Why is it?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Why is it that no matter how expensive, no matter how installed, no matter how well adjusted, no matter how well maintained...why is it that the windshield wiper on the driver's side will ALWAYS streak, not above...not below...but right at the driver's eye level? The passenger wiper can be hanging by it's rubber blade and that SOB will clean that passenger window clean as a whistle. BUT the driver's will smear and steak EVERYTIME right at your eye level. Why Is That? Anyone? Anyone?:confused:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
LOL!! I agree! Come on, Turtle, you should be able to explain this. There HAS to be a reason for this!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For the same reason that when you are working on your truck and drop something, and there is a 50 percent chance it will roll down the storm drain, it will roll down the drain 100 percent of the time.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Oh Jenny, that was cold.:rolleyes:

But I would like to hear the answer as well to this lifelong dilemma.

It was meant as a joke, But its true. Ours has its quirks as well. Very similar. The drivers side wiper arm was the one that broke off, and the wiper on that side was always wonky.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Same here, in my GMC van...driver's side is not only smeared but the wiper managed to get gritty in just the wrong spot one bad winter storm following a sand truck, and is now permanently marked with a very fine band of scratches in a lovely arc, the top of which is right at eye level.

Sort of like having my own little Milky Way in my windshield.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever this force or power is, it also directs rocks and pregnant June bugs to the eye level section of the driver's side of the windshield.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always wondered why British cars have the steering wheel on the right. Now I know!

In medieval times with the knights....they always passed their enemy to the left as they attacked....since most are right handed and could swing their sword at the passing enemy better.

guido4475

Not a Member
It was meant as a joke, But its true. Ours has its quirks as well. Very similar. The drivers side wiper arm was the one that broke off, and the wiper on that side was always wonky.

I know it was. So was mine, That was the reason for the smiley face.:)

guido4475

Not a Member
In medieval times with the knights....they always passed their enemy to the left as they attacked....since most are right handed and could swing their sword at the passing enemy better.

I am not worthy to have this great wealth of knowledge parked next to me....lol...get-attachment (1).jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
Same here, in my GMC van...driver's side is not only smeared but the wiper managed to get gritty in just the wrong spot one bad winter storm following a sand truck, and is now permanently marked with a very fine band of scratches in a lovely arc, the top of which is right at eye level.

Sort of like having my own little Milky Way in my windshield.

My whole windshield is like that, Fine scratches everywhere. I just had it replaced last summer...I am wondering if there isd some kind of glass polish or something to take those scratches out...it drives me crazy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My driver side wiper has always been "wonky" as well. Streaks, uneven wiping, even missed some spots. Tried every wiper blade there is, nothing worked. A few weeks ago the arm broke near the base. Just snapped off one day. I replaced it the next day, and reused the same blade, and ever since it's been scary good. The perfect wiper. I don't know whether to thank God now that it's working, or to blame Him because he thought I was Job for 6 years.

guido4475

Not a Member
My driver side wiper has always been "wonky" as well. Streaks, uneven wiping, even missed some spots. Tried every wiper blade there is, nothing worked. A few weeks ago the arm broke near the base. Just snapped off one day. I replaced it the next day, and reused the same blade, and ever since it's been scary good. The perfect wiper. I don't know whether to thank God now that it's working, or to blame Him because he thought I was Job for 6 years.

Perhaps the spring inside the wiper arm was losing it's tension over time? I replaced mine a coupe of years ago from Ford, 15 bucks each side. It did help.