Cargo Van Will we be able to work through Coronavirus?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Just wondering if I should keep trucking, or start heading home?
Your Exempt:

The Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has issued guidance on Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers during the coronavirus pandemic.

The CISA guidance, as listed, identifies those essential in transportation and logistics as:
• Workers supporting or enabling transportation functions, including dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers who maintain and inspect infrastructure, including those that require cross-border travel.
• Postal and shipping workers, including private companies.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I cant believe i acctually agree with Bannon.
The problem is, Trump doesn't really have the authority to issue a national lockdown. He can quarantine certain individuals, he can quarantine certain regions, and he can prevent the spread of disease across state lines and at the borders, but only the states can issue a statewide lockdown. The federal government cannot interfere with the emergency response of state or local governments.

Because the president doesn't have the explicit authority to issue a national quarantine, he could still do it, but there would be copious amounts of legal challenges. The courts, in time of an epidemic, may very well side with the federal government, but it's never happened before so we don't know.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's sickening that Republican Governors and Trump continue to look at the pandemic along party lines.
It certainly would be if that were even remotely true, but it's not.
It's a serious problem in NY, CA, WA, etc ..... Why should I shut down my state when the numbers are low?
All three of the governors of those states have gone out of their way to praise Trump and his response. Are you not aware of that? As to your question, that's one you should ask of your governor.

Reactions: muttly

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario as of 23:59 tomorrow....shut down for 14 days.

The federal lockdown thingy is complicated up here too, and we have a way more overreaching federal gov than the US. Our Prime Minister is the polar opposite of Trump, and he too is letting the individual provinces make those decisions instead of it being a federal mandate.

One thing...our main media is being very cautious to politicize this. It started to and then it stopped and hasn't come back. I wish that for you Americans. Any politician pointing blame and thinks that is "doing something" instead of actually doing something I hope does not get re-elected.

I also don't think it would matter much who sits in the big chair.....governments of all stripes all over the world are having difficulty. It isn't political....making it so solves nothing.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion, for Canadians with 3 main parties and untold other ones, it reinforces the fact that GOVERNMENT CAN'T HELP. It makes no difference what party gets elected.

With Kenesyian economics, the average person loses no matter who's in power.

Your power lies in what you do, by yourself and for yourself, in your own life. Anything else is a distraction. A hobby, like sports...

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

dalscott

Expert Expediter
The problem is, Trump doesn't really have the authority to issue a national lockdown. He can quarantine certain individuals, he can quarantine certain regions, and he can prevent the spread of disease across state lines and at the borders, but only the states can issue a statewide lockdown. The federal government cannot interfere with the emergency response of state or local governments.

Because the president doesn't have the explicit authority to issue a national quarantine, he could still do it, but there would be copious amounts of legal challenges. The courts, in time of an epidemic, may very well side with the federal government, but it's never happened before so we don't know.

Legal challenges never stopped him before.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While Trump isn't perfect, there is one commonality Trump shares with Jesus; crucifixion. Trump has been figuratively crucified for the past 3½ years.

And deservedly so.
Exactly! Trump is a threat to the Washington establishment and the Democrats. Jesus was a threat to the Roman establishment and the Jews. Both these heretics needed to be dealt with using extreme measures. Both deserve (deserved) a painful death.

• Haha
Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's sickening that Republican Governors and Trump continue to look at the pandemic along party lines.
It's a serious problem in NY, CA, WA, etc ..... Why should I shut down my state when the numbers are low?
We should have imposed a national shutdown last week.
Trump continues his dismal leadership.

Steve Bannon: We Need A "Full Shutdown" Right Now; "Go Full Hammer On The Virus"
Looks like your Governor agrees with Trump and wants to open back up for business, sooner rather than later. Lol.Screenshot_20200323-202050.png

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Will everyone quit being a big sissy...……...its a :censoredsign: out here but it will go away someday, suck it up , its an unfortunate situation, anyway Autozone is open,,see its not so bad, lol Hey CVS and Wagreens are hiring 50,000 ...goodness

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where is the disconnect?

This isn't about not getting Covid-19. This is ONLY about slowing the rate of infection so people aren't in the hallways dying with no care, in an overflowing hospital where the death rate spikes to say 7% due to the aforementioned lack of care.

This Covid-19 has a huge chance of landing you in the hospital, and a comparatively huge chance of landing you on a ventilator to stay alive. With overcrowding, YOU DON'T GET THAT VENTILATOR. You get a nasty choking death in a hallway filled with people.

This isn't specifically directed at anyone here. But anyone in politics talking about the recovery NOW has just told the world how intensely stupid they really are.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Where is the disconnect?

This isn't about not getting Covid-19. This is ONLY about slowing the rate of infection so people aren't in the hallways dying with no care, in an overflowing hospital where the death rate spikes to say 7% due to the aforementioned lack of care.

This Covid-19 has a huge chance of landing you in the hospital, and a comparatively huge chance of landing you on a ventilator to stay alive. With overcrowding, YOU DON'T GET THAT VENTILATOR. You get a nasty choking death in a hallway filled with people.

This isn't specifically directed at anyone here. But anyone in politics talking about the recovery NOW has just told the world how intensely stupid they really are.

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! Turn off your television and avoid social media. Oh yeah, wash your hands.
Haven't watched tv since 1997.

We have a terminally ill daughter at home and run our own "icu" at home. With ventilator, and g tube. Had to take many a weekend course at the Toronto Sick Kids hospital for that privilege. 6 months worth of ventilator training yada yada.

Even the hint of things going back to normal at this time is going to cause further sickness and death because people aren't taking this seriously.

Now, since we practice "hallway medicine" already in Canada I'm a little more sensitive. But I don't get it. Italy is not a third world country. Does that news not get into USA?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what my age is - 45 - and I'm not personally worried about myself.

Here's a screenshot from your CDC on age and prognosis (specifically likelihood of a hospitalization with covid-19). If you aren't worried about yourself and don't care about other people, I suppose I don't have an answer for that. Last post on the subject for me.

Screenshot_20200324-095558_Chrome.jpg

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know what my age is - 45 - and I'm not personally worried about myself.

Here's a screenshot from your CDC on age and prognosis (specifically likelihood of a hospitalization with covid-19). If you aren't worried about yourself and don't care about other people, I suppose I don't have an answer for that. Last post on the subject for me.

View attachment 19936

For people that like to keep there head in the sand...

New data from the Centers for Disease Control show it’s not just the elderly who are vulnerable to a severe case of COVID-19. Young people are at risk too.
The CDC looked at about 2,500 cases in the U.S. between Feb. 12–March 16 and found around 40% of those patients needing hospitalization were between the ages of 20 and 54.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It certainly would be if that were even remotely true, but it's not.
All three of the governors of those states have gone out of their way to praise Trump and his response. Are you not aware of that? As to your question, that's one you should ask of your governor.

I've been following along. I've heard governors thank Trump for basically doing his job. After all, his ego needs to be continuously stroked.

As for the governor of my state, yesterday he issued a measure to discourage gatherings of 3 or more people in public. Even though businesses are open all over the state and they are not following the spatial distancing guidelines issued by the CDC.
Soooo, out in public stay away from each other .... at work you're SOL! Mind boggling ...

Last edited: