Windows 7

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not yet but soon I hope. I have a "free" upgrade coming on a Vista machine. As soon as I can get it I will post on it. Still trying to figure out how to get it.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
I downloaded the beta version of windows 7 and to be honest I like it... it will take a little getting used to because the menus are different but once you get to used to it, it's not to bad.... It was a heck of a lot faster on my laptop everything seemed to load faster and it didn't seem to take as much resources... and battery life I thought was longer but I didn't time it...

I know that I will be getting a new computer soon with it on it so now all I have to do is find a new laptop cheap :p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Got my copy, well it is sitting right over there (pointing to the box of Microsoft software that goes unopened). I am still in my "if it is free to the world, it can't be all that bad" stage of life and use Linux.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I installed the Home Premium version over the existing Vista program on my desktop yesterday. (10-25-09).

Am running a fast machine (dual core, 4 gigs ram, etc., etc., ) and the installation, though very easy, took almost 2 hours. Guess it depends on the processor(s) and probably more importantly the programs and the data on the existing hard drive.

Not much difference in the speed of the system, but I was pleasantly suprised that every single program runs !! Even fired up MagicJack without a problem.

Win 7 even checked all existing drivers and will even update them online to make sure their current

Don't know if it the offer is still available, but I pre-ordered the system from Best Buy online for $49.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After a couple of hiccups where nothing would install, nothing whatsoever (massive errors in the MS installer, even for programs that were designed for 7), I got that straightened out, got online and it downloaded all the latest drivers and it's up and running. I have a few things I still need to reinstall, but all in all I like it a lot better than Vista.

They keep changing the Interface and where things are located, and I'm much more of a fan of the speedier Classic Start Menu of XP (in NT/2000 mode), but apparently to many people pretty trumps performance. A few tweaks will handle most of it, everything else doesn't take very long at all to get used to.

It's a lot faster than Vista or XP, that's for sure, and it's stingy on the resources for the most part. I've got a 4gig flash card stuck n the side of my laptop, and while Vista used it for the ReadyBoost with marginal improvements, performance shines with 7. (I can't wait until I grab a W48gig SSD ExpressCard drive and see what happens :D ).

If you're planning on getting a new computer in the next year, I wouldn't mess with upgrading to Windows 7, since it'll be on whatever Windows box you buy. Otherwise, it's a solid upgrade over previous versions.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Hello my laptop is 4 years old but runs good though the vista upgrade wasnt as good as they said it would be now thinking of upgrade to 7-32 bit says if I want the 7-64 bit would need to add more ram. I dont really want to spend the money for a new laptop at this time maybe late next year but not now and not sure the extra money for more ram would be worth the difference between the 7-32 bit and 64 bit. so far sounds like people like the 7 interested to see what more people think of it

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't Buy A Mac

Don't Buy A Mac

IMO - They are at least 2x more costly, the software . . . you'll will wait for months, even years, before it's available.

Before I took an early retirement (1997) I was a superintendant of a large Legal Printing Shop.

Mgts'. "consultants" reccomendded an all Mac envrionment because of the graphics and the use of the then QUAARK program, made for pagination (which the company paid the consultants to retrain the "dumb PC employees".

I argued against the over-priced Macs, but the company decided to purchase the Macs anyway.

Happy to say that after I left in '97, the company folded in 2002, due to the cost of ever-increasing over-bloated upgrades of the Mac machines. Nothing has changed since then. Overpriced networks, hardrives, perpiherals, etc., etc.

So . . . bottome line. If you want to think you are someone special (because I own an Apple) or, if you want the same computation power for at least 50% less, buy a clone.

I was going to sign off "Just My 2 cents" but, how could the business community throughout the world reject Apple products and select the PC Clones ??

Here is the answer. Bottom Line. Less Profit running Macs.