Women in Trucking

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I am curios to how many of our ladies here at EO joined the Women in Trucking?
Do you benefit from it?

I know that lapel pin is enticing.
I was cruising down the road listening to the radio and heard a replay on Road Dog with the founder of WIT. Valid concerns and ideas were expressed by both women and men.
So today I went on the web site to check it out, it costs money to be a member.I did not join; I did not see a real benefit to being a member that is not covered in EO forum.

I have learned a lot from the threads I have read on the EO forum. Charging for a membership so women can have a source to turn to when feeling like she has no help or anyone to lean on is not really reaching out as the site does mention it does. That is what the sponsors are for. Intimidation is real for many women and there is a need for the gals in trucking to have a resource to turn to. And after listening to the talk show I heard a lot of good stuff, that is why I went to check it out today.

So I feel that charging for membership is defeating the purpose. The last thing any driver needs, man or woman, is another expense. We pay more for a lot of things, and to take the time to go to a regular store is not always an option. As a woman out on the road we have some obstacles that men do not have, as in many working environments. The forums are awesome and a real need.

I would think that if WIT was free and had standards similar to EO there would be more members and a lot more good information out there for not just the women but all drivers.

As for this site, I learn something new about every day I find it a valuable tool as well as a source of company. I have been driving for a little over 5 years, solo. Not until the freight has slowed did I start using my computer as a resource for information and friendship while away from home.

Yes I got a little testy but hey, I am a woman, and my last name is Moody, and the roids tend to make me a bit edgy, so go figure!

So if some of you ladies or gentlemen have joined and think it is worth it, please share with me and others.

Thanks

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
We are charged for a membership in OOiDA...why not WIT? Do you think that WIT is increasing the women's face and issues in the trucking industry? WIT is NOT comprable to EO. Do you not think that EO makes money off us? lol....they make so much advertising money because of US....we come to this site, their hits are up they can charge more for advertising. WIT's primary directive is to increase our presence in this industry. Ellen and Char work extremely hard to get the organization's name in the forefront of any media they can. Are you a member of OOiDA? They do NOT charge to have access to their site or their forums.....same as EO. They charge a sponsership fee, same as any other organization...even girl scouts. Yes, the fact that you even heard of them on a national program tells me they are worth the small price I pay in a membership. The fact that they talk to large truckstops and tell them what women would like to see tells me they are worth it. The fact that they have insurance companies calling them to see what type of health insurance coverage does a woman need that is different than a man, tells me they are worth it. They can be a collective voice for women in trucking. Eo is not our voice, it is a gathering place. EO is not testifying before congress on any matters that pertain to us. EO merely is a recruiting station for anyone that types in the word expediter in google, and a place where people that succeed and fail share their stories, in hopes that others learn.

-charlotte

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Like I said in my post, I have worked in a male dominant field all my life, I never relied on anything outside my own hard work to be treated with respect and recognized as an equal.
As you mentioned in your reply that just us being on EO helps their hits and therefore EO comes up at the top of search engines. Then why can’t WIT do the same and eventually the word “trucking” would bring the WIT link up on the top 10 and then more sponsoring or advertising would come their way. I just think that if they really want to help out women in trucking that the membership should be free for individual women professional drivers. More members more notice, more stories would be shared so that women who may not feel comfortable in a very mixed forums would and could find help and learn from other women who have had success and who have failed.
$25 may be a small price to pay for some, but as in girl scouts there are parents, moms, out on the road that $25 is 5 gallons of milk for the kids at home or a month of lunches at the school cafeteria. Also by it being free the word would get out even faster and sponsorship from larger entities would be inclined to advertise or sponsor.
I think WIT is a wonderful idea, I just do not agree with them charging for membership, it is more a deterrent than not. I have several female friends that are professional drivers that joined only to later comment that they will not renew and feel it was a waste. The comments varied from "it had nothing for me" to "not enough members to share ideas". I can really only go by what they have said, so that is why I through the question out there.
Thanks for your info
EJ

