why is a CDL required?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Once you get Panther's system figured out, once you embrace the stupidity, learn to work within that stupidity and use the stupidity to your advantage, you can make good money with them, in spite of them. I complain about them all the time, but I've been with them for 4 years for a reason. :D

All carriers will drive you crazy. My previous carrier drove me crazy, just about different things than Panther does. The trick is finding one that drives you crazy in ways you can live with.

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
thanks turtle! there's alot of wisdom in that shell! LOL and thank you all each and everyone of you for your help!:)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I don't doubt what you are saying, but according the DOT regulations, and the Texas Department of Public Safety, you can't.

From the Texas Department of Safety, Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Handbook:
Bold emphasis mine.

Under Class C above, 1, 2 and 3 all require applicable endorsements. If the vehicle or combination of vehicles do not fit the criteria for a Class C, then a Class C CDL should not be issued, any more than a Class B or Class A CDL would be issued if a vehicle does not meet the criteria for Class B or Class A vehicles. So I dunno.

All I know is what I've read at the FMSCA Web site, and Web sites of several states including Kentucky, Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, Utah, New Jersey and New York, which all pretty much mirror the DOT's regulations, especially since any states that issue an interstate CDL must comply with the DOT's national regulations and standards for CDL's, and the fact that since Panther requires a CDL for cargo vans, the question of obtaining a Class C CDL for a cargo van without an endorsement comes up a lot, lot, lot, and the answer is always the same, even for van drivers out of Texas, of which the answer is that a Class C CDL without an endorsement doesn't exit.

It's pretty kewl that you've got one, tho. But I wouldn't recommend thoroughly questioning the clerk at the Texas Driver License office when it comes time for renewal. It's like, HAZMAT endorsements are supposed to be renewed every two years, but I have a four year expiration on my CDL and HAZMAT endorsement.

I know the requirement classifications of A B & C CDL's like I know the back of my hand. (Grandfathers Saying)

Despite what is "written" in the requirements and regulations, one can, at least in Texas, go in and take the "General Questions" Test for their CDL License on their own. All you have to study is Part One, Sections 1 - Introduction, 2 - Driving Safely, and 3 - Transporting Cargo Safely and also Part 3, Section 11 - Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection Test of the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook, and then go in and take the quick computer test on these sections only to get a Class C CDL with No Endorsements. Any other sections beyond these would require an actual driving test that would bump you up to a Class B license at the very least.

Yes, I have optional endorsements available, "P" - Passenger and "H" Hazmat, but I wasn't going to be hauling neither when I got this license so I didn't even bother studying for them.

Might've been bragging a little earlier when I said "2-3 hours of reading" before I took the test. I did study the book off and on over a weekend period before I took the test, but not very hard, and I still scored a 97 out of 100 first try.

I have been told by a State Trooper here in Texas during an inspection one day that said I have a very rare CDL License and that he had only seen 1 other like it over the years. When most people seek out a "CDL" License, they are told what "others" believe they must have, IE- A,B,Doubles,HazMat,Airbrakes,ETC, so that is what they seek. I had a full blown Class A years and years and ago. When I was getting into hauling Automotive Freight out of the DFW area for 3PL companies over 10 years ago, I knew I didn't really need a CDL for the weight I would be hauling, (truck - 11500GVWR - trailer - under 10K), but I went on ahead and got this CDL anyways. And a DOT physical (long form and card) just in case. I've had DOT personal from many states look over it at scale houses and have never been questioned on why there were no endorsements listed.

Yes, the clerk I spoke with first at the DMV questioned my CDL application, but then got her Supervisor (A DPS Trooper) who explained to her what it was I seeking. So, they gave me an updated manual, I came back a few days later and took the tests, and $60 later I had my Class C CDL with No Endorsements.

Here's a couple of pictures so that you can say "Yes, I have seen a Class C CDL License with No Endorsements". :D

First Picture shows my CDL C with the Restriction L on front and nothing in front of the Endorsement.

Second picture is of the back of my license which came out very poorly when I scanned it. (Tried 3 times) If you zoom in a little, you'll be able to slightly make out the word RESTRICTIONS, then below that the letter L, then a dash, and the words "Vehicle without airbrakes-CDL Only". Then below that you'll see the word ENDORSEMENTS with "No Endorsements" written beneath it. I'll try to scan a better one on my brothers computer next time I'm at his office, This was the best I could do with my POS $25 (regularly $99) Epson printer/copier/scanner,

(DO NOT LAUGH AT MY paintshop editting. Privacy you know!! If you Laugh, I'll keeeeeeellll youu!! :p )

Attachments

• License1.jpg
    License1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 28
  • License2.jpg
    License2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 17

Brisco

Expert Expediter
It must be a fake! It says your eyes are orange but they are DEFINITELY blue in the photo!

