attitudes
of some of the drivers. We go back to that saying, one bad apple ruins the whole bunch. This is the reason I have started using the YMCA, but not all drivers have the freedom I do.

One thing I have started doing is taking pictures of drivers that are offensive in public or using the parking lot as a garbage, I make sure the DOT#, Company name and truck number show.
I look up the information on the internet and send it to the appropriate department. And I also give a copy to the facility manager. That is about all I can do since am on a schedule,
but it is something.:cool:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately we can not really ask truck stop to be held accountable. I disagree, we ALL must be held accountable for our actions, businesses even more so, if they want to stay in business that is.
Truck stops are a business, and they cater to their demand. Should be correct but I can't recall ever demanding nor do I know any other drivers that have demanded the conditions and treatment that we often see at the establishments that make so much money from us. I really believe that we have to start with the drivers. I mean if drivers are not going to take care of what is provided for them, then why should a business continue to cater to a customer that either does not purchase items, ie., healthy foods and take care of the amenities provided at a cost or free, such as nice landscaping, grass and pic nic benches. Goes back to that demand thing, if the demand is greater for not so healthy foods then the majority of what they offer will be such. They can't control what their customers buy and eat, they can only supply the demand. I could really go on, but the point is that the drivers have to want to take care and appreciate what is there for them before we can expect the truck stops to take interest in what we want. Perhaps many drivers act differently when in a 'better' space, i.e. Danny's Big Rig Resort in Phoenix. Look at the lot and landscaping. I don't imagine they have much of a littering problem. If they do, you'd never know it by looking at the place. Spotless for the most part, maybe those who would normally leave a pee jug behind would think twice in those surroundings.
So many drivers back into a slot and dump their personal garbage and any pallets, old tires, and oil changes right on the pavement or some nice grass and landscaped areas. If anything I would like to see surveillance cameras put up so the offending drivers can be held accountable and a stiff fine so that the business can pay for the damage already done. That is one of the primary reasons there are no truck parking signs up certain parking lots. If we can get the industry in a whole to focus on being cleaner and becoming more health minded then we might see some of the truck stops to take notice and make changes in the areas that are needed. I agree that there's far too many out here that act like pigs and should be held accountable for it but that's not what Ellen's question was and if we wait for the drivers to walk straight before we address the problems at the truck stops, nothing will ever get done. But as I mentioned in my post about medicals and drivers having to take control of their own health issues, this is what it is going to take to really have the professional drivers realize that if they want to continue to drive they are going to need to make some serious changes in their diet. True enough but it's not something that you or I can change, they're going to do what they want to do.

Maybe if you would get in a truck and spend some time as an OTR driver you would see that what I am pointing out is very realistic, or if you have a little longer will reveal the needs and where the focus should be. You say no discredit and your cap is off to Ellen but this is twice now that you have emphasized that she is not a driver and I think it shows disrespect for her and the work she's doing. No discredit on what you are doing, my cap is off to you. Those of us that have to use these facilities on a day to day basis see that it is not the truck stop owner / manager that needs changing but the attitudes
of some of the drivers. We go back to that saying, one bad apple ruins the whole bunch. This is the reason I have started using the YMCA, but not all drivers have the freedom I do.

One thing I have started doing is taking pictures of drivers that are offensive in public or using the parking lot as a garbage, I make sure the DOT#, Company name and truck number show.
I look up the information on the internet and send it to the appropriate department. And I also give a copy to the facility manager. That is about all I can do since am on a schedule,
but it is something.:cool:
I agree with these actions and have resented past posts where we've been told to 'mind our own business', this IS our business and will likely not change unless more drivers become proactive.

This has been an interesting thread in more ways than one. I believe it's showing some attitudes that some wouldn't really want to admit that they have.

I think Charlee hit the nail right on the head with what's going on here, the 'entitled' that is.

Seems that most here want to put this organization down but I see not too many of the complainers trying to help Ellen. If you disagree, perhaps you should click on the link she provided and look up that post she's talking about. Oh, you'll have to go to page 3 to find it as it hasn't had any response from those that felt like WIT didn't want much to do with the women in expediting. Makes me wonder who's looking down on who here as Dave said.

JMHO, of course.

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately we can not really ask truck stop to be held accountable. I disagree, we ALL must be held accountable for our actions, businesses even more so, if they want to stay in business that is. What I meant by that is stated in my post and refers to the questions or needs that we as drivers need, ie.: They pave a parking are and put out garbage cans but drivers do not use them, or if they back into light poles, is that the truck stops fault? They put out chicken salad sandwich or fruit, but no one buys it, is that the truck stops fault?Truck stops are a business, and they cater to their demand. Should be correct but I can't recall ever demanding nor do I know any other drivers that have demanded the conditions and treatment that we often see at the establishments that make so much money from us. If you go into a bathroom and there is no toilet paper, do you tell someone? When you fuel up and your window is covered in love bugs, but there is now window cleaning soap or even a tool to clean with, do you say something, If you go buy a fountain drink and there is no ice, do you say something? I do, and that is a demand, of course one would hope we ask in a polite and professional manner.Goes back to that demand thing, if the demand is greater for not so healthy foods then the majority of what they offer will be such. They can't control what their customers buy and eat, they can only supply the demand.That is the point of my thread here. You can not ask anyone providing a service to be held accountable if their customers treat the business like a dump. If they put out healthy foods and they just spoil.
Maybe if you would get in a truck and spend some time as an OTR driver you would see that what I am pointing out is very realistic, or if you have a little longer will reveal the needs and where the focus should be. You say no discredit and your cap is off to Ellen but this is twice now that you have emphasized that she is not a driver and I think it shows disrespect for her and the work she's doing
Unfortunately you can only read my words in the attitude you perceive. It is no more than constructive criticism. I think Ellen's devotion to what she has started and is doing is very admirable. But it is just like you agreeing or disagreeing with comments posted by other members, we all have opinions and are free to express them. I merely asked if she was a driver because of her questions. If she was out on the road her questions might be different because she would see first hand information of the earlier stated questions. Her not being a OTR driver puts her at a disadvantage and in turn she relies on our feed back, hence why should we pay for a membership to a site that is built on the members information. Charging us to inform her, hmmmmmmmmm seems a little backwards.