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also joined this organization last year at MATS and will not be renewing my membership. I thought the idea was great for WIT but I was soon discouraged as I felt an Expediter in a "small truck" and also by driving team the leaders of this group really did not want much to do with us. It will be interesting I believe as last year at MATS was the big kick off for this new group and how many will renew?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The wife looked at this group last year but they are generally TT oriented. Got the impression they look down on the expedite market. In fact, if I recall correctly, they didn't even know what expediting was.
Or, that was an easier answer to show disinterest.
Wife was less than impressed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My impressions of WIT were also very negative. After attending the "Roundtable Discussion for Drivers" that Ellen presented at the Expo last July, I was perplexed at the whole purpose, because the questions were provided by Ellen, (not the audience), and all seemed related to her other job in Driver Retention, with Schneider Trucking. IE: "Why did you leave your last carrier?" "How important is Dispatch, in your success?" None of the time was related to women in general, or expediting in particular.
In 2006, Linder Caffee presented a seminar for "Women in Expediting" (I got official credit for the Seminar, but it was Linder who organized it, really - I just did what she suggested, lol) that was far more relevant and informational, having representatives of several carriers, truck sizes, team & solo drivers, and questions from the audience, about what we do, and how we do it. The attendees actually learned something about expediting, and that was the point.
I think that Women in Trucking may eventually be of some use for women driving OTR for the LTL carriers, but they have nothing to offer women in Expediting.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Women In Trucking. I would like to respond to your comments with the hope of helping you understand what our organization is about.

In regard to the roundtable forum at the Expo, that was not about Women In Trucking, it was about driver retention. I asked the drivers questions so that the audience could understand what they were thinking when the left or when they were looking for a new carrier. This forum was intended to focus on the driver's comments, not mine. That's why I asked questions and waited for their responses.

Now, I want you to know although I founded Women In Trucking, I am an unpaid volunteer and I travel throughout North America talking to groups about how to be more female friendly. I don't make the distinction between Class 8 vehicles or expediting trucks because the issues are usually the same. If you feel that I am neglecting expediting, I would appreciate your input. We strive to represent all women in trucking.

As fas as dues. We are a 501(c)(6) and that is our legal structure. I don't think that $10 or $25 annually is a great deal of money, although I am sensitive to the costs that you incur and that's why non-CDL holders pay more. We have to charge dues because that is how we were formed, similar to OOIDA and other associations.

I wish that you would tell me what you would like me to address instead of telling others that you are unhappy with our organization. We represent you, the driver, and I want to make sure that we know what we can do to make this industry more appealing to women so that we can increase our ranks.

Thanks!
Ellen

Women In Trucking, Inc.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
The wife looked at this group last year but they are generally TT oriented. Got the impression they look down on the expedite market. In fact, if I recall correctly, they didn't even know what expediting was.
Or, that was an easier answer to show disinterest.
Wife was less than impressed.

Dave, our most recent newsletter featured Emily Saunders of Bolt Express. I encourage you to review our website again!

Ellen

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
I also joined this organization last year at MATS and will not be renewing my membership. I thought the idea was great for WIT but I was soon discouraged as I felt an Expediter in a "small truck" and also by driving team the leaders of this group really did not want much to do with us. It will be interesting I believe as last year at MATS was the big kick off for this new group and how many will renew?

Linda, I am sorry that you felt that we didn't want anything to do with you. Can you help me understand this. We have had a great relationship with expediters and would like to represent all women in the industry.

I believe that your membership was complimentary of International Truck and Engine from their ergonomics study. They will be measuring women again this year and giving complimentary memberships if you wish to participate again at the show.

Ellen

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I can see that there are more dissatisfied members than satisfied at this point (but not a firm founded opinion) and maybe if WIT made an open enrollment for a limited time, waiving the dues you might get more members and in turn get more information to what women on the road need or want to see changed.

Ellen, you might want to become a regular on this forum and share your ideas and concerns of other female members.

I do think you have the right idea behind your organization but you are limited at this point. The mention of the women drivers that are friends of mine and that are not going to join or rejoin are not in expediting, I drove a tractor trailer before coming to expediting. I came across this forum while looking for trucks to buy. EO really does have wide variety of members with extensive knowledge in a wide array of areas in the trucking business. And that is what the WIT site needs but from a women’s view.

I say “go girl” take this bit of information and use it to launch your organization to an OUR organization!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say the strongest advice already given, is to become a active participant in the EO forums.
As mentioned, the best way to gain support from a group is to interact and support that intended group.
Our experience really resulted in one not knowing what we do.
Or..........."your the people with the little trucks"
Just not a way to gain support for your group. Some issues are the same, and some are much different.
With expediting being somewhat of a tight knit community, they can identify when someone does or doesn't have their interests in mind.
Again, I would encourage you to join in and communicate with the EO folks on a ongoing basis, and then you might be surprised as to how genuine and welcoming the expediting ladies are.
They are without a doubt, some of the best in the transportation industry

davelees1

Seasoned Expediter

My husband and I have been expediting since mid January, we started last year training and driving the "big rig" at Warner, but soon decided we would be happier expediting. While I was in training at Warner, I looked up WIT and found one article that I thought was good and a bit informative, however, since that time I have not gone back to the site. I was not able to ecomically afford the membership at that time, and I do not believe I would bother much with it at this time.