????

I get the "eyes are definitley BLUE" part :p, but where do you get the orange from? Maybe if you had put a :D at the end I might've gotten it.

Eye color says "GRY" for "Grey" eyes. I'm one of those odd ones who has Grey eyes. Doctor says maybe less than 5% of the "Caucasion" population have grey eyes. Yes, they are more of a dark silverish grey in color and have been "chick magnets" all my life. Not so much now that I'm 4 1/2 years from the age of 50, but were great to have in my teens, twentys, and thirtys. :D

guido4475

Not a Member
Let me know if I'm mistaken, but I believe that having a CDL also allows the carrier to include the van drivers in their alcohol/drug testing program, and a medical form completed to a certain health standard. Someone that isn't required to have a CDL could perhaps slide by some of the medical requirements that CDL holders must abide by. That makes the CDL a vehicle for weeding out certain people, even if it may not legally be required.[/QUO

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me know if I'm mistaken, but I believe that having a CDL also allows the carrier to include the van drivers in their alcohol/drug testing program, and a medical form completed to a certain health standard. Someone that isn't required to have a CDL could perhaps slide by some of the medical requirements that CDL holders must abide by. That makes the CDL a vehicle for weeding out certain people, even if it may not legally be required.

Good points PJ. Also the CDL program was set up to establish minimum knowledge and skills standards and attempt to eliminate multiple drivers licenses.

A large company that has more than 70% of it's drivers operating vehicles requiring a CDL probably find it simplifies things to require van drivers to have a CDL. This eliminates multiple licenses.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
????

I get the "eyes are definitley BLUE" part :p, but where do you get the orange from? Maybe if you had put a :D at the end I might've gotten it.

Eye color says "GRY" for "Grey" eyes. I'm one of those odd ones who has Grey eyes. Doctor says maybe less than 5% of the "Caucasion" population have grey eyes........

Sorry, I guess my own eyes aren't what they used to be. I've never seen or even heard of grey eyes before (maybe it's an American thang? but actually, the first thing that comes to mind is more of a devil thing!) And it kinda looked like the G was an O.. and then followed by an R, and I couldn't help just thinking of orange, well orangey to be exact, and well, 'orange' just seemed to be fitting becuz it seemed to go so well with your hair, you know? But I knew it must've been an error since you obviously have VERY sky blue eyes.... large too! I'll just BET they were chick magnets in your younger day! :)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The reason being; you're retarded. 4 years on July 22. Where did the time go?

Now, now, there is NO reason to make fun of the mental handicap, they did not ask to be that way, they was born that way. And just so you know, the word 'retarded' is no longer politically correct, it has been replaced with 'mentally handicap'.

All that aside, congrats Turtle on your upcoming anniversary! Do you have any plans to apply for a cheerleading position?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know the requirement classifications of A B & C CDL's like I know the back of my hand.
A lot of us do. I live in a small town, and the County Clerk (the one who does the drivers licenses) is a very good friend of mine. She knows all the rules backwards and forwards and all the little quirks and exceptions to be found within them, most of which I know, too, thanks to her. But like I said, I don't doubt that you've got a Class C with no endorsements, but according to the DOT and Texas regulations, you're not supposed to. Plus, the identical situation comes up on a regular basis with Panther drivers, and according to a Safety supervisor at Panther who keeps track of such things, not a single driver has a Class C without any endorsements attached. Lots of Class B's without endorsements, but no Class C's.

So when someone goes into a driver's license center and asks for a Class C without any endorsements, and they're told they can't get one, they're probably not going to get one. I certainly know I tried, hard, to no avail.

When mine next comes up for renewal, I will once again try to keep my Class C and drop the HAZMAT endorsement, but according to my County Clerk friend, that ain't gonna happen.

Despite what is "written" in the requirements and regulations, one can, at least in Texas, go in and take the "General Questions" Test for their CDL License on their own. All you have to study is Part One, Sections 1 - Introduction, 2 - Driving Safely, and 3 - Transporting Cargo Safely and also Part 3, Section 11 - Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection Test of the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook, and then go in and take the quick computer test on these sections only to get a Class C CDL with No Endorsements. Any other sections beyond these would require an actual driving test that would bump you up to a Class B license at the very least.
According to the DOT rules and regulations which all states are to follow, you must take a road test the first time you obtain your CDL (or regular license, for that matter), regardless of the Class, and the road test must be in the same class of vehicle as the CDL Class. After that initial road test, a written test is all that is required.

