Winter survival suggestions, tips?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that we all can agree that we have been very fortunate this far weatherwise...but I think winter is not done yet, and the worst is yet to come..

So what tips, suggestions do you have that may help others weather the storm, to be better prepared? Products?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
As expected, (lol), I'll start with a few suggestions..

Lock de-icer...it's always a good idea to carry a pocket sized hand sanitizer with you, but the alcohol in it acts as a lock deicer as well when sprayed liberally on a key and inserted in the lock a few times....

Windshield de-icer in a spray bottle works wonders, especially to thaw windshield washer squirters, locks, etc..

Stuck on ice? Carry a small bottle of bleach..pour a little on top of the drives, and after a few minutes it will gently soften the rubber enough so you can drive right off the ice..

If you are pulling a trailer, never set the trailer brakes when parked for a extended period of time, as the shoes will freeze to the drums..and you may end up dragging the trailer tandems...there is no power (like the tractor drives) to break them free..

There used to be a product called " slushbusters" that stuck to the windshield wipers lower path that was like a speedbump to knock of the slush buildup on the wiper blades. Trico wipers also make a winter wiper blade that has a rubber sheath on the wiper to prevent snow and slush from clogging them up. I swear by these.

A 5# bag of icemelt is a good item to carry too.

How many times have you went to a fuel stop only to find the squeegees are frozen solid in the reservoirs? Go to harbor freight and get a squeegee that has a sponge thing on it, and an extendable handle on it. Carry a squirt bottle with below zero windshield wash solution in it...that you can spray the foam part of the squeegee with...and spray off the lights reflectors, and reflective tape with and wipe with a rag..

I hope this helps someone...

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
An Espar heater if at all possible.
A definite must have! And have a backup source of heat as well to an Espar. I use a butane gas powered stove for cooking, and bought this round stainless cylinder thing that attaches to that that has excellent reviews for putting out a lot of heat. A great heat backup. I also have a small 7" square space heater as a backup to my backup...lol.... . but I use that backup to my backup in case I have a homeless person living in their car parked next to me. I run an extension cord from the generator to the heater I let them use to stay warm..

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss. I lost my Mom 6 months after this covid started to covid. I miss her and Dad so much. If you need anything, please let me know. Hang in there and be strong.

Reactions: fastman_1

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are pulling a trailer, never set the trailer brakes when parked for a extended period of time, as the shoes will freeze to the drums..and you may end up dragging the trailer tandems...there is no power (like the tractor drives) to break them free..
True trailer brake shoes can freeze to drums but being parked for extended periods of time doesn't come into play. Setting brakes, trailer or power unit while warm or hot, immediately after driving through snow, will cause shoes to freeze to drums depending on air temperature. I used to do a meet and turn and often the driver from the other end would heat up the brakes getting off the interstate and then drive through snow in the truckstop parking lot and set the brakes. On a set of doubles this would almost guarantee that at least one of three trailing axles would have a frozen brake. All it takes to avoid this is let the brakes cool a few minutes before setting them. Better yet, apply the brakes and immediately release squeezing out some water. Do this several times.

With any vehicle with air brakes, drain the tanks at least twice a day. Especially in the winter.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I started doing this van expedite thing in 1997. I got my first Espar when I bought my Transit in 2015. Why I didn't do this years ago...I ain't too smart.
Or you just didn't want to jump in on an untried fad. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Does kitty litter has the capabilities to melt snow and ice?
No. But it will give you instant traction if you're stuck. Just a handful or two under each drive tire and you're good to go.

I carried a gallon container of kitty litter with me every winter, and only had to use it a couple of times, but was really glad I had it when I needed it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I started doing this van expedite thing in 1997. I got my first Espar when I bought my Transit in 2015. Why I didn't do this years ago...I ain't too smart.
Me too. Trying to stay warm and sleep in my front seat overnight in below 10 degrees (Indiana)with just the van heater, sleeping bag, and multiple blankets with winter clothing on.