Cargo Van Will we be able to work through Coronavirus?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
And on another front, new testing machine is getting shipped out by J&J. Huge plus. Can do.a test and have results in 15 minutes. Ships tonight

Reactions: piper1 and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Did they say what kind of masks they'll be making there? I'm guessing the face shields with the clear plastic shield. But maybe not. I just know how difficult it is to make N95 masks. You need special machines to make the material, but I guess they could be outsourcing that.
Looks like level 1 surgical masks. The figure is 50,000 to start and then up to 100,000 per day. I thought I heard a higher figure on the radio, but the articles I looked up say 50 to 100, 000 per day.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For the curious, attached is a guide to face mask types.

Attachments

• guide20to20face20mask20selection20and20use20-202017.pdf
    233.1 KB · Views: 10

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Did i hear right at the press conference that there have been discussions that there is the possibility that everyone will be required to wear a mask some time in the future?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did i hear right at the press conference that there have been discussions that there is the possibility that everyone will be required to wear a mask some time in the future?
I missed that, but it's possible. Japan, Korea, Indonesia, they've been wearing masks in default for years, mainly to deal with air pollution, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they had low transmission rates.

Plus, I think the American people are beginning to catch on to the CDC's and WHO's con game about N95 masks in particular not being effective, unless you work at a hospital where they are not only effective, but essentially effective. Lol

Reactions: muttly

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't play with this thing. I have a friend who just died of this disease. It got to him on a Friday and by the next Saturday night he was dead. The ventilator did not save him. I work cleaning buildings and am a high risk because of medical issues. I'm scared, but what can you do. Wearing masks would really stop this thing tough. If you keep your droplets to yourself and other also have protection, and wash hands and wear gloves, this thing will not spread nearly as much. People are still not taking this seriously. It's not just to prevent yourself from getting sick, it's to prevent the vulnerable from getting sick. Once they start universal DNR's, it's not going to be a pretty sight to see. People who are already sick or elderly will be sent home to die, while those that have a better chance of survival will receive the scant amount of ventilators that are left. I am not a Trump supporter, but I also do not blame him for this, nor do I agree with the media attacking him over this. It's time to come together as a country. Also, don't think Jesus is going to save you from this. My friend was a pastor for 40 years. We are all susceptible to this thing. I'm gonna make it easy on the docs in my case, I will voluntarily sign a DNR. Please be mindful of other people who are older and not that well off physically.

Reactions: ntimevan

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
On another note, I've begun to pray to Saint Purell, Saint Clorox, and Saint N95. This is the holy trinity of protection. Patron saints of corona. In science we trust needs to be placed on our currency after this pandemic. If you are vulnerable, please do not feel bad about taking some time off work and hunkering down. Better to be broke than to be underground. That's just my opinion. I hope each and every one of you remains safe and also your friends and family.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, I have no illusions. I'm over 60, overweight, type II diabetes, coronary artery disease, and COPD. (overweight and diabetes seems to be a couple of the biggest factors, oddly enough).

According to the doctors on the front lines, keep your distance, 6 feet minimum, but it's probably going to take more prolonged exposure to someone infected within 6 feet, like 15-30 minutes, in order to catch it (unless they cough or sneeze on you, of course). But the primary means of transmission, according to the doctors, is having the virus on your hands and then touching your face. If you wash your hands every time you touch something, like 20 times a day, and don't touch your face, you're probably gonna be fine.

For most people, wearing a mask reminds them not to touch their face. If you don't have an N95 mask, any mask is better than no mask. Paper towels three layers thick, will actually filter out nearly the same 95% as an N95 mask. Wrap the paper towels in a bandana or something, and secure it over your mouth and nose with rubber bands or something. If you wear a mask, and then take it off, wash your hands immediately in case any virus is on the outside of your mask. Then spray the mask with Lysol, or discard the mask.

I have a small stash of N95 masks in the van. When I'm not in the van I'm wearing a mask.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's what I might do. I have food stocked in freezer for 3 months. I only see 2 guys every Thursday when I clean their office and barely get close to them. I do not touch my face at all or any part of my body. After I clean a building, I exit using my back to open the doors after I wash my hands and arms for 20 seconds. Then I put on gloves and drive to the next site and repeat. When I get home I toss all clothes into the washing machine and wash hands and arms while only in my undies. Then once hands are clean I put on new clothes. I then spray the door handles with ammonium chloride and let it sit there for 10 minutes. Other than the three work days, I am home the rest of the time. I use gloves when getting gas, then I take the gloves off with a paper towel and have clean hands underneath. I put the debit card on the table and do not use that one again for 2 weeks. It's just so exhausting doing all of this because I go between 4 buildings a shift and it is a lot of thinking and effort on my part to do all these rituals. I feel like an OCD patient now. I have all the conditions you listed and then some. If I survive a ventilator I would really have to say why lol. I have already survived two major medical events.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Some of the things I'm hearing on radio in Michigan. From Doctor: not too excited about hydochlorquine because not proven.
You can have covid without a fever. 70 to 90% though.
So if people are checking themselves for fever and is normal you still may have it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
How is everyone doing? Any freight moving?
Have the truck stops adapted to social distancing and sanitizing there facilities? Anyone having trouble getting food or supplies? Any trouble moving between states? (Florida now has checkpoints on all the roads coming into the state. Commercial traffic is being passed through.) Are the rest areas open? I've been home for 12 days trying to avoid people.
Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Reactions: muttly and ntimevan

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Just throwing this question out there. Is 50% alcohol definitively too low to make hand sanitizer with aloe? I heard at least 60 %. Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How is everyone doing? Any freight moving?
Have the truck stops adapted to social distancing and sanitizing there facilities? Anyone having trouble getting food or supplies? Any trouble moving between states? (Florida now has checkpoints on all the roads coming into the state. Commercial traffic is being passed through.) Are the rest areas open? I've been home for 12 days trying to avoid people.
Everyone stay safe and healthy.
If I had to guess, using minimal information, I'd say freight is down at least 50%. But there is fright moving.

I haven't heard of any issues moving between states.

Supplies like hand sanitizer, Kleenex, wipes, those are pretty scarce right now. Easier to get those than N95 masks, tho.

At this point, most of the truck stops have it together. 2 she 3 weeks ago, not so much. 3 weeks ago I was mumbling "six feet six feet six feet" like a crazy person talking to himself, just to get people to get away from me in thy truck stops. Now people are much better with that.

The truck stop restaurants (fast food) are closing early, 9 or 10 pm5. The sit-down restaurants are either take-out only or closed completely. No self serve things like hot dogs and other roller grill items.

Rest areas seem to be mostly open.

Reactions: jjoerger

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Hospitals say above 60%. If you have time, they put it to the test in this article

Ok thanks. I have about a quarter bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol left and also found some 50% in a bottle. Didn't know if i could mix the two to make it last longer and keep the alcohol content above 60% and mix it along with my aloe.
The hoarders took all the store bought.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pilot/J's are noticeably cleaner than normal (so they are almost respectable now lol), tape at 6ft on the floor etc. Food is harder to get at night for sure and you need to do a lot of pro active restroom planning, basically if you find one open where you are, force yourself to go. Watch the fuel prices in an area before you accept a load. Despite some carriers saying we should all be accepting lower rates because of cheaper fuel...it hasn't fallen equally, some places not so much at all (eg the Greensboro to Raliegh NC area it's only come down about 5 cents this month, Laredo it's down 30). Especially important if you are having to chase loads more or return home empty.