Winter Driving???

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
I have two quick questions. First what do you guys use for them long drives on your back. I have a back brace with a lumbar support in it. I am thinking about buying a driving pillow. Thoughts?

Second I am no stranger to winter driving. I live in PA :( This will be my first winter State to State and driving a Cargo Van. Tires are expensive...I am thinking of buying a good set of All Weather Tires. Thoughts on that??? Any other tips are appreciated.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I have two quick questions. First what do you guys use for them long drives on your back. I have a back brace with a lumbar support in it. I am thinking about buying a driving pillow. Thoughts?

Second I am no stranger to winter driving. I live in PA :( This will be my first winter State to State and driving a Cargo Van. Tires are expensive...I am thinking of buying a good set of All Weather Tires. Thoughts on that??? Any other tips are appreciated.
Buy the good Michelin. 140000 k on mine now looks like they will make another winter haven't had to chain up yet with them and yep they cost but worth every penny

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have always run quality, all season tires on cargo vans. These seem to meet my needs for traveling different parts of the country during the winter. If I stayed in the snowbelt all winter I would probably go with snow tires. Snow tires are generally made of softer compounds and won't provide the mileage an all season tire will give you. But there are times I wish I was running them.

One tip for winter driving I like to offer, and most drivers don't do it, is keep the cab cool when driving in falling snow. Turn off the defroster and run the heat out the floor vents. Snow won't build up on a cool windshield unless it is heavy wet snow. Always carry extra warm clothes, a good cold weather sleeping bag and extra food. Or better yet, to quote DaveKC, stay south of I-40.

neilblack

Rookie Expediter

I caught you having a back issue.
Making a buck is one thing but a back injury is nothing to ignore.

Reactions: TDave

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like my grandfather always said, "Never skimp on tires or batteries."

For the long drives, I use an Oregon Aero portable Softseat (with the full cushion back). It's designed for aviation, but works perfectly for what he do. I first got just the cushion with the lumbar support, but immediately realized I needed the full back support (which also comes with its own lumbar support). I know some people you find just the cushion and lumbar is perfect for them. I would encourage you to read around their Web site for complete information on the seats and why they're so good. It also would benefit you to read the reviews at Amazon, as some of the talk about precisely your concern. All I can tell you is, after long drives I'm not stiff or sore, nor wore out. It's expensive, but it's worth every penny at twice the price. I've had mine for about 10 years now.

They come in ½", 1" and 2" thickness. Thicker is better. If it makes you too high, just drop the seat down. I have the 2" cushion (the back is also 2", but that's the only size it comes in).

Oregon Aero Portable Seating Systems

Oregon Aero Softseat - Amazon

Reactions: TDave and neilblack

Nytmare897

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle Great advice on the cushion. Now these All weather tires...IF I do decide to get Winter tires, I know the van is RWD. So I would get 2 tires for the rear. BUT would it help to get two for the front??? Or just be a waste of money?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Others, I'm sure, feel differently, but in expediting I think winter tires are a waste of money. For the most part, after it snows the roads are cleared rather quickly, so you aren't driving on roads where you actually need snow tires. Granted, even days after the main roads are clear, there can be some secondary roads and shipper/receiver lots that are pretty rough, but good all-weather tires with at least 6/32 of tread can handle that, generally speaking. If your expediting life keeps you running anywhere between western NY/PA, Michigan, Chicago, Wisconsin and Minnesota, then snow tires for the winter is probably a good idea. But more likely, the overwhelming majority of the miles you put on your snow tires, like 95% or better, is going to be on asphalt or concrete that is free of snow, which just wears the tires out quicker.

I've had winters where not once did I drive on snow covered roads. Plenty of snow off the roads, in the fields and yards and everywhere else, but not on the roads. I've certainly been in situations where I wish I had snow tires, but those are few and far between compared to the times I was driving on clear pavement. If it's bad enough that you shouldn't be driving, snow tires are not likely to make the difference in expediting. Living and working in Duluth, MN, yes, in expediting, not so much. If it's that bad, pull off the road and wait for the roads to be cleared.

If I had to make an estimate, I would guess that, on the average, there are probably about 10 days per year (Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar) that I wish I had snow tires on the van. For me, that's just not enough to justify snow tires all winter.

If you do decide to get snow tires, get four of them. Mixing snow tires and all-season tires on the same vehicle causes the front and rear axles to have unequal traction and control. That seriously impacts the safety and handling capability of the vehicle, especially in emergency situations. Having good traction on the drive tires, but not being able to steer, kinda defeats the whole purpose of having snow tires in the first place.

Since this will be your first winter expediting, I'd suggest just going with some good all-season tires, and by the end of December you'll know if you need to buy snow tires.

Reactions: artie

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never had snow tires just good all seasons. Like turtle I see no real need for it. We drive on dry pavement so much I think you could wear out a set in one season.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Another recommendation to get four winter tires, if you go that route. Propelling you forward is one thing, but what if you need to stop quickly? Good winter tires greatly decrease stopping distances. Since front brakes do 80-90 percent of the work, it only makes sense to put them up front.

You know the idiots in front of you are going to all crash into each other. Unless you want to join them, put winters up front too.

Reactions: Turtle

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
You know the idiots in front of you are going to all crash into each other. Unless you want to join them, put winters up front too.

Quite a bit of truth there, you need to have the whoa as well as the go. I more worry about ice/black ice than snow. I live in the NW, we do get snow covered roads, sometimes for days, but east of the Rockies, shoot it is usually bare pavement, especially on the big road. Because of the lack of need for traction, the last straight truck I was driving got an all position tire, eight drive tries and a diff lock if needed, better ride, better tire life, less tire noise, etc.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I'll add my vote for no snow tires. I only recall one time when I had trouble with the snow, and that was backing up a ramp after a fresh six inches of sloppy white nuisance. Had to get a little running start and got to the top of the ramp without driving through the back wall of the warehouse. Any other snow storms and I'd just sit 'til roads cleared.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many western states routinely have chains required for days at a time in the winter on the mountain passes, way of life. If/when I own my own truck, automatic chains will be installed.

Shelby
I still won't run with chains. I will carry chains on my vehicle for certain states but will not put on. Oh by the way I don't run west coast and rocky my sister anymore so I don't need chains.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Best I've found is 6.50 now I've found a few minis that payed good but I try to stay in the 450 miles to 900 miles