My van road test was administered by a DOT Vehicle Enforcement officer. We went through the whole deal, including pretending I was broke down on the side of the road where he questioned me about where to place the orange triangles, and after we went under a bridge he asked me what the clearance was under there, of which I had no clue. :D

But that was in an E-350 where you really don't have to be concerned about overhead clearances. In a Sprinter you sometimes do, especially now with mine having that VuQube sitting up there.

Might've been bragging a little earlier when I said "2-3 hours of reading" before I took the test. I did study the book off and on over a weekend period before I took the test, but not very hard, and I still scored a 97 out of 100 first try.
Most of the test is pretty easy, common sense type stuff that can be reasoned out even if you don't know the answer. I studied a few hours the night before I took mine and only missed one question, a question that they refused to tell me which one it was that I missed. Said they weren't allowed to. Said I had to go and read the book again. Goobers.

The HAZMAT test was different, that one required some real study, even though it turned out that I had studied way more than I really needed to. Got 'em all right, tho.

(DO NOT LAUGH AT MY paintshop editting. Privacy you know!! If you Laugh, I'll keeeeeeellll youu!! :p )
LOL The reason I didn't ask you to scan that before was because I believed you. ;)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
But like I said, I don't doubt that you've got a Class C with no endorsements, but according to the DOT and Texas regulations, you're not supposed to. Plus, the identical situation comes up on a regular basis with Panther drivers, and according to a Safety supervisor at Panther who keeps track of such things, not a single driver has a Class C without any endorsements attached.

And as you can tell in my badly scanned pic of the back of my license, I have a Class C CDL with No Endorsements. (front scanned just fine and I was even able to resize it - back of license got even blurrier when I tried to resize it - ????? - don't know why - maybe because it was ALL "black and white" on back??)

Now you can tell that "Safety Supervisor" at Panther that "HEY!! A Class C CDL without Endorsements does exist, I've seen one" next time the discussion comes up. :eek:

So when someone goes into a driver's license center and asks for a Class C without any endorsements, and they're told they can't get one, they're probably not going to get one. I certainly know I tried, hard, to no avail.

Like I said earlier, clerk behind counter was not that informed on what CDL I was trying to get. The 50 something year old Texas Trooper that was her Supervisor (Texas DPS Troopers run and manage the DMV's here in Texas) showed her what tests to give me on the computer and that was that.

When mine next comes up for renewal, I will once again try to keep my Class C and drop the HAZMAT endorsement, but according to my County Clerk friend, that ain't gonna happen.

I've renewed this CDL 1 time since I've had it, no problem. Renewal comes up every 6 years on your birthday. My renewal comes up again next year. If I'm still around and I remember this conversation, I'll let ya know if I had any problems.

According to the DOT rules and regulations which all states are to follow, you must take a road test the first time you obtain your CDL (or regular license, for that matter), regardless of the Class, and the road test must be in the same class of vehicle as the CDL Class. After that initial road test, a written test is all that is required.

I had a full blown "Class A" over 20 years ago and Yes, the whole process included a driving test. We even had to do a "hands on" Pre-trip back then. Not the "computer" pre-trip test that is administered today.

I let that Class A expire when I moved here to the DFW area back in 1989. Maybe my record of previously having a CDL was still there when I got this Class C CDL. No mention of a "driving test" ever came up when I took the tests for this CDL.

LOL The reason I didn't ask you to scan that before was because I believed you. ;)

You mean I went to all that trouble changing my looks from a Brad Pitt with grey eyes look to making myself look like a Jamaican Ronald McDonald with an afro and dreadlocks for nothing!!! :D

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
hello everyone! I strolled into my local tennessee DMV yesterday to take my class C CDL test and was told I had to take the hasmat also. the lady told me more the once I didn't need a CDL because as a van driver (that didn't seat 15 people or carry 26000 lbs. that a CDL was not required) I assured her the company TOLD me I had to have one.:confused:

Some carriers require it because it helps them get a better insurance rate. Why? Because the CDL handbook helps you understand stuff that the normal handbook never covers. The hope is that it will make you a better driver.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

zanico

Expert Expediter
As a "wanna be" who has been lurking on this site for a good 4 plus years, this has been the most informative thread I've read in a long time.