Wide Singles

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Is anybody out there running wide singles on their straight truck. According to Michellins web site they have a lower trouble call percentage than dual set ups, and Kevin on XM seems to like them.

I just put Michellins on the front and they sure do ride better than the bridgestones I had

Booker

Expert Expediter
We we built our new SST100 we ordered the Michelin Super Singles from the factory. The truck has been on the road for a year and the tires have worn well. We have tandem axles on the rear and a 14,000# front axle. We also have Michelin tires on the front.
The team driving the truck said that the ride and stability is better than any other truck they have driven and the traction in rain or snow is very good. At the FedExCC Skills Challenge on Saturday we were able to talk to reps from Michelin and they were very helpful. They gave us good information on maintaining the tires and to visit their web site, Michelin Americas Truck Tires Home Page for tips.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have been running the SS about a year and we will spec them on our next truck. We have felt a noticeable difference in the way our truck rides. We bought ours before we really started listening to Kevin and we bought the deep lug and it took awhile to notice a measurable fuel savings. So when you go to purchase yours buy the kind Kevin recommends!

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hi , EASYRADER...
thats a great idea !
one thing to keep in mind , is truction !
if you all ready have aluminiom weels , you will gaine only little when it come to the advantege of a wide single tire ( wight , mpg , ext..)
you can go back to the Michellins web site calcolator , and enter , the fuel-max dully to find the saving , and then compeer it to the Xone ,
you will see , as i did , that the return on the invesment is more then 3 years at 100,000 mile per year !
its just that the fuel-max is so good , that it take longer to "buy" the wide rim.
amaisinlly , the Bridston wide is getting a better results at the Michellins calcolator...
keep in mind that the best time to invests in wide-tires , is when you have to replace mosts of your tires anyway.
as a rule , wide tires are like the VIKING , you eider like them or hate them...
Moose.

Booker

Expert Expediter
We enjoyed the Skills Challenge this year. There were a lot of vendors there with loads of good information. Many prizes, including over a $1,000.00 in fuel cards, were given out.

The highlight of the event for us was, one of the independent contractors who sublet our truck, won the driving competition in the single straight truck division. Steve Brothers, took home first place this year. What a thrill! Steve team drives with his wife Jean.

I'm always amazed at the amount of information I take away from an event like this from talking to contractors, vendors and FedExCC personnel.

See you at the expo in July.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am still concerned about winter traction. Maybe Bob and Linda can expound on that. When I was learning to drive a car the rule was wide tires for mub, narrow tires for snow. We always changed to 1 or 2 sizes narrower in the winter. Maybe with new compounds that rule no longer holds true? This past winter I was parked next to a truck with XOnes on it. It was a tractor with a full load on the trailer. I was running with a load of about 200lbs. I "walked" right out of the parking spot, I have duellies, the other driver was just spinning. Maybe he did not know how drive in the stuff, I don't know. What happens to the savings when you factor in the cost of new chains? Mine will not work on the singles. I have been thinking of the singles on my lift axle. less wieght, no chains. I need my crystal ball to work better than it has been lately. Layoutshooter

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if the savings vs the expense will ever match up to a savings to warrant the investment for the change over (wheels) Buying new NO BRAINER.

If you have 4 wheels now I really believe just changing over to the Michelin's that Team C has mentioned in the other post that the improvement alone without the investment of new rims one cannot save the difference in the investment to change over.

I will not consider going super singles on what I have now, but paying extra for Michelins will be one of my next investments.

I am also driving a TT and not a Straight Truck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A year or two ago, when the subject of wide singles (super singles) came up, people often mentioned the risk of having a flat wide single and being unable to get a quick replacement. It is interesting to see people are not mentioning that now. Market acceptance and tire store support for wide singles seems to have changed.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I used to be a wide single, then I got married!!!!

i was getting wider sitting at home but then went on the road and lost 10 lbs!!

seriously, ask a loves or pilot tanker guy how they feel on the tractor. i was told when full loaded it was fine. when mt it was slippery but that was a t/t.

teamc.....how are they in the rain wet and snow?

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
they still have a football team in Minneapolis? wow spooky!

Hi new here first post running expedite for pather 6 months now.starting to run the numbers of having my own truck,what do i want on it with it ect.One of those considerations is going with SS. so i have two questions today,trust me these are the first of many to fallow.

Anybody running the SS with a single axel truck,becouse at night peices of metal and stuff jump up and bite yur tires,seen it happen trust me.i know you will get a flat just don't know how offten it does happen.

second question if you had a pusher axil on your truck would the one tire be able to limp you to the next exit?