I think people like Ellen and even you and me, if we are proactive in making the trucking business cleaner, healthier for all drivers we as women would benefit. The way we do this is different from one individual to the next. I take pictures, I have even walked up to the door of a driver who has tossed either garbage or a pee bottle and knocked, camera in hand and said, " interesting thing just happened I was taking pictures of the truck stop for an article and your garbage was coming out the window when I clicked. I know you must have accidentally dropped it so why don't you pick it up so I can get a shot without the garbage. " If he ( never has it been a she ) is a turd and ignores I just let him know the picture will be shared with the appropriate people. Yes this is risky, but I need a little excitement in my life once in awhile. Its that adrenaline thing.:eek:

So Ellen, I am sure you have thick skin being in the publics eye you have to. Take what I say as someone who cares as much as you do. We all need to do our part in making the country,(not just truck stops ) a cleaner healthier place.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks EJ,

You didn't ask me if I have been on the road. You asked if I was a driver. I owned a small fleet with my former husband and I was on the road with him often. I used truck stops and their facilities all the time. This was when he had to stand at the door to the shower so no men would come in while I was trying to get clean.

I have been on the road and I have traveled the country in a truck and I have co-owned about ten trucks in the past. I don't have a CDL, but that doesn't mean that I haven't experienced what truck stops are like.

I truly want to take some comments back to NATSO so we can help them help us. They want a way to measure how well truck stops are serving drivers. They asked us to help work on a way to certify the truck stops who meet these standards. In return, we send our members there and provide information on which truck stops are in compliance. I think it is a great partnership.

Many expediters use gasoline instead of fuel, and I am aware that for these vehicles, there are no reward programs for free showers, etc. This might be something that we can mention to encourage expediters to stop.

I welcome your feedback.

If you think that I am "charging you to inform us," then I won't continue to ask for your feedback, as there are people who want to make this industry better and welcome those who will take action.

Ellen

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ellen

This is great the back and forth talk on ideas. This was what I thought the original idea was for WIT so I am really pleased to see your comments asking for ideas. The below thoughts are just my opinions on what I have seen and done.

I have to question why the trucks stops would want to change? I see no incentive for them to do so as our choices are very few of where to park. Until we have an alternative place to park and let our business do our talking for us we are pretty much stuck. The Flying J and TA's often do surveys and give you a couple buck for participating on what you think of the facilities. Not sure what they do with this information as I do not see much changed. I believe others also ask for feedback on their facilities.

Bathroom/showers cleaned (how often?) Most of the time what I see is not that someone goes into clean them, but the fact that they either do not clean them or actually do not know how to clean a bathroom. How often is not going to solve the problem but how well is what is needed.

Lighting in the parking lots (how much?) Most of the bigger truck stops have good lighting even in the back row where we often park to let our dog out to use the bathroom. Some stops have a lot of lights but are of such poor quality they put out little light. We stay away from the stops that have bad lighting or if that is not possible do not walk between trucks and stay near the roadway. On the dog issue going to the bathroom we always carry baggies as there is no need of our dog adding to the mess others have left behind.

Facilities (Family restrooms/showers?) We often have to wait in the line to get a shower. I am afraid if they were to make a family shower they would take away from the existing showers.

Security (off duty officers? fencing? guard for drivers?) - We have stayed in a few pay lots with this so called security such as one in Dallas and a couple in Ontario CA and I am not sure what the fence is for and the off duty officers are for, unless it is to keep the drivers from running away. I would feel a lot better about paying at a lot if there really was security provided for the driver and the trucks.

Amenities in the convenience store (women's toiletries, clothing sizes,etc.) - We often get our hair cut at truck stops and some do a very nice job. I think as more and more women start driving and living on the road in time more of these things will be demanded of the truck stop stores. I have seen one truck stop that had a manicure salon in with the hair salon. If there is no demand for these services they will not be provided as it not profitable.

What do you suggest we use as criteria for holding truck stops accountable? I think the surveys that we turn in has to give them some idea of what the facilities are like. I would love to see on each of the truck stops web pages a feed back area where we could voice our concerns on each truck stop. There has been many times I would love to compliment a truck stop as well as complain about the filth.

Thanks Again Ellen for asking the above questions make us all think on what we can do to better our lives out here.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Great article Charlotte AND Ellen. Good job to both of you. Good to see you working with the WIT ladies, Charlotte, keep up the good work!:D