When I was searching for women's issues in trucking at that time, I was interested in: ways to cope being away from family and friends for 6 to 8 weeks while living in a truck with a strange person (man or woman). Coping stragegies would have been helpful, other women's experiences would have been helpful, how to take care of needs women have, looking nice, fresh, and professional when there is no bathroom or showers available, etc., as I was trying to normalize my experiences.
I found no information.

I successfully finished training, and was able to team with my husband for several months before we left and became owner operators.

What I have learned I have learned by experience, working with my husband, and discussing best options, here on this forum and from our company.

One of my questions has been [since there are so many rules, regulations and laws concerning truck drivers] why are there no regulations for companies who do not provide readable addresses on their buildings or provide proper signs indicating shipping and receiving. It seems such a simple request.

Thanks,

Crystal

Reactions: 1 person

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One of my questions has been [since there are so many rules, regulations and laws concerning truck drivers] why are there no regulations for companies who do not provide readable addresses on their buildings or provide proper signs indicating shipping and receiving. It seems such a simple request

It usually boils down to pure laziness, cost, or someone trying to complicate the simple.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,

I think that it has nothing to do with what you mentioned but it is something akin to the directions they give in a small town;

'take a left at Lee's farm…..it isn't lee's farm now but they moved out of there in 1908 we just call it Lee’s farm because the Lee’s built the house there, Mrs. Brubaker lives there now…… take a left at lee's farm until you come to the fork in the road….. go towards Albert's place which is that way…. when you get to Albert’s place, go past it ‘bit and make a left when you see the singing cow sign……not the new singing cow sign but the old singing cow sign with the broken lights….. If Mrs. Albert is making her moon pies, stop and get one, they are good…. where was i? … oh once you get to the singing cow sign, there is a dirt road that leads you to the York place, it is not a big road, maybe so wide….. I think your truck will have no problem on it…..York’s place is the only one on the road …..you turn into ol man York’s.... go in between the two barns but don't go past the smoke house where ol' man York is doing up hams… not the one he has his sausage in, but the one he has his hams in ..... and look for a flower pot to your left …… then turn right….. it may be grassy right now, not a lot of traffic this time of year you know and don't worry there is plenty of gravel under the grass….. your truck won't get stuck... now.. oh yep, follow the path until you get past the last cow pen and into the pasture... once you get there.... go across the pasture to the gate…..you should see it easily the kids white washed it with the milk the truck guy would not take from McGinnis’ farm last year….. sad about them cows..... oh….through the gate, make a sharp left and about from here yonder to that tree, you'll see solid road....follow that road about three miles, maybe five... until you get to the barn with a Burma shave sign leaning up against a Dutch doors … remember not one of those old Burma shave signs but one of the new ones put in about ‘41…… I don’t recollect if the barn was painted recently…. maybe it was in ’64 ….could have been in ’68……. once you go past the barn …. the place you are looking for is behind the chicken coup, not the chicken coup that belongs to the Phillips…. he has the Burma Shave sign leaning against the barn…. you know he got that?.... he and his brother was drunk when their sister got married…. they hit all the signs on the road except’n that one…. kept it to remember the wedding by….. yep a lot of people around here seem’d to be lost without them ….missing their turns….. yep….. the chicken coup you want on the left side of the road but the road you need to get to it is up a ways up on the right…. you have to follow the road ‘round over the tracks and up the hill a bit than you double back go under the tracks …..you can get to from there’

I actually had directions like this once and had to record it with my phone to get to the place. It was where I found the stop sign in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program…..

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ellen,

I did send you PM's about WIT truck and getting more involved with the expediters as I thought this was really going to be great for all of us driving in the trucking sector. The forums at the time I was trying to get something going only concentrated on getting into the "big trucks" and I thought expediting was a very viable option for some of these couples. I was either ignored or told WIT did not want to compete with EO. I tried once again to talk about this issue at the Expo last year and did not make any progress. Terry and I also sent in a article about expediting to the organization that the staff asked for and do not know what happened to that piece. Over all it seemed as if the expediters that I have talked to and my own experiences have only been rebuffed by WIT by the written word and also by the staff.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Linda, your article was on our website for months, and we have never rebuffed anyone. In fact, I have been attending the Expedite Expo since it's very first year. I talk to drivers constantly to understand their concerns.

Char, our staff person, calls Expedite members all the time to ask their opinions on things before she makes decisions. That's why she featured Emily Saunders from Bolt Express on the cover of our newsletter.

I am not sure what you are asking us to do? We welcome all drivers, and we need your feedback on specific things to work on to make the industry more female friendly.

