Winter survival suggestions, tips?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
No. But it will give you instant traction if you're stuck. Just a handful or two under each drive tire and you're good to go.

I carried a gallon container of kitty litter with me every winter, and only had to use it a couple of times, but was really glad I had it when I needed it.
Thats nice to know..I'll stick with the rock salt/ ice melt..if I get out the side door of the van, and see ice in my path, I grab the salt and throw it by hand in my path on those unmaintained Flying Pilot areas..smh..I'm not risking falling on my plump behind.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me too. Trying to stay warm and sleep in my front seat overnight in below 10 degrees (Indiana)with just the van heater, sleeping bag, and multiple blankets with winter clothing on.
Good God!!! All that, and you couldn't stay warm??? Just the van heater alone should be more than capable to keep you warm..The heat in my Econoline will cook me out of here, driving or idling, regardless of outside temperature. I drive with a T-shirt on. Lol.

Reactions: muttly

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't seen a home since Jan 21, going on a year in the truck. I just bought a sleeping bag at Walmart. I have a espar but no one to install it.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't seen a home since Jan 21, going on a year in the truck. I just bought a sleeping bag at Walmart. I have a espar but no one to install it.
Either go to espar of Michigan or buy a 4 inch hole saw and a strong Ridgid brand drill and put it in yourself. Honestly, it's so easy to do.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Either go to espar of Michigan or buy a 4 inch hole saw and a strong Ridgid brand drill and put it in yourself. Honestly, it's so easy to do.
Can you give a hand? I'll drive to you. Trade/ Cash help with anything. :) Do you have experience in 04-06 Sprinter on espar install? It requires fuel tank to be dropped. Cleveland is going to be a bit cold but if you have a heated garage we will be ok. I slept in 3 degree weather in Detroit years back with 0 degree bag. I can't believe I did that.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you give a hand? I'll drive to you. Trade/ Cash help with anything. :) Do you have experience in 04-06 Sprinter on espar install? It requires fuel tank to be dropped. Cleveland is going to be a bit cold but if you have a heated garage we will be ok. I slept in 3 degree weather in Detroit years back with 0 degree bag. I can't believe I did that.
I'd love to, but I am up to my ears in my current van build. That was why I recommended Espar of Michigan in Canton, Mi. Brian does excellent perfect work. Cerni's in Hubbard and Painesville Ohio are good with Espar installation as well.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd call Espar and ask who they suggest near you. They may have an authorized installer not too far away who can do it for you. Worst case you waste a few cell minutes. Good luck.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My recommendation is Brian at Espar of Michigan. It's crazy how may Espar heaters they've installed. I'll leave it to Brian or Ray to divulge details, but they've installed entire fleets of trucks, vans and busses in other states, sometimes gone for days or weeks at a time. No one else can touch them in experience and variety of installs. They're the best.