I have stood in front of women's groups and encouraged them to look into expediting as a career opportunity. I have also met with the AARP to work on funding for women to get their own expediting equipment with grants or small loans. Do you have anyone representing you to legislative groups who forwards your concerns? I go to Washington and meet with US Congressmen and women to express our need for changes in the industry.

I would welcome input from expediters on what we are NOT already working on so we can tackle some more issues. However, I would also ask that you look at what we are doing on your behalf in the area of rest stops, carriers, shippers, legislation and financing and more before you make any claims that we are not trying to accommodate you.

My question for this group is this. What can Women In Trucking do for you that is unique to expediting that we are not already striving to change?

Give me your thoughts and I will work on making changes for you. Instead of criticizing us, I would ask that you work with us and we can be much more effective.

Ellen

Last edited:

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Linda,

I read your article on the WIT website, so I am not sure what you are referring to as being "rebuffed"? I have to tell you, I am an expediter...but I have never been involved with a more "entitled" group of people than the people on this forum. Expediting is very "small" segment of the trucking industry. You holler and scream that you are not treated like "real" truckdrivers, and yet when someone feels like the issues we have are INDUSTRY issues, not just pertaining to your "rv on wheels" then you think they are doing nothing for you.

To the person who stated they have worked in male dominated careers their entire life...good for you. I am willing to bet most of us have. I am also willing to bet you would not have been successful had people and organizations LIKE WIT not opened the door for you in the first place. Working in a male dominated environment is much different than excelling in one.

If you have issues with WIT, then so be it...but do NOT say that they have ignored expediters......I cannot tell you how many times I have received an email or an inquiry from someone at WIT or a member about issues relating to our little tiny corner of the world. I respond immediately and it is appreciated. I do not have to get a "pat on the back" to know that they are listening.

FYI.....RoadKing magazine in MAY/JUNE issue will feature an article on WIT..featuring "gasp" EXPEDITERS.

Realistic expectations seem to be hard to come by in Expediting.

Ellen, do not let these people get you down. What you and WIT have done and are doing is a very good thing. Up until a year ago Women in Trucking was not even a topic of conversation....and btw way....it IS Women in TRUCKING, not Women in EXPEDITING.

-charlotte

P.S Let me just say that for the FIRST time I am ashamed of my fellow expediters. The untrue things that are stated on this forum are more than just opinions.....many of them are just plain not true. Way to represent our industry.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ellen I was mentioning that we have tried working with you and I am not alone in my thoughts on the problems we have run into with WIT. I know you have been at the Expo for many years in the form of Trucker Buddy and now with WIT. I and others here are trying to say some of issues we have had problems with and why we are not going to renew our membership.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Should it not be one and the same women in trucking and women in expediting I see no difference. I am not trying to get Ellen down or this group down at all and many of last year at MATS took women over and had them measured for seats. And if you look in the history of the Women's Forum posted about the new WIT group and how beneficial this would be to all of us. I am hoping that this will open a new dialog between WIT and this group and the future we could all have working together.

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I don’t think Ellen is getting down. If she let something like this bring her down she would not be able to accomplish the accomplishments she has. I think this thread actually did WIT some good, I have learned more from it. But the reason I have chose to work in a male dominant field is so I do not have to deal with women whining, LOL, actually it is because I like the work. My last job was I opened a dive shop in the Florida Keys, worked from the ground up, had my 50 ton Master Captain License. Not that a women cannot do that work but it is not common for a women to do it alone, without a husband. I started working on my dad’s Peterbuilt when I was 12 years old, changing oil, lubing, you know the fun stuff.:confused:
I placed in a spear fishing contest swimming to 120ft on one breath hold spearing a 50lb Halibut, when I was in high school there were no girls soccer team, I petitioned the athletic department got on the team and secured starter center forward on the team. My first triathlon I did I placed second place in the women’s division. I never was once treated special or anything made easier, if it was I probably would have poohied on the idea because the challenge is what enticed me. I got into trucking because it was familiar and it did not hurt my back. With all the sports I have done and being on a pounding ocean 10 hours a day, I manage to blow out four discs, I had to sell my dive shop because I was not going to sit inside while other drove my boat and dove with students. I did all these things with the only reason is I liked it, wanted it, went out and got it.
There are a lot more women doing these things now and it is women like me opening the door for others. Women like Ellen speaking out and getting our voices heard, one might see her on a road to a political future and she would need thicker skin than you Charlee assumes she has.

Am I tooting my own horn, heck yeah, I deserve to!!!:cool:

Thanks Ellen for taking time to read and respond to these threads I hope we will see and hear from you more often in EO, and maybe the womens side will have more than just recipes.:p:p